Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum

Anything Toyota Hiace related

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  

Share | 

OIL LEAK 1KZTE EGR CONTROL

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
johnny w

Number of posts : 11
Home City : gold coast
Model and year : 94 custom hiace3lt turbo diesel
Registration date : 2011-11-25

PostSubject: OIL LEAK 1KZTE EGR CONTROL   Fri Nov 25, 2011 10:52 am

G,day guys, anyone able to help me fix a oil leak on my1KZTE motor, coming from the erg control, I'v give the pipe which comes from the engine block to the ERG CONTROL a good clean
and the valve a clean but it continues to spit out oil, not a lot but over time makes a mess of everything within reach.like to do away with all that stuff but that seems to hard.
will try to post a picture.thanks to anyone in advance.johnny w.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
simongd

Number of posts : 176
Home City : Knowsley, Liverpool
Model and year : LH100G 1992 2.4 EFi turbo
Registration date : 2010-01-28

PostSubject: Re: OIL LEAK 1KZTE EGR CONTROL   Fri Nov 25, 2011 3:52 pm

What you can do is loosen the erg pipe that goes between the exhaust manifold and the control (the pipe that goes round behind the head) and make up two new gaskets out of gasket paper from a motor factors.

I have heard before now of someone placing blanking plates on the exhaust and inlet manifolds to bypass the egr valve. I don't know what effect this will have on fuel economy, the ECU or exhaust emmisions (w.r.t. the MOT).
Back to top Go down
View user profile
johnny w

PostSubject: Re: OIL LEAK 1KZTE EGR CONTROL   Fri Nov 25, 2011 10:20 pm

Thanks for the quick reply Simongd, I should have explained a bit better the oil seems to be coming out from the egr up near the diaphragm maybe around the shaft that works the thing
but the pipe from the motor to it I have cleaned and it seems fine, no leaks at the pipe itself going into the egr or coming out of the block,just thinking about it i guess the oil can only be coming from the block, so why and anyone no the repercussions on blocking the pipe off. and thanks again Simongd.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
srburnsy

Number of posts : 450
Home City : AUS
Model and year : 4wd sc
Registration date : 2008-06-04

PostSubject: Re: OIL LEAK 1KZTE EGR CONTROL   Fri Nov 25, 2011 11:31 pm

Yeah mine was the same, didn't really worry about it other than give it a wipe clean every now and then... I think its just a mix of oil vapour from the PCV and carbon from the egr. I have always wanted to blank it off and put oil catch can filter to stop carbon building up in the intake manifolds. In fact ive just done it to my new Triton and it works a treat.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
johnny w

PostSubject: Re: OIL LEAK 1KZTE EGR CONTROL   Fri Nov 25, 2011 11:47 pm

thanks for that Srburnsy, wish it was that easy to wipe clean i'd do that myself but it's a van and a bugger to get to.
did think of making up a foam piece to fit in the erg to soak up any oil and maybe clean that every couple or 3 mths
would that do any harm athink. thanks. johnny w
Back to top Go down
View user profile
srburnsy

Number of posts : 450
Home City : AUS
Model and year : 4wd sc
Registration date : 2008-06-04

PostSubject: Re: OIL LEAK 1KZTE EGR CONTROL   Fri Nov 25, 2011 11:56 pm

If your that worried i'd be doing the blank and catch can idea, some have already installed blanking plates, think there is a thread on it somewhere.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
chrisandhiace

Number of posts : 502
Home City : Preston
Model and year : LH 107 4wd 1992
Registration date : 2008-11-18

PostSubject: Re: OIL LEAK 1KZTE EGR CONTROL   Sat Nov 26, 2011 12:27 am

On the 2.8, just blanking/interupting the vacuum tube to the egr stops it opening. My vaccuum pipe is pulled off and capped....did'nt want all the crap going back through the head
Back to top Go down
View user profile
johnny w

PostSubject: Re: OIL LEAK 1KZTE EGR CONTROL   Sat Nov 26, 2011 12:40 am

thats obviously not giving you any dramas Chrisandhiace so might give that a go , i did think i read somewhere that the motor runs hotter when you do that and it gets hot enough down here in Aus so might look into that side of things, thanks again everyone for there help its much appreciated. johnny w
wish i know how to post pictures i'll get there one day.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
chrisandhiace

PostSubject: Re: OIL LEAK 1KZTE EGR CONTROL   Sat Nov 26, 2011 2:48 pm

Not sure it would run hotter...my understanding being it only recirculates at idle or very low rpm.
The 2.8 is different to the 3ltr maybe....the advice I got at the time was leave any electronic plugs alone so the computer understands what you have done...and as well as plugging the vac tube (ballbearing or similar) make sure the egr vac spigot is sealed too...just incase it gets rehooked up at some stage (to prevent gritty stuff collecting in the spigot working through to the head)
I had (still have) mine on a hozelock fishtank type inline valve so I could play on and off....no appreciable performance difference...though 'maybe' an extra 1mpg.....
Back to top Go down
View user profile
johnny w

PostSubject: Re: OIL LEAK 1KZTE EGR CONTROL   Sat Nov 26, 2011 11:40 pm

G'ay Chrisandhiace thanks for your insights mate appreciate that, last week i pulled the pipe coming from the exhust to the erg and the erg off and give it all a really good clean and there was plenty of junk in the pipe believe me also a lot of what i think was engine oil in the erg which is where the oil leak is coming from, like i said give it all a good clean and put it all back,
problem solved or so i thought :
well here we are again a week later and the leak around the erg appears again so i strip the whole thing again and when pulling the erg from the bolts not really taken a lot of notice tipped the erg up only to tip a fair drop of oil all over the carpet in the back of the van, not a big deal but looking at the pipe from the exhaust that still seems clean so now im kinda thinking the oil is coming from the inlet side of things which seems to suggest may be oil is getting past a turbo seal, so would appreciate your thoughts on that, also if i did blank that inlet off would that mean that the oil now in the erg would end up going into the head?
Appreciate all your help mate thanks. johnny w
Back to top Go down
View user profile
AussieQ

Number of posts : 884
Home City : Hervey Bay Qld
Model and year : 1994 sc
Registration date : 2008-08-15

PostSubject: Re: OIL LEAK 1KZTE EGR CONTROL   Sun Nov 27, 2011 3:28 am

Damn, got me going now. I have had a burnt oil smell coming for a while now. No leaks just a smell.Don't want to be in a hurry to change valve looks a bit XXie.

http://www.toyodiy.com/parts/p_J_199409_TOYOTA_HIACE_KZH100G-MFPQT_2501.html

Welcome to the forum too mate. A few joining from the coast now that I have left Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
johnny w

PostSubject: Re: OIL LEAK 1KZTE EGR CONTROL   Sun Nov 27, 2011 4:32 am

G'day AussieQ, thanks for the welcome and what a great forum this is, a really helpful bunch of blokes,
if its a burnt smell could it possibly be a leak from the ventilation (breather pipe comes out the head around the back L/h/ side looking from front,) dripping on to the exhaust manifold insulator cover, mine leaks there a bit its as tight as i can fasten it so maybe a dud bit of hose, just a thought, thanks mate johnny w
Back to top Go down
View user profile
AussieQ

PostSubject: Re: OIL LEAK 1KZTE EGR CONTROL   Sun Nov 27, 2011 5:54 am

Thanks mate, must get down and have a look one day. I spose when it drips on the floor the boss will make me Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
chrisandhiace

PostSubject: Re: OIL LEAK 1KZTE EGR CONTROL   Sun Nov 27, 2011 8:38 pm

Johnny...guess the oil turbo seal may be weeping...dunno...maybe not though...depending on design oil vapour may just be condensing there if the system is not allowing all vapours to be drawn back through
On mine (which is non turbo) oil vapours did seem to mist (and stick) through the egr and on way back to head... rather than just get vapourised through the intense heat of the exhaust
Personally I can't see the point of sucking sticky oily fumes back through the head...
Following the the associated vac tubes from egr...just where it goes to a gizmo on the head there is a small reducer in the vac pipe at the t-section...taking the vac draw to maybe 1mm....this is likely blocked if you have it (easy to clean out) and might be influencing things...
After the egr mine has a gizmo on the head with a vacuum actuated flap valve in it...(reducer in the side....no vacuum = no flap function?)...took it apart some years ago so fuzzy memory.
You could investigate that...see if yours is the same, but personally I'd just drain any surplus oil collected and disable the egr....then see how she goes...if the egr valve doesn't open it shouldn't collect oil.
Some people used to just make a blanking plate to completely block the exhaust feed to the egr...for my purposes just stopping the vac to egr worked well enough...don't really know anymore than that...hope it helps
Back to top Go down
View user profile
johnny w

PostSubject: Re: OIL LEAK 1KZTE EGR CONTROL   Thu Dec 01, 2011 6:07 am

G'day Chrisandhiace thanks and all your thoughts have been taken on-board, I've cleaned all the vac pipes which iv'e not done in the 10 years that i have owned the van,
low and behold i find 2 of the pipes are blocked off with a small bearing, the 2 pipes which go into the Actuator which is a fancy word for shut off valve, so I think the upshot of it all is that that part of the system has never been in operation (I think this is done as the van was for the Japanese market and they don't bother with the emissions control over there) but anyway still doesn't help my problem with oil in the ERG, NOT SURE WHAT YOU MEAN IN ONE OF YOUR POSTS ABOUT A ERG VAC SPIGOT, ? I did talk to a turbo "expert" here on the coast and run the idea past him and he thought if it was getting past the turbo into the intake it just might be coming from the breather tube which comes from the head to the turbo (somewhere not sure yet to have a look)and if that's the case i am in a bit of trouble with back pressure, so got to check all that stuff out next, wouldn't care the dam thing runs so sweet just now.
thanks again for your input and still thinking of blanking plates CHEERS johnny w.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
AussieQ

PostSubject: Re: OIL LEAK 1KZTE EGR CONTROL   Thu Dec 01, 2011 7:31 am

Damn, I wish we had ours 10 years.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
chrisandhiace

PostSubject: Re: OIL LEAK 1KZTE EGR CONTROL   Thu Dec 01, 2011 10:27 pm

In the gallery (users personal albums) I've posted some pics with the info I know...I expect the 3ltr has a more complex system...
There are bits on blanking in the net.....
http://uk.images.search.yahoo.com/search/images;_ylt=A0PDodlh_tdOc24AoxpNBQx.?p=toyota+egr+&fr=&ei=utf-8&n=30&x=wrt&y=Search
Back to top Go down
View user profile
johnny w

PostSubject: Re: OIL LEAK 1KZTE EGR CONTROL   Fri Dec 02, 2011 10:25 am

G'day Chrisandhiace , mate thanks for all your help, you are a Legend ,hope the winter is kind to you this year, I am originally from Teesside.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
johnny w

PostSubject: Re: OIL LEAK 1KZTE EGR CONTROL   Tue Dec 06, 2011 5:48 am

G'day everyone wondered if anyone has seen this little gem of an idea, I've got an old temp gauge i took out of my van and looked at it and its not quite the same gauge as they have, but what they have done is a great idea as there problem is the same as ours, the gauge resisters seem different on there's to what we have on our temp gauge so there may have to be some research to do but anyone got ideas on this one. cheers johnny w.
http://forum.ih8mud.com/80-series-tech/64252-93-97-coolant-temperature-gauge-modification.html
Back to top Go down
View user profile
simongd

Number of posts : 176
Home City : Knowsley, Liverpool
Model and year : LH100G 1992 2.4 EFi turbo
Registration date : 2010-01-28

PostSubject: Re: OIL LEAK 1KZTE EGR CONTROL   Tue Dec 06, 2011 7:54 pm

its a great idea johnny and I would do it too.

http://www.toyotasurf.asn.au/techsite/tempgauge.htm is a link to another mod on a hilux temp gauge.

I'm no electrical engineer, but I guess maybe someone could see the electrical wiring diagram and work out the resistors needed.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
johnny w

PostSubject: Re: OIL LEAK 1KZTE EGR CONTROL   Wed Dec 07, 2011 5:55 am

G'day Simongd I did check the toyotasurf forum site out and as you can see the temp gauge is different to ours
so like you say it needs someone with a bit of knowhow on what spec resisters are needed, get that then we might have a temp gauge that is some help before its to late.this is what ours looks like the one below and which resisters need to change is the question so anyone with helpful information its much appreciated. cheers johnny w.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
mr freeze

Number of posts : 148
Home City : Sydney South
Model and year : 99 SC 4WD 1KZ-TE
Registration date : 2008-07-14

PostSubject: Re: OIL LEAK 1KZTE EGR CONTROL   Fri Dec 16, 2011 11:03 pm

First thing I did when i got my van was to pull the vacuum hose off the EGR and plug it.
it only recycles the exhaust gas on idle any way
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Robbo

Number of posts : 102
Home City : Forster, NSW Australia.
Model and year : 2WD 1996 SC Living Saloon with automatic turbo diesel 3.0lt 1KZ-TE.
Registration date : 2008-02-16

PostSubject: Re: OIL LEAK 1KZTE EGR CONTROL   Tue Jul 21, 2015 2:52 am

Digging up old threads here as I've had trouble with our 96 SC 3.0lt turbo diesel. It ran very badly on a trip to the snow recently. Hard to start, gutless, engine would cut out etc.

I've had the driver seat and panels out and had a look around, found the EGR system then removed the rear access hatch. I ended up replacing all the little control hoses with new silicone ones and I also cut out about 1.5" of the EGR pipe (behind cylinder head) hammered the open ends together and got the seams welded to seal them. Put it all back together. No more EGR. I left all the controls connected as it doesn't matter. It just cannot pump/suck exhaust through now.

I found the little filter between inlet manifold and MAP sensor was cracked so removed it temporarily. Also replaced hose clamps on the crank case breather pipe that goes to the turbo compressor inlet as the clamps were loose and hoses not really sealing. Now it has more power, like it used to.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: OIL LEAK 1KZTE EGR CONTROL   Today at 1:55 pm

Back to top Go down

OIL LEAK 1KZTE EGR CONTROL
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1