Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum

Anything Toyota Hiace related

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  

Share | 

need help with a 1kz-te blowing exhaust gas up thru coolant

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
michael c

Number of posts : 3
Home City : Wellington, NZ
Model and year : 1994 Hiace
full time 4wd
3l turbo diesel
1kz-te
Registration date : 2010-09-21

PostSubject: need help with a 1kz-te blowing exhaust gas up thru coolant   Fri Sep 24, 2010 1:31 pm

Hi all,
I recently took the radiator out of My 4wd 3l turbo hiace, within days of re-installing the fixed radiator I noticed bubbles coming up through the coolant water and its actualy bad enough that it will basically discharge about half the coolant from the system in the time it takes the engine to get up to full running temp - say 20mins driving.
The bubbles are accompanied by a blackish "scummy" gunk, which tells me its exhaust gas!

I take it this means the head is cracked or the head gasket is blown...
aside from the "normal" tear down the head repair/replacement...
I was wondering if anyone had tried these ceramic sealers "steel seal" chemiweld etc?
I was wondering if they still work against the flow of the leak?
i.e. if exhaust gas is firing INTO the coolant, can it seal against the pressure? (as opposed to a radiator stop-leak, which flows out through the leak)

Also, I have heard of people having problems with this stuff on turbos, supposedly the extra heat of the turbo can be a cause for the product to harden and cause blockages?

any info , or references to previous experiences would be greatly appreciated!!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Clive
Hiace Master
Hiace Master

Number of posts : 1094
Home City : Bristol UK
Model and year : 2003 Range Rover 4.4 goes like a rocket and drinks like Oliver Reed!
Registration date : 2008-11-05

PostSubject: Re: need help with a 1kz-te blowing exhaust gas up thru coolant   Sun Sep 26, 2010 6:23 pm

K-Seal may work but it sounds like you have a large crack. The heads crack between the valves, some of the combustion is forced into the water jacket. This in turn forces coolant out, the two together create high temps and make things worse.
Mine is doing the same it will tick over for an hour with nothing happening, spin round the block and the coolant has dropped, only a small amount in my case but getting worse.
New head should be with me by end of next week, may have some pictures.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
michael c

Number of posts : 3
Home City : Wellington, NZ
Model and year : 1994 Hiace
full time 4wd
3l turbo diesel
1kz-te
Registration date : 2010-09-21

PostSubject: Re: need help with a 1kz-te blowing exhaust gas up thru coolant   Mon Sep 27, 2010 3:20 am

thanks for the reply,
yes in the end i just researched endless forums on the different results people had with the various ceramic sealants. in new zealand, im guessing our equivalent to k-seal is "chem-i-weld.
after all the research I went ahead and applied it. I was very meticulous about how I did it as i was keen to avoid the problems others have had with it.
I am stoked to say for the time being it has worked !!!
I was worried because as you mentioned the crack was bad, in fact it was so bad it was difficult to apply as per the instructions, e.g. it would say "run engine until hot, then flush"
but the engine was blowing so much coolant out it wasnt able to get hot!!
So i had to be very cafeful about how i did it, I used a thermocouple type temperature gauge to monitor temp, and removed and tested the thermostat so I knew when it would open.
Still researching these heads as im preparing for the event that it eventually fails again.
let me know if you decide to use this product, Ill tr help out best I can !
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Clive
Hiace Master
Hiace Master

Number of posts : 1094
Home City : Bristol UK
Model and year : 2003 Range Rover 4.4 goes like a rocket and drinks like Oliver Reed!
Registration date : 2008-11-05

PostSubject: Re: need help with a 1kz-te blowing exhaust gas up thru coolant   Mon Sep 27, 2010 8:53 am

I put K-seal in back in June and it has lasted up to now, in so much that I can use the bus. November I will be able to take it off the road but I'll have a new head ready to fit should it die before then. Time. money and being dads taxi aliong with it being the sole family vehicle hinder when I can do it.
Well what is the worst that can happen I boil over and bend the head, I have recovery insurance.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: need help with a 1kz-te blowing exhaust gas up thru coolant   

Back to top Go down

need help with a 1kz-te blowing exhaust gas up thru coolant
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1