Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum

Anything Toyota Hiace related

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  

Share | 

Water loss from coolant header tank.

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Smithy

Number of posts : 5
Home City : Queenstown NZ
Model and year : 1997 2.4 petrol 2RZ
Registration date : 2011-08-28

PostSubject: Water loss from coolant header tank.   Sun Aug 28, 2011 6:46 am

Hi Guys,

Im new to the site and was wondering if anyone can help?

Has anyone experienced the following problem, or can point me in the right direction to a hopeful solution!
I recently bought a 1997 hi-ace 2.4 petrol (ZL model) that has 200,000 k's on the clock.

I have a problem that after driving up steep hills putting the van under load it hesitates slightly as if there is a fuel starvation,but the fuel pump has recently been replaced. After getting up the hill and parking up, the van seems to pump out a fair bit of coolant from the header tank overflow pipe, which is baffling me as the temperature gauge is not going over the normal half way.

This has happened 4 or 5 times now and i cant find any other leaks in the cooling system at all. This only seems to happen if i have a lot of weight in the van and climb steep hills (which is quite often as i live in a ski area!)
It does not leak at all under normal driving to and from work.

The heater blower is still blowing hot air and the van is not smoking when you start it up from cold so im thinking the head gasket is ok?

Any suggestions would be much appreciated so i can use the camper to it's full potential!

Thanks,

Smithy.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Clive
Hiace Master
Hiace Master

Number of posts : 1094
Home City : Bristol UK
Model and year : 2003 Range Rover 4.4 goes like a rocket and drinks like Oliver Reed!
Registration date : 2008-11-05

PostSubject: Re: Water loss from coolant header tank.   Tue Aug 30, 2011 7:54 am

I'd start with a flush of the cooling system and making sure the correct amount of antifreeze is in there. Check the pressure cap and the pipe within the expansion tank. Get the engine hot and carefully check if the rad is hot all over - I've seen a photo of a rad that was furred up completely with just a diagonal path to allow water flow, this allowed top and bottom hose to become red hot but not the other two corners, fooled the owner into thinking the rad was ok.

What altitute are you at as lack of power and temp rise could be lack of air ? When you park up is the engine still running?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
JohnHRef999
Been here a while
Been here a while

Number of posts : 148
Home City : Lincoln England
Model and year : 1993 Hiace Campervan 4WD 2779cc Diesel Auto Transmission
Registration date : 2007-07-17

PostSubject: Re: Water loss from coolant header tank.   Mon Sep 05, 2011 8:38 am

I hope I am wrong but this sounds like the Head Gasket is going plus the possibility and onset of Cylinder Head distortion. Been there and its time consuming to resolve!

When you put extra load on the engine, gas blows past the head and pressurises the coolant system and so it blows the header tank contents out once the cooling action of the water pump stops, the temp rises and boils.
The hesitation on engine running may be water in the cylinders preventing combustion.Does the Temp Guage rise when the engine is switched off?

Try the cheapest options first i.e. thermostat & cap change, rad flush plus checking the water pump belt tension.

You can get the engine pressure tested by a diesel engineer to see if it is the head gasket.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad tidings.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Clive
Hiace Master
Hiace Master

Model and year : 2003 Range Rover 4.4 goes like a rocket and drinks like Oliver Reed!

PostSubject: Re: Water loss from coolant header tank.   Mon Sep 05, 2011 9:27 am

It's a petrol engine, but yes may be worth getting it sniffed (chemical test for hydrocarbons in the coolant).
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Smithy

PostSubject: Re: Water loss from coolant header tank.   Wed Sep 14, 2011 6:59 am

Hi guys,

Thanks for the replies.
Whenever the coolant has been thrown out i have made sure to be topping it up with equal measures of anti-freeze and water. I have taken your advice and bought a new rad cap for it as well which turns up tomorrow, and also cut a v in the pipe within the overflow tank to stop it leeching onto the side as i read this in another post. I'll check out the rad to see if it's getting hot all over as well.

I'm not that high altitude wise really, house is at 350m and i prob drive up to 800m max, but the hills are pretty damn steep! I normally leave the van idling for a minute or so to cool down, and then turn it off. It's normally after i shut the engine down that the coolant leaks, but always after it's warm and has driven up a hill. kept a close eye on the temp gauge and this doesn't go above half, even with the engine off.

I'm hoping it's not the head gasket, that'll be a nightmare! Is it possible that the valves in the expansion tank are not letting the water back into the rad but letting it flow in? Or air is getting sucked in somewhere forcing
the water out?

What sort of rad flush would you guys recommend?

I'll have to go to the local garage and see about checking the hydrocarbons in the coolant, will most places have this equipment?

Thanks again Clive and JohnHRef999,

I'll keep you posted.

Smithy
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Clive
Hiace Master
Hiace Master

PostSubject: Re: Water loss from coolant header tank.   Wed Sep 14, 2011 7:52 am

Coolant chemical check in most UK garages.

Try letting it tick over for longer and perhaps turn the heater on full?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Smithy

PostSubject: Re: Water loss from coolant header tank.   Fri Sep 16, 2011 5:51 am

Hi Clive,

I've replaced the rad cap but still have the coolant coming out of the expansion pipe from time to time. I felt the radiator after a 10min drive home from work (and of course including the big hill!!) just the top of the rad was hot and the middle only slightly warm to touch. Is that long enough to warm up the cooling system and allow it flow through the full system? The temp gauge was reading half way and the top hose very hot, but the bottom not half as hot.

It's looking like a rad flush is definitely in need as you mentioned, this entails draining the cooling system and refilling it with a new mixture again i'm assuming?

I'm just a little concerned as i have a long trip (280kms each way) in it this weekend and it's my only form of transport. What precautions can i take apart from shed loads of water and blasting the heater on hot?!!

Cheers for your help

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Clive
Hiace Master
Hiace Master

PostSubject: Re: Water loss from coolant header tank.   Mon Sep 19, 2011 8:25 am

Been away for the weekend so missed your post.

I've tried dishwasher tablets in a system and it worked well. Crumble them in and leave in for a week of use then flush out with a garden hose, removing the thermostat if possible, until it runs clear.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Smithy

PostSubject: Re: Water loss from coolant header tank.   Wed Oct 12, 2011 6:44 am

Hey Clive,

It's been a while but i have successfully manage to flush out the cooling system. I used a product they have down here in NZ..... and fingers crossed it's worked!!

Been driving it around, and up the steep bloody hills which up to now have been the problem and the van has not lost a drop of water!

Figure it must have been getting hot, and building up excessive pressure?

I still have a few more "minor" issues i want to look at so i may be picking your brains again soon.

Cheers for your help.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Clive
Hiace Master
Hiace Master

PostSubject: Re: Water loss from coolant header tank.   Wed Oct 12, 2011 7:59 am

What is the stuff called?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Smithy

PostSubject: Re: Water loss from coolant header tank.   Tue Oct 18, 2011 6:25 am

The brand name is Prestone,it was called super flush. Fingers crossed it has worked so far, and have only done short journeys which seemed to be the worst.

Took a while to do the whole process. Tightened up the bottom rad hose as well as there was a slight leak from that.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Clive
Hiace Master
Hiace Master

PostSubject: Re: Water loss from coolant header tank.   Tue Oct 18, 2011 8:02 am

Thanks for that.
Prestone ready mixed coolant is available in UK ASDA stores, so guess Walmart the US owners also sell the rest of the range? I'll have a surf tonight and see if there any UK outlets.

I also use Water Whetter, a product made by Red Line Oils. It makes the water wetter thus increasing the surface area so it transfers heat better - explained in my best scientific terms. I used it in racing Mini engines 20 odd years ago, with just plain tap water. I think I can say never had an overheat due to coolant, now oil pump failure is another story!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Water loss from coolant header tank.   

Back to top Go down

Water loss from coolant header tank.
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1