Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum

Anything Toyota Hiace related

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  

Share | 

Wheels n Offsets etc...

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Insight
Not so new now
Not so new now

Number of posts : 32
Home City : Warkworth, New Zealand
Model and year : 1990, 2RZ-E 2.4petrol.
Registration date : 2011-05-01

PostSubject: Wheels n Offsets etc...   Mon Jun 20, 2011 6:51 am

Just checked my wheel offsets and they're the standard 18 - 20p - ish with the 5 stud configuration. Just wondering what the highest offset I would be able to get away with would be? Unless I wanna spend over a grand theres nuthin online for sale with these offsets.

BTW: No-one seems entirely sure but it sounds like spacers are illegal in NZ so that option goes out the window
Back to top Go down
View user profile
dandywarhol
Been here a while
Been here a while

Number of posts : 163
Home City : Edinburgh, Scotland
Model and year : 1995 LH129V 2.8 Superlong semi hi top campervan 4WD with Mitsubishi turbo
Registration date : 2010-01-26

PostSubject: Re: Wheels n Offsets etc...   Mon Jun 20, 2011 10:47 pm

Offsets are there to enable the steering geometry to have a negative offset which means in the event of a puncture of brake failure the vehicle doesn't get dragged to one side and over the cliff.

Basically, if you take an imaginary line through the top and bottom balljoints and project then down to the road (looking at the vehicle head on) then the imaginary line would hit the ground outside the centre line of the wheel/tyre.

As non ABS vehicles tend to have a diagonally split dual braking systen i.e. nearside front links to the offside rear, then the critical offset figure means that if the other brake circuit fails, the vehicle pulls up straight.

Fitting a "deeper" offset brings the imaginary line towards the centre line or beyond of the tyre and the steering pulls (you over the cliff) It also means you'll invalidate your insurance, if you survive the cliff episode......... Laughing

In othe words, don't mess with offsets unless you know what you're doing.................

More bumf here.............. http://www.motor.org.uk/documentlibrary/Sep%2009/TT%20_%20Sept%2009.pdf

Back to top Go down
View user profile

Wheels n Offsets etc...
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum  :: General-
Jump to: