Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum

Anything Toyota Hiace related

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  

Share | 

OVERHEATING??

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
JohnHRef999
Been here a while
Been here a while

Number of posts : 148
Home City : Lincoln England
Model and year : 1993 Hiace Campervan 4WD 2779cc Diesel Auto Transmission
Registration date : 2007-07-17

PostSubject: OVERHEATING??   Fri Aug 24, 2007 4:04 pm

If your diesel engine is overheating, with hot coolant being forced into the expansion/filler tank, your cylinder head gasket may have blown.

Having thrashed my 2.8ltr 3L Camper up hill and down dale in North Yorks, the temp was nearly in the Red, I had to have constant fill-ups with coolant and there was a bubbling into the expansion tank after the engine was switched off.

Optimistically, I changed the thermostat (Low Cost Option) No Luck -changed the radiator which was well furred up on inspection after removal, again No Luck.
Changed the Head Gasket PERFECT!! The solution was unfortunately the most inconvenient, however after 6 hours of toil in the Lincolnshire sun the Camping Monster is back on the road at the right temperature. There was a witness on the gasket where gas was making its way into one of the outer water courses. This was over pressurising the cooling system and blowing out fluid.

The Head Gasket I bought (Toyota) needed a modification as some of the waterways were occluded by the new gasket. I guess it is used for several versions of the L engine range, I had to drill 4 holes- 3/8" in the gasket as 4 of the waterways would have been blocked off by the gasket.

Contact me if you need first hand experience of replacing the head etc.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Admin
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 1116
Home City : Bristol
Registration date : 2007-01-15

PostSubject: Re: OVERHEATING??   Fri Aug 24, 2007 5:21 pm

Glad it all worked out for you Smile. Get back out in the sun with some beers drunken
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://hiace-super-custom.free-boards.net

OVERHEATING??
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum  :: Hiace Mechanical Matters :: GREASE MONKEY !!! (sorry couldnt resist its a BF2142 thing)-
Jump to: