Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum

Anything Toyota Hiace related

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  

Share | 

DVLA - Reclassifying from MPV to Motor Home

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Caijin

Number of posts : 11
Home City : Birmingham
Registration date : 2011-08-19

PostSubject: DVLA - Reclassifying from MPV to Motor Home   Fri Aug 19, 2011 12:02 pm

Hi, I am about to buy a Hiace super custom camper in the UK. I have got my insurance ready to be setup when I pick the van up tomorrow (pending the results of the mot it is having today).

But now my insurance contact tells me that it is currently registered with the DVLA as an MPV and I will need to get it reclassified as a motor home within 90 days of the policy commencement.

It was imported from Japan in 2006, and was converted to a camper from new.

I have done some research and it seems as of March this year they have changed the rules, making it more difficult to class a vehicle as a "motor home" and they require it to externally "look like a motor home". I have found various information on what they require the interior to have/look like and I am confident on that score, but they are not really giving any details on what they mean when they say the exterior needs to look like a motor home.

Well to me, the hiace does look like a motor home, but I'm not the one who will yay or nay the reclassification.

Obviously I dont want to buy it and then find I cannot reclassify it as a motor home, so I will try to get it reclassified. But in the worst case situation, am i right in thinking I can get it insured as an MPV elsewhere and still be able to use it as a camper? (I expect that would be more costly on the insurance but at least it doesnt mean I have a camper van sitting on the drive forever because I can't use it to camp in!)

Does anyone know anything about this or can give me any useful advice?

Thanks for reading.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Clive
Hiace Master
Hiace Master

Number of posts : 1094
Home City : Bristol UK
Model and year : 2003 Range Rover 4.4 goes like a rocket and drinks like Oliver Reed!
Registration date : 2008-11-05

PostSubject: Re: DVLA - Reclassifying from MPV to Motor Home   Fri Aug 19, 2011 2:23 pm

Er no, just read about a Townace that falls foul of the London thingy zone as it was not classed as an estate when imported in 1998.
I would talk to or indeed visit a DVLA office to get it cleared up. Easy fro me to say as I live within walking distance of one but they are very helpful!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
chrisandhiace
Hiace Master
Hiace Master

Number of posts : 502
Home City : Preston
Model and year : LH 107 4wd 1992
Registration date : 2008-11-18

PostSubject: Re: DVLA - Reclassifying from MPV to Motor Home   Sat Aug 20, 2011 1:44 am

It does'nt need to look like a motor home...but does need to have some key items....ie: wardrobe, bed etc.
Can't remember anymore, but register below as these people convert vans to motor home status all the time and are savvy as to the rules

http://sbmcc.co.uk/forum/index.php?s=dea7962ca6fd8eddfc11727fd3d6990d&

Also an insurer such as Adrian Flux ....or as Clive says DVLA ....will tell you exactly what the van must contain to be reclassified
Back to top Go down
View user profile
chrisandhiace
Hiace Master
Hiace Master

Number of posts : 502
Home City : Preston
Model and year : LH 107 4wd 1992
Registration date : 2008-11-18

PostSubject: Re: DVLA - Reclassifying from MPV to Motor Home   Sat Aug 20, 2011 1:57 am

Plenty on the net...some stuff here...(scroll down)
http://www.campervanlife.com/building/legal
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Caijin

Number of posts : 11
Home City : Birmingham
Registration date : 2011-08-19

PostSubject: Re: DVLA - Reclassifying from MPV to Motor Home   Mon Aug 22, 2011 12:06 pm

Thanks very much for the info guys. I'll have a read and possibly visit the nearest DVLA office.
Cheers.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
dieselnutjob

Number of posts : 14
Home City : London, UK
Registration date : 2011-04-02

PostSubject: Re: DVLA - Reclassifying from MPV to Motor Home   Mon Dec 05, 2011 12:53 pm

If you ever want to drive into Greater London, or sell it to someone that does, it is better listed an as MPV as an MPV with less than 10 seats is exempt from London Low Emissions Zone.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: DVLA - Reclassifying from MPV to Motor Home   

Back to top Go down

DVLA - Reclassifying from MPV to Motor Home
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1