Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum

Anything Toyota Hiace related

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  

Share | 

airfilter troubles

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
roygee
Not so new now
Not so new now

Number of posts : 22
Registration date : 2007-09-22

PostSubject: airfilter troubles   Sat Apr 24, 2010 4:36 pm

hello members
i have a super custom 3 l turbo, i renewed the airfilter(donaldson), i noticed a 30% loss of power immediately. is there a difference in the air filters from a vehicle with turbo and a non turbo engine. my air filter has been matched to the old dimentions, it was supplied by a major airfilter manufacturer.there is no listing of any of the parts from toyota in australia,with the old air filter the the power is normal.
i took this up with the manufacturer, and i got a first time story from them.
my old airfilter and the new one looks identical,furthermore,at about 40ks onwards there is a very loud suctioning, hissing sound from the new airfilter.

anybody had any similiar experiences, any suggestions.

kind regards

roygee
Back to top Go down
View user profile
entwistlea
Im not old...just experienced
Im not old...just experienced

Number of posts : 324
Home City : Sandhurst, UK
Model and year : 1996 Super Custom Ltd. 3.0 TDI EFI
Registration date : 2009-09-19

PostSubject: Re: airfilter troubles   Sat Apr 24, 2010 5:26 pm

Sounds like the air is struggling to get through. This would suggest that the new filter isn;t very efficient, its not gto a protective coat on it that needs to be removed has it? Try putting the old filter in, if you get an immediate improvement then the filter you've been given is either a cheap copy of faulty.

If this doesn't resolve it then its possible that something has got lodged in the air intake somewhere...
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.hpi.co.uk
chrisandhiace
Hiace Master
Hiace Master

Number of posts : 502
Home City : Preston
Model and year : LH 107 4wd 1992
Registration date : 2008-11-18

PostSubject: Re: airfilter troubles   Sat Apr 24, 2010 10:02 pm

I'd look carefully at the top and bottom faces of the old and new filter...also measure.
It possible the old one was'nt fully sealing top and bottom, thereby allowing a percentage of unfiltered air through....which equates to less resistance/more air.
(The engine manual merely recommend back blowing the filter with an air jet)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
roygee
Not so new now
Not so new now

Number of posts : 22
Registration date : 2007-09-22

PostSubject: Re: airfilter troubles   Thu Apr 29, 2010 2:42 pm

AIR FILTER PROBLEMS SOLVED,READ ON

dear members

thanks for taking the time to respond to my air filter troubles. here is the good news,problem solved,i gave toyota every number, make model, etc.toyota supplied me witm a filter that was imported from japan.
the super custom now goes like the wind. the box is red with the logo, toyota genuine parts,the part number on the box for filter is,
(17801-30050).
the old filter which i fitted, was inspected , the paper element was distorted,and despite it having the correct dimentions,as the previous one,was certainly not suitable,for a 3L turbo diesel charged vehicle.
the filter that toyota supplied cost $85,00.the filter has the same dimention as the old ones, here is the difference, the number of folds or pletes around, is 144,and the old one has 120. as for the quality of the filter, second to none,the locally supplied filter looks a very imitation,when compared against the imported one. one more difference,there is no outer cage,just a inner .it also comes with mantaneance instructions, it must firstly be blown from inside out then washed in a bucket of water left to dry, and then reinstalled.it was very difficult to purchace any parts from toyota, as soon as a listing is not found, they refuse to help you any further,i got hold of the the parts manager, who imported it in.the manufacturer, who supplied the old fillter gives me a first encounter story,he has had in his 40 year career.
i am waiting for him to pass me a credit for my old filter which was $50.00

kind regards

roygee
Back to top Go down
View user profile
AussieQ
Hiace Master
Hiace Master

Number of posts : 884
Home City : Hervey Bay Qld
Model and year : 1994 sc
Registration date : 2008-08-15

PostSubject: Re: airfilter troubles   Thu Apr 29, 2010 11:31 pm

By my page
Code:
  http://www.toyodiy.com/parts/p_J_199409_TOYOTA_HIACE_KZH100G-MFPQT_1703.html

the filter is 1801-67040 so this could be a good thing you've found. Our local Toyota agent was a royal pain when I was trying to find control arm rubbers for rear suspension until they got a new bloke in parts then all went well.

I'm due to change ours (filter) so you have done me a favour. One thing the place it is in these vans it doesn't get all that dirty even on dirt roads.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
srburnsy
Hiace Master
Hiace Master

Number of posts : 450
Home City : AUS
Model and year : 4wd sc
Registration date : 2008-06-04

PostSubject: Re: airfilter troubles   Fri Apr 30, 2010 7:10 am

Don't stuff around with the OEM filters from Toyota, get the best! http://www.uniflow.com.au/
I put one in about 10000k ago - i get little bit better fuel economy and more power! part number is CKC145280SCP cheers
Back to top Go down
View user profile
kiwiace

Number of posts : 8
Home City : Avondale, Auckland, New Zealand
Model and year : 1992 Super Custom 2.8 Diesel 4WD
Registration date : 2010-04-24

PostSubject: Re: airfilter troubles   Fri Apr 30, 2010 11:32 am

does this uniflow filter just fit straight into the existing housing, or is it a different type of filter all together. I might be keen on one. Have to see if it fits the old 2.8 though!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
AussieQ
Hiace Master
Hiace Master

Number of posts : 884
Home City : Hervey Bay Qld
Model and year : 1994 sc
Registration date : 2008-08-15

PostSubject: Re: airfilter troubles   Fri Apr 30, 2010 9:33 pm

Will check this out. Looks like the local Repco is a dealer. Haven't seen an oiled filter for a while. The old truck filters had an oil bath in the base. Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
srburnsy
Hiace Master
Hiace Master

PostSubject: Re: airfilter troubles   Sat May 01, 2010 3:07 pm

They all have the same size filter box, even same size as my previous 96 model 2.4 petrol. I will post a pic of the new filter later.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
TINMAN
Been here a while
Been here a while

Number of posts : 183
Home City : Springside ~~~ QLD.~~AUSTRALIA
Model and year : SUPER CUSTOM HIACE 2000 AWD
Registration date : 2010-02-14

PostSubject: Re: airfilter troubles   Sun May 02, 2010 8:09 am

Thanks for all the info "SRBURNSY" Very Happy on the air filters i will go order one (uniflow) next week from repco Rolling Eyes and from all the info on the uniflow page sounds a better way to go than the paper ones Shocked that i have used on the commuter we do a lot of dirt roads and i can blow dust out of the paper element all day with H!/ air pressure!~! cheers
Again thanks for the help!! What a Face
Back to top Go down
View user profile
TINMAN
Been here a while
Been here a while

PostSubject: TO AUSSIEQ   Sun May 02, 2010 8:33 am

Just a Question "AUSSIE" Shocked would it be possible for you to take a photo of just how your NUGE~BAR Shocked is fixed to you SC Hiace please underneath the front ?? Shocked and any lengths that you would like to send me please i am going to build one from 65mm S/STEEL tube weld in the bends and then cut the welds back and polish ( i am a s/steel worker!) affraid affraid affraid
Merv.... cheers
Back to top Go down
View user profile
srburnsy
Hiace Master
Hiace Master

PostSubject: Re: airfilter troubles   Mon May 03, 2010 11:02 am

It's a pity your in WA Merv... I would get you to knock one up for me along with some serious bash plates as well. Laughing
Back to top Go down
View user profile
TINMAN
Been here a while
Been here a while

PostSubject: Re: airfilter troubles   Mon May 03, 2010 11:33 am

"WA" Shocked Shocked Shocked no sorrry Merv is in QLD cheers cheers yes i was thinking of doing that and sell one off for the cost Razz will look into the cost Very Happy
i can't bend s/steel in that diameter would be four bends welded in Cool
Back to top Go down
View user profile
srburnsy
Hiace Master
Hiace Master

PostSubject: Re: airfilter troubles   Mon May 03, 2010 1:57 pm

Oh yeah sorry Merv QLD haha Embarassed Must be those beers i was having at the time! Oh well thats good less to travel. lol!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: airfilter troubles   

Back to top Go down

airfilter troubles
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1