Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum

Anything Toyota Hiace related

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  

Share | 

Vegetable oil

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
mjphiace
Not so new now
Not so new now

Number of posts : 43
Home City : Bristol UK
Model and year : 4WD LWB 2.8 Auto High Top Camper 1994
LH129V-ERPDS
Registration date : 2010-04-07

PostSubject: Vegetable oil   Tue Jan 25, 2011 10:24 pm

do/would you use vegetable oil in your 2.8 normally aspirated?

I have some used vegetable oi (only a few litres but every little helps). I am thinking if I filter it and use it about 50 to 1 or so in a tank full it will be fine. But what do I filter it with and where do I get the filter material from? How big is a Hiace fuel tank anyway? I get about 26mpg and when the warning light just comes on I get about 55 litres in the tank.

I have a friend who says he puts all sorts of rubbish in his citreon camper - mind you maybe thats why it didn't start in the cold weather! Not like my Hiace. Not used for a couple of weeks, a few seconds of heating and started first turn. cheers
Back to top Go down
View user profile
chrisandhiace
Hiace Master
Hiace Master

Number of posts : 502
Home City : Preston
Model and year : LH 107 4wd 1992
Registration date : 2008-11-18

PostSubject: Re: Vegetable oil   Tue Jan 25, 2011 11:05 pm

I used to do the same (ish) ....bit of asda veggie with a very small quantity of white spirit...feels smoother...quieter, quicker...much better. But I could'nt get the image of old cruddy chip pans out of my mind.
If it really was better it would be sold as an additive in auto shops....unable to work out if it was smart or not (looking on the internet) I gave it up...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ruffnut
Hiace Master
Hiace Master

Number of posts : 990
Home City : Highett Australia
Model and year : kzh100 1996
Registration date : 2008-02-28

PostSubject: Re: Vegetable oil   Wed Jan 26, 2011 12:45 am

the tank size is 70 ltr I don't know anything about veggie oil though
Back to top Go down
View user profile
dandywarhol
Been here a while
Been here a while

Number of posts : 163
Home City : Edinburgh, Scotland
Model and year : 1995 LH129V 2.8 Superlong semi hi top campervan 4WD with Mitsubishi turbo
Registration date : 2010-01-26

PostSubject: Re: Vegetable oil   Wed Jan 26, 2011 10:56 pm

Bumf here...................

http://www.igmaynard.co.uk/bongo/forum/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=46433&p=472947&hilit=used+veg+oil#p472947
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Qulan

Number of posts : 2
Home City : Whitehorse
Registration date : 2014-03-04

PostSubject: Re: Vegetable oil   Tue Mar 04, 2014 12:21 am

Just found this forum. As to question about vegetable oil - small amount of veg oil can be added to the diesel tank or better yet - install a heated parallel veg oil fuel system. I did and have clocked 10s of thousands of kms using it as a free fuel for my 1990 Hiace.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Clive
Hiace Master
Hiace Master

Number of posts : 1094
Model and year : 2003 Range Rover 4.4 goes like a rocket and drinks like Oliver Reed!
Registration date : 2008-11-05

PostSubject: Re: Vegetable oil   Tue Mar 04, 2014 6:42 pm

I just used to let it settle for a few weeks and then syphon of the top 1/2 2/3's. 20 litre tubs semi see through with a bright light behind. All the left overs poured together minus any sludge/water and allowed to settle again.

Lots of filters out there but my way cost nothing.

Out of 200 litres from my local chippie I would get 150 or so that went straight in the tank.

Be very AWARE of using used oil with any transesterfied bio diesel can lead to big problems.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Qulan

Number of posts : 2
Home City : Whitehorse
Registration date : 2014-03-04

PostSubject: Re: Vegetable oil   Tue Mar 04, 2014 8:09 pm

Clive, I was told suspended water and a significant amount of particulates that don't settle out could be a problem. The particulates would lead to more frequent fuel filter changes and suspended water will lead to injector pump damage. After settling, I heat the veg oil then put it through a centrifuge to remove suspended particulates and water. It fuels both my Hiace and 6 kw generator (I live off the grid).

Veg oil in my diesel tank clogs my diesel fuel filter on cold days (-35 C around here).
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Clive
Hiace Master
Hiace Master

Number of posts : 1094
Model and year : 2003 Range Rover 4.4 goes like a rocket and drinks like Oliver Reed!
Registration date : 2008-11-05

PostSubject: Re: Vegetable oil   Wed Mar 05, 2014 7:52 pm

I never had a problem, I'd add a liter of petrol, .I did leave it for 6 to 8 weeks though. Would still be doing it if I could lift 20 litres without pain.
When the oil went cloudy around -5 C it was time to add Diesel to avoid bad starting.
I did install a cheap disposable inline filter before the main one just in case, I got ten still got 5 or 6 after 6 years not a great problem as I say.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Vegetable oil   

Back to top Go down

Vegetable oil
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1