Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum

Anything Toyota Hiace related

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  

Share | 

OVERHEATING - HEAD GASKET???

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
comedywizard

Number of posts : 5
Home City : Cardiff
Model and year : Super Custom Limited, 1994, Digital Dash, 3.0L Turbo Diesel. (HotRod Body Kit, 17" Rota Slipstream Alloys, Full Stainless Steel Exhaust System).
Registration date : 2010-04-19

PostSubject: OVERHEATING - HEAD GASKET???   Wed Jan 19, 2011 8:32 am

Hi, I've got a problem, hope you guys could give me some advice? confused

Sorry for the long post but thought I'd try to give as much background as possible.

I have a Super Custom Limited, 3.0 been running fine for months, however has always lost water from coolant system over time, top up every week. Heater works but occasionally goes cold and wont come back hot for a while. Rear heater has been bypassed due to leak in matrix. Have used K-seal in the past but still keeps losing water.

Been doing regular trips to somerset, came back few days ago, temp gauge went to max, occasionally would drop but then return to hot, occasional engine light which I've never seem before! Prob should hav stopped but drove the last 6 miles back home so at leasts she's at home and not stranded.

Steam was coming from under the engine, coolant boiling away from the expansion bottle, I released the rad cap to relieve the pressure and there was also steam coming from the oil filler!!! Mad

Stange thing was she drove fine, didnt appear to have any loss of power or hesitation!

Refilled the coolant with water yesterday, ran the engine and almost straight away there was froth coming out of the filler neck! Couldnt see any obvious leaks underneath and rad appears to be in good condition. The heater was working on hot but the rad didnt feel hot and water didnt circulate like normal when the thermostat should have opened. Rev the enigne and froth would come out of the filler like a tube of toothpaste!

I'm dreading the worst case of head gasket failure but would like to know your comments and if theres any guidance on doing a head on these?

Thanks for reading this and appreciate any help.

Kind Regards Dave

Back to top Go down
View user profile
KIWI DAVE
Not so new now
Not so new now

Number of posts : 66
Home City : EASTBOURNE
Model and year : SUPER CUSTOM 3.0LT TDI 4WD

Registration date : 2010-01-03

PostSubject: Re: OVERHEATING - HEAD GASKET???   Wed Jan 19, 2011 8:29 pm

Hi Dave,

sorry to hear your troubles, sounds very much like a head gasket to me, is the froth coming out milky/cloudy ie: a water/oil mix, if so it looks like it might be a cracked head or more hopefully price wise a gasket. The problem with the Super Custom is the analogue temperature guage is almost useless and does not give true indication of what is really happening with the engine. It simply goes up to temp and sits in the same position all day long and the first thing you know that anything is wrong is when it finally goes of the scale and by then its too late and you're cooked.

My van has the same 3.0 lt turbo diesel and supposedly a better bet with the overheating than the 2.4lt. Their are after market digital guages and even temperature alarms, so I think I'll fit one as a precaution!

Sorry I can't offer any advise as it is all a bit late after the event, maybe some of the more technical guys on the forum will be able to offer better advise.

GOOD LUCK Smile

Dave
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Clive
Hiace Master
Hiace Master

Number of posts : 1094
Home City : Bristol UK
Model and year : 2003 Range Rover 4.4 goes like a rocket and drinks like Oliver Reed!
Registration date : 2008-11-05

PostSubject: Re: OVERHEATING - HEAD GASKET???   Wed Jan 19, 2011 9:58 pm

Hi Dave, I think it is likely to be a cracked head.

The headcentre in Parr Cornwall can sort out a head for you and give good advice if you call them.

Don't be tempted by a cheap Chinese head, most are a short term fix to a long term waste of money.

Sorry but once repaired that will be it for another 200,000 miles.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
KIWI DAVE
Not so new now
Not so new now

Number of posts : 66
Home City : EASTBOURNE
Model and year : SUPER CUSTOM 3.0LT TDI 4WD

Registration date : 2010-01-03

PostSubject: Re: OVERHEATING - HEAD GASKET???   Fri Jan 21, 2011 8:31 pm

Hi Dave,

hope things are looking up for you on the head gasket front Very Happy If you don't mind me asking, I noticed on your details that you have a stainless steel exhaust system, where did you get it done and roughly how much?

Mine has just gone and I thought I might use the same people if you think they are O.K??

Regards,

Dave

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Clive
Hiace Master
Hiace Master

Number of posts : 1094
Home City : Bristol UK
Model and year : 2003 Range Rover 4.4 goes like a rocket and drinks like Oliver Reed!
Registration date : 2008-11-05

PostSubject: Re: OVERHEATING - HEAD GASKET???   Sat Jan 22, 2011 2:01 pm

Any stainless place with fabricate one to fit, I used Powerflow for my Townace, still in use now, fit and forget!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
comedywizard

Number of posts : 5
Home City : Cardiff
Model and year : Super Custom Limited, 1994, Digital Dash, 3.0L Turbo Diesel. (HotRod Body Kit, 17" Rota Slipstream Alloys, Full Stainless Steel Exhaust System).
Registration date : 2010-04-19

PostSubject: Re: OVERHEATING - HEAD GASKET???   Thu Jan 27, 2011 8:01 am

Thanks for the advice guys, I will try to get some technical advice how to dismantle and remove the head and then I can inspect it to see whats happened. I've already ordered a headgasket set with new bolts, lets hope its just that and not the head!

The stainless exhaust system was fitted by local exhaust place in Cardiff, Pro-Speed Exhaust, he's a really good guy, did the whole system from flexi pipe back with any choice of tail pipe, £272 all in.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
linfy

Number of posts : 12
Home City : Sydney
Model and year : 1995 SC limited
3L Diesel
Registration date : 2012-12-14

PostSubject: Re: OVERHEATING - HEAD GASKET???   Fri Dec 21, 2012 4:26 am

Hi kiwi dave' i would like to get a temp alarm for my sc did u get one? i often do long drives [syd to melbourne - syd to brissy etc] and have often wondered why the temp dose'nt seem to move. cheers
Back to top Go down
View user profile
dawngrugel

Number of posts : 2
Home City : liverpool
Registration date : 2011-06-28

PostSubject: Re: OVERHEATING - HEAD GASKET???   Sat Feb 16, 2013 5:42 pm

My head gasket went on my 2.4 super custom. I was heartbroken, sell or get it fixed??? I am not good at dabbling with cars, but I love the hiace. So, I actually took it to Toyota to get it done, all the right parts etc etc.

Was going to be £1.5k to have it fixed, turned out more, mostly due to the fact that Toyota charge too much, but he did end up not charging me all on labour!!! They did the tbelt too as when the engine is out. Didn't realise that the Hiace had 2 radiators, I needed 2 new ones. I had previously had a leak and asked a local mechanic to fix it for me. He poured some stuff in. Toyota told me that had been the biggest problem as the stuff he put in ruined the rads!!!!! Hence using Toyota to fix my van.

Cut a long story short, ended up costing me £2,600 Shocked the body work and the inside is so good. Eveyone loves it. So....................... should be good for a few miles yet
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: OVERHEATING - HEAD GASKET???   

Back to top Go down

OVERHEATING - HEAD GASKET???
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1