Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum

Anything Toyota Hiace related

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  

Share | 

shifter is locked (clutch or tranny?)

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
ouiallo

Number of posts : 9
Home City : yandina qld
Model and year : toyota hiace 1999 2.0 manual (with a sticky shifter)
Registration date : 2011-01-30

PostSubject: shifter is locked (clutch or tranny?)    Tue Feb 01, 2011 4:47 am

hi im driving a 1999 manual...it's been stored for 2 years and when I got it back on the road the shifter would sometimes get stuck between neutral to the 1st, and the 1st to the 2nd gear. also does it on the reverse....

the shifter get's jammed and wont allow us to change gears at all,, I have to stop the motor and then it's easy (but dangerous on the hwy)...

it does it warmmed up and cold... there is no leaks on the line(hydrolic clutch) nor on the tranny or the breaks...

I just had a hydro slave replaced as a recommendation from the mechanics but all it changed was 90$less in my wallet,+ a new head gasket that is still leaking(170$ and I cant find how the mechanics got it out, the bolts are still dirty, no scratch)...I also grinded the clutch plate( putting into gear on park brake quickly) as I thought some rust might be in there...

But the problem is still there after all that...thx dumdum mech
and worst, it seems to be heating quickly now and the temp gauge doesn't move...

Im gonna go bleed the clutch once more(I didn't fully do it after the slave got changed)...and I hope I don't have to open the tranny caus honestly I don't realy know what that could be...selenoid maybe??? speed sensors???

does anyone knows what that could be?
Im sick of mechanics who creates more problems to my van... It's only getting worst every time I visit them!!!
It worked fine when I got it out of storage...

Is it time for me to set it on fire??? bom Raining
Back to top Go down
View user profile
WERX
Hiace Master
Hiace Master

Number of posts : 475
Home City : Sydney
Model and year : Toyota Hiace Super Custom 2000
Registration date : 2009-05-28

PostSubject: Re: shifter is locked (clutch or tranny?)    Tue Feb 01, 2011 6:22 am

Get someone else to set it on fire then claim the insurance. I never said that!
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.werx.net.au
Clive
Hiace Master
Hiace Master

Number of posts : 1094
Home City : Bristol UK
Model and year : 2003 Range Rover 4.4 goes like a rocket and drinks like Oliver Reed!
Registration date : 2008-11-05

PostSubject: Re: shifter is locked (clutch or tranny?)    Tue Feb 01, 2011 10:25 am

If it has stood for 2 years most likely the friction plate had stuck to the pressure plate. Only way to know is get the gearbox off and have a look.

Can't have replace a head gaseit without removing and therefore cleaning around the bolt heads.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ouiallo

PostSubject: Re: shifter is locked (clutch or tranny?)    Tue Feb 01, 2011 11:01 am

am I good or what?

ok I knew all that allready, no need to repeat what I said...

sorry but I am looking for suggestion... any idea on what I havn't tried or noticed yet?

thx wrex, you seem full of good advice, maybe you could suggest me the best way to do this (blow torch, hot lava, photon torpedoes) Twisted Evil

I am considering changing the motor for a steam engine, seems easyer, any better idea

Ps: how come toyota sells so many manuals for this model? there is one for the van itself, one for the clutch, one for the tranny, one for repairs + an owner manual... they are all too expencive to buy them all at once... any idea on a simillar model on witch I could base myself an idea from? confused
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Clive
Hiace Master
Hiace Master

Number of posts : 1094
Home City : Bristol UK
Model and year : 2003 Range Rover 4.4 goes like a rocket and drinks like Oliver Reed!
Registration date : 2008-11-05

PostSubject: Re: shifter is locked (clutch or tranny?)    Tue Feb 01, 2011 12:24 pm

It is because the engines, gearbox ect are used in many different vehicles. Easier for them to have a gearbox manual that reprint it umpteen times in all the vehicles it is fitted/could be fitted to.

If you can select gears without the engine running that would indicate that the gearbox is good.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ouiallo

PostSubject: Re: shifter is locked (clutch or tranny?)    Tue Feb 01, 2011 12:34 pm

thx clive then any other ideas to identify the problem, if it's not the tranny? must be the clutch? do I have to get the master removed also?
the pedal works fine, nothing seems to be blocking that end.

Last edited by ouiallo on Tue Feb 01, 2011 12:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ouiallo

PostSubject: Re: shifter is locked (clutch or tranny?)    Tue Feb 01, 2011 12:39 pm

"logic" for the toyota manuals. thought it could have been more consumer friendly,,, I cannot think the corporate way but i guess it makes $ence for them.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: shifter is locked (clutch or tranny?)    

Back to top Go down

shifter is locked (clutch or tranny?)
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1