Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum

Anything Toyota Hiace related

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  

Share | 

London Low Emission Zone............HELP

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
toyboy
Not so new now
Not so new now

Number of posts : 21
Home City : london
Model and year : Toyota Hiace Custom 4x4
Cruising Cabin 1994
Registration date : 2011-09-26

PostSubject: London Low Emission Zone............HELP   Mon Sep 26, 2011 7:36 pm

Has anyone out there had a Low Emission Zone filter fitted?

There appears to be lots of different types on the market and i am trying to establish what is the most suitable
one to have fitted to my Custom Hi Ace Cruising Cabin...most of these filters seem to be aimed at huge trucks and coaches...

Is there anyone out there having the same problem?

Please HELP!!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Clive
Hiace Master
Hiace Master

Number of posts : 1094
Home City : Bristol UK
Model and year : 2003 Range Rover 4.4 goes like a rocket and drinks like Oliver Reed!
Registration date : 2008-11-05

PostSubject: Re: London Low Emission Zone............HELP   Tue Sep 27, 2011 2:02 pm

Do you need one is the Hiace in the groups that are to be restricted?

I know several Estima owners have challenged there classification and after contacting the DVLA have obtained exemption.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
toyboy
Not so new now
Not so new now

Cruising Cabin 1994

PostSubject: Re: London Low Emission Zone............HELP   Tue Sep 27, 2011 5:17 pm

Hello

Yes the one i have is Toyotas own factory fitted Campervan.

Good luck to those Estima owners though.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Clive
Hiace Master
Hiace Master

Model and year : 2003 Range Rover 4.4 goes like a rocket and drinks like Oliver Reed!

PostSubject: Re: London Low Emission Zone............HELP   Wed Sep 28, 2011 8:00 am

Doh should have noticed campervan!

may still be worth a challange as it is not an earth moving truck based camper?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
toyboy
Not so new now
Not so new now

Cruising Cabin 1994

PostSubject: Re: London Low Emission Zone............HELP   Wed Sep 28, 2011 4:58 pm

Thanks anyway if you hear anymore please let me know...

Back to top Go down
View user profile
milkman
Been here a while
Been here a while

Number of posts : 100
Model and year : LH113V 1992 Composer
Registration date : 2010-06-15

PostSubject: Re: London Low Emission Zone............HELP   Thu Sep 29, 2011 9:43 pm

Hi All,
I was hoping to post asking what everyone's going for but instead I'll share what I've found out so far. Our '92 is classed as light goods because that's what it is underneath I guess. Galling to have to pay this when we park in London then leave to use the camper elsewhere but what can you do?
Okay so I've contacted all the filter dealers who are mentioned in the
LEZ Pdf. Most of them use approved fitters and will give you numbers to ring depending on where you are.

The main choices are between dry or wet filters. Dry filters just sit there and are suitable for long cycle driving where the stuff collected in the filter in the urban cycle burns off.
Bear in mind this whole shebang is designed with big diesel vehicles driving stop-start round London all day, not us lot hopefully hitting the open roads for hi-jinks and larks-a-plenty.

Wet filters are recommended for urban cycle driving and use a tank to dose the filter with, I think, a catalyst. They need maintenance as the dose tank needs to be refilled every so often. At the moment its approx 250 to refill. The filters also need to be cleaned every so often but I've been told if i'm driving long distances I should be looking at every 2 years or so.

Price-wise I'm getting quotes between 1900 - 2500 for dry filters and 30004000 for wet.
These prices are for the filter, fitting testing and dealing with the certification and record keeping.
It only needs to be certified once.
As far as I can tell the wet filters are better and we're still not sure what we'll go for yet.

I would say this is pressing/urgent. The people I've spoken to are looking at mid-december for fitting. If you leave it too long you'll have to get your van out of london, change the keepers address with the DVLA then have it fitted up elsewhere. I think the charge works based on number recognition and the registered address.

So, thats my twopennyworth, I hope its of use but anyone else with extra ideas please pitch in!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
simongd
Been here a while
Been here a while

Number of posts : 176
Home City : Knowsley, Liverpool
Model and year : LH100G 1992 2.4 EFi turbo
Registration date : 2010-01-28

PostSubject: Re: London Low Emission Zone............HELP   Fri Sep 30, 2011 8:53 pm

Sounds like a money spinner for the government to me.

A way round this extorsion maybe to store your camper outside London, say somewhere where they store caravans for example and when you want to go camping drive there in your day to day car and leave it there while on holiday. No need to inform DVLA that the car is kept at a different address as you remain the registed keeper, but you would of course have to inform your insurance provider and you don't have to bother with the filter any longer.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
milkman
Been here a while
Been here a while

PostSubject: Re: London Low Emission Zone............HELP   Fri Sep 30, 2011 11:43 pm

We thought about that but the hassle of driving all your weekend stuff to the camper in order to go away is too much.
Also I work away in it and can't add that time overhead to a working week. (Monday 5 am start anyone?)
If any one's thinking about this I should reiterate that your registered keepers address may well be taken as evidence that the van is in the zone irrespective of whether the number plate has been picked up on CCTV.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
toyboy
Not so new now
Not so new now

Cruising Cabin 1994

PostSubject: Re: London Low Emission Zone............HELP   Tue Oct 04, 2011 7:36 pm

Hi and thanks for all the info provided here.

I am at the moment trawling through manufacturers trying to find a suitable and affordable filter.

I am considering having an e4-130 fitted these are made by a company called Cleaner Diesel Technologies..has any one already had one of these fitted and if you have can you give me some idea of the price i should be paying and in fact if they are any good............more help please...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
milkman
Been here a while
Been here a while

PostSubject: Re: London Low Emission Zone............HELP   Wed Oct 05, 2011 12:24 am

We may well be doing for this one. I have no idea if they're any good but they are cheaper than the Dinex one. Comes in at 2000 as opposed to 3000 for the Dinex. It does have a 2 year guarantee on it. Also shouldn't need too much maintenance if you are doing long drives which is essentially what I do.
I can;t find out much info for this. They are an approved manufacturer and the device has to pass a smoke test, beyond that its a crap shoot
These dry filters take you to euro 3 standard which will get you through the London LEZ. Dinox told me that would be suitable for europe generally although I can't tell if this is the case from the regs on this site: http://www.lowemissionzones.eu
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Clive
Hiace Master
Hiace Master

PostSubject: Re: London Low Emission Zone............HELP   Wed Oct 05, 2011 7:55 am

I'd contend the DVLA, it is not a light goods vehicle/builders van, it is a private vehicle.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
milkman
Been here a while
Been here a while

PostSubject: Re: London Low Emission Zone............HELP   Wed Oct 05, 2011 9:15 am

Its not ranked according trade/private its to do with weight and engine type
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Clive
Hiace Master
Hiace Master

PostSubject: Re: London Low Emission Zone............HELP   Wed Oct 05, 2011 11:47 am

Yes I know but is aimed at Commercial vehicles. It is based on the DVLA record, if yours is just listed as Hiace Van or camper then you fall under the LLEZ blanket, if you can get DVLA to change it to converted estate/MPV then you are not.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
toyboy
Not so new now
Not so new now

Cruising Cabin 1994

PostSubject: Re: London Low Emission Zone............HELP   Wed Oct 05, 2011 5:37 pm

Hi and thanks for the responses...looks like i will also go for the e4-130....cant afford anything else!!

Its a real killer as i live on the outer edge of the zone and have no wish to go central....i am at the moment trying to find out what those Black Taxi Drivers with older vehicles are fitting...

More ideas and info required please........HELP.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
KIWI DAVE
Not so new now
Not so new now

Number of posts : 66
Home City : EASTBOURNE
Model and year : SUPER CUSTOM 3.0LT TDI 4WD

Registration date : 2010-01-03

PostSubject: LEZ LOW EMISSION   Thu Oct 13, 2011 9:25 pm

Hi Toy Boy,

I am suprised that you need to have a filter fitted. I have just had confirmation that my Super Custom is compliant without one, this is based on the fact that its body type is shown as a Motorhome on the DVLA V5 registration documents and that its gross weight is under 2500KG, mine shows 2490 KG on the V5

Check out your V5 and look at D.3 and hopefully it is shown as a Motor home, if so you should be compliant.

Regards,

Dave
Back to top Go down
View user profile
toyboy
Not so new now
Not so new now

Cruising Cabin 1994

PostSubject: Re: London Low Emission Zone............HELP   Fri Oct 14, 2011 5:56 pm

Hi Dave

Thanks for the info my V5 shows the Body Type (D3) as Motor Caravan no weight is shown on the V5 but shows as 2760kg on the export certificate.

Nice to hear yours is compliant though.

More ideas and info required please........HELP.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
KIWI DAVE
Not so new now
Not so new now

Number of posts : 66
Home City : EASTBOURNE
Model and year : SUPER CUSTOM 3.0LT TDI 4WD

Registration date : 2010-01-03

PostSubject: Re: London Low Emission Zone............HELP   Fri Oct 14, 2011 6:52 pm

Hi Toy Boy,

If I was you I would go to the nearest public weigh bridge and get it weighed, you never know you may come under the LEZ 2500 KG cut off. If you do take the receipt and get your V5 amended. It may be that you would need have to have the gross weight recertificated??

The LEZ site shows clearly any "Motor Caravan" under 2500 KG gross weight is not affected under the new 2012 criteria.

Good luck Smile

Dave
Back to top Go down
View user profile
toyboy
Not so new now
Not so new now

Cruising Cabin 1994

PostSubject: Re: London Low Emission Zone............HELP   Fri Oct 14, 2011 7:32 pm

Yeah Thanks Dave i may do that.....
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Clive
Hiace Master
Hiace Master

PostSubject: Re: London Low Emission Zone............HELP   Mon Oct 17, 2011 7:37 am

As it happens I had notification on Saturday that I need to apply for exemption.

Here is the advice on the Etima site, I don't think the weight is shown on the VIN but can easily be found on www.toyodiy.com

Right, just phoned Transport for London to find out what's going on and what we need to do.

The story is that they get the vehicle details from DVLA. However, because Estimas and Lucidas are imported they don't have the vehicle weights and some of the vehicle descriptions are incorrect (like my V5 says it's a "Light 4X4 Utility", whereas in fact it's a 2WD MPV or minibus, and always has been).

So, what we have to do is as follows:

1. Go to www.tfl.gov.uk/lezlondon

2. Look for the group "Do I need to register"

3. Choose the last option "How to register"

4. Download the form from "Step 3"

5. You need a good-quality scan of your V5

6. You need a clear photograph of your actual vehicle's VIN Plate (the one on the bulkhead behind the battery) showing the vehicle weights, etc.

7. It will be preferred if you can collate all the information in a .pdf file so that it all stays together.

8. You can email it in to the address shown in "Step 4".

I warned them that there had been quite a bit of chat on the TEOC web site about this and on the face of it, Estimas and Lucidas shouldn't be included, so they could therefore expect quite a few applications coming through.

I spoke to Karen and then Chris.

Hope this helps.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
dieselnutjob

Number of posts : 14
Home City : London, UK
Registration date : 2011-04-02

PostSubject: Re: London Low Emission Zone............HELP   Mon Dec 05, 2011 12:50 pm

I spoke to TFL about a ten seater Hiace last week.
They say that "MPV" and "minibus" means the same thing to them.
An MPV with nine seats or less is exempt, so the thing to do is probably to get DVLA to list it as an MPV.
In our case we have had to remove the tenth seat for the time being and I am currently getting it listed by DVLA as a 9 seats.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
wafoo

Number of posts : 11
Home City : london, N22
Model and year : Lexus 1994 7 seats 3L Class MPV
Registration date : 2011-12-27

PostSubject: Re: London Low Emission Zone............HELP   Sat Feb 25, 2012 9:54 pm

Good news at last about my Lexus/Hiace SuperLimited Edition. DVLA have requested that I send them photos of the seats (6) and of the Reg Plate. They have now classed the vehicle as an M P V which is ok to use in the LEZ. Saved me a lot of akkers. London Transport have okayed it too, as exempt.
Thanks to all of you guys n dolls out there for your comments about this matter as its all a bit of a minefield with the DVLA holding the ace card. Logic prevailed QED Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: London Low Emission Zone............HELP   

Back to top Go down

London Low Emission Zone............HELP
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1