Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum

Anything Toyota Hiace related

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  

Share | 

Toyota water temp gauges are cracking heads

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
ricardo
Not so new now
Not so new now

Number of posts : 48
Home City : Napier, NewZealand
Model and year : 1996 3L Super Custom, Club Field. Lowered, tinted, trans cooler.
Registration date : 2011-03-31

PostSubject: Toyota water temp gauges are cracking heads   Thu Mar 31, 2011 7:04 pm

Turns out that the std Toyota water temp gauges are 'dampened' to avoid people thinking there are cooling issues with vehicles when under loads like hills etc. The factory gauge only moves when at about 110 deg c and cracked heads are the next stop (as what happened to me) Here is a way to correct the gauges reading for accurate temp information. Go to...

http://toyotasurf.asn.au/forum/viewtopic.php?t=14717

Very interesting!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
AussieQ
Hiace Master
Hiace Master

Number of posts : 884
Home City : Hervey Bay Qld
Model and year : 1994 sc
Registration date : 2008-08-15

PostSubject: Re: Toyota water temp gauges are cracking heads   Thu Mar 31, 2011 8:16 pm

Good one mate
Back to top Go down
View user profile
srburnsy
Hiace Master
Hiace Master

Number of posts : 450
Home City : AUS
Model and year : 4wd sc
Registration date : 2008-06-04

PostSubject: Re: Toyota water temp gauges are cracking heads   Fri Apr 01, 2011 12:02 am

Hmmm yeah i suspected this too thats why i installed a engine watchdog thermocouple to warn me if temp's get's too high. My standard gauge doesn't move from half way till it get up over 95 degrees so yeah there's not much warning if there's a problem. I think all vehicles should have some sort of alarm to warn when engine temp's get too high.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Clive
Hiace Master
Hiace Master

Number of posts : 1094
Home City : Bristol UK
Model and year : 2003 Range Rover 4.4 goes like a rocket and drinks like Oliver Reed!
Registration date : 2008-11-05

PostSubject: Re: Toyota water temp gauges are cracking heads   Fri Apr 01, 2011 8:04 am

Have a look at www.townace.com - Dave Mason has designed and built an adaption that not only makes the guage work it also incorpoates an audial alarm - don't know if it can be adapted for the Hiace.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
cornishpasty

Number of posts : 7
Home City : truro
Model and year : 1994 hiace custom 4wd

Registration date : 2012-02-04

PostSubject: Re: Toyota water temp gauges are cracking heads   Sun May 13, 2012 7:29 pm

Hi people been looking at getting an engine temperature alarm for a while now for my hiace 2.8 diesel, mainly after my dear old mum cracked the head on hers (she actually managed to melt the tops of the pistons and weld the injectors into the head but hey she is 75) anyway just finished installing one of these today and in comparison to the price I've seen elswhere its great value for money and appears very good quality and easy to use, postage was fair from Canada to UK and pretty quick. it only needs two wires +/- and fit the probe, now i just keep watching the display and changing the settings to make the alarm go off,sure the novelty will wear off. anyone know what the normal operating temperature is ?

Sell one like this DIGITAL TEMPERATURE CONTROLLER GAUGE ALARM ENGINE WATCHDOG CAR OVERHEATING PROBE
Item condition: New

Time left: 15d 18h (29 May, 201213:14:31 BST)

Quantity:
More than 10 available / 1 soldPlease enter a quantity of $quantity$ or less
Please enter a quantity of 1
Purchases are limited to 0 per buyer
Please enter a quantity of $quantity$ or less
Please enter a lower number
Please enter quantity of 1 or more

US $43.99Approximately 27.33 Buy it nowBuy it nowBuy it now

Add to Watch listStart of panelAdd to Watch listAdd to Wish listSign in for more listsEnd of panel
Add to a new list
Please enter a valid name

(Separate multiple list names with a comma)
Cancel
Start of LayerEnd of Layer

Special offer available on this and additional items.

Postage: US $15.99(approx. 9.93) - Standard Int'l Shipping See more services See postal discounts

Start of LayerEnd of Layer | See all delivery detailsInternational items may be subject to customs processing and additional charges.
Item location: Ontario, Canada
Post to: Worldwide See delivery location exclusions

Delivery: Varies for items sent from an international location
Seller posts within 1 day after receiving cleared payment - opens in a new window or tab.
Please allow additional time if international delivery is subject to customs processing.

Payments: | See payment information

Returns: Returns accepted | Read returns policy details

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Toyota water temp gauges are cracking heads   

Back to top Go down

Toyota water temp gauges are cracking heads
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1