Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum

Anything Toyota Hiace related

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  

Share | 

wheels off balance... causing uneven wear

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Fiona
Been here a while
Been here a while

Number of posts : 164
Home City : Brinsmead, QLD, Australia
Registration date : 2010-04-11

PostSubject: wheels off balance... causing uneven wear   Tue Jan 03, 2012 11:48 am

Hey guys Smile
Just wondering if anyone has this issue or can help me nut it out.. My Hiace wears unevenly on the front tyres. Mostly the passenger side. On the out rim of the wheel. When Ihad 2 tyres replaced & a wheel alignment/balance & all that done about 3 or 4 months back the guy said its just one of thsoe thing that Hiaces are bad for. . the uneven wear..
But after4 months its to the point I really should replace the tyre again. That can't be right... What is the tyre place missing? There must be something wrong?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ruffnut
Hiace Master
Hiace Master

Number of posts : 990
Home City : Highett Australia
Model and year : kzh100 1996
Registration date : 2008-02-28

PostSubject: Re: wheels off balance... causing uneven wear   Tue Jan 03, 2012 12:38 pm

hi fiona
if the balance and alignment is ok could be ball joints, tie rod,or shock absorber worn
cheers dave
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Fiona
Been here a while
Been here a while

PostSubject: Re: wheels off balance... causing uneven wear   Tue Jan 03, 2012 1:33 pm

Thanks Dave. I plan on taking it back to the place I use so I will get them to check these things.

Also, is there a recommended tyre to use on the Hiace? Im in Australia & its on road 2 wd only. 99 SC.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Fiona
Been here a while
Been here a while

PostSubject: Re: wheels off balance... causing uneven wear   Tue Jan 03, 2012 1:35 pm

But Im in the tropics, wet roads a half the year. the back end actually swung out on me going around a round about the other week!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ruffnut
Hiace Master
Hiace Master

PostSubject: Re: wheels off balance... causing uneven wear   Tue Jan 03, 2012 10:39 pm

I am using bridgestone supercats but any tyre as long as they are weight rated for the sc.
other wise your insurance won't pay if the worst was to happen.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Fiona
Been here a while
Been here a while

PostSubject: Re: wheels off balance... causing uneven wear   Wed Jan 04, 2012 12:39 pm

What is the weight rate? My insurer didn't really know much at all about imports. So Im not sure they would have a leg to stand on. As far as they care its a normal car
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ruffnut
Hiace Master
Hiace Master

PostSubject: Re: wheels off balance... causing uneven wear   Wed Jan 04, 2012 1:02 pm

I will check mine and post in the morning for you Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Fiona
Been here a while
Been here a while

PostSubject: Re: wheels off balance... causing uneven wear   Wed Jan 04, 2012 2:01 pm

thanks. The tyres the place put on are not the big thick chunky treds that were on it thats for sure.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ruffnut
Hiace Master
Hiace Master

PostSubject: Re: wheels off balance... causing uneven wear   Thu Jan 05, 2012 7:03 am

hi fiona
sorry I'm late weight load should be about 95 (690 kg) per tyre.
I am using 295/65/15 95h .
the first set of numbers are the tyre size the 95h is the weight and speed rating
hope this helps you out.

cheers Dave
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Clive
Hiace Master
Hiace Master

Number of posts : 1094
Home City : Bristol UK
Model and year : 2003 Range Rover 4.4 goes like a rocket and drinks like Oliver Reed!
Registration date : 2008-11-05

PostSubject: Re: wheels off balance... causing uneven wear   Thu Jan 05, 2012 8:04 am

What tyre pressure are you running at?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ruffnut
Hiace Master
Hiace Master

PostSubject: Re: wheels off balance... causing uneven wear   Thu Jan 05, 2012 9:35 am

i'm running 40psi all round
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Clive
Hiace Master
Hiace Master

Model and year : 2003 Range Rover 4.4 goes like a rocket and drinks like Oliver Reed!

PostSubject: Re: wheels off balance... causing uneven wear   Thu Jan 05, 2012 11:57 am

Assuming tracking and suspension all adjusted correctly, outside edge wear maybe due to low tyre pressure. A lot of abrasion will occur on fast right hand turns, such as around a roundabout, due to the weight of the vehicle, which will be enhanced if the tyres are underinflated and/or not of the correct load rating.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Fiona
Been here a while
Been here a while

PostSubject: Re: wheels off balance... causing uneven wear   Thu Jan 05, 2012 1:39 pm

The tyres are 205/70/15...96h So I'm assuming are suitable..

I don't *think* they are under inflated. BUT i have not checked. I mean they were only done 3 or 4 months ago.. how often should I be checking the tyre pressure? I don't think they would be on 40psi.. I think they would be around 32/35psi..
Either way I need a new frigging tyre again.

Do you think if they missed something wrong that I should have to pay for new tyres? They told me its just "hiace" But F**k that.. people wouldn't just put up with changing the tyre every few months!

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Clive
Hiace Master
Hiace Master

PostSubject: Re: wheels off balance... causing uneven wear   Thu Jan 05, 2012 2:57 pm

96 load rating is fine.

No a tyre should last as long as the one on the other side.

With the new one fitted try a higher pressure all round.

No it is not just because it is a Hiace, but if they have chacked the alignment and you have not noticed it pulling to one side then there is not much more you can say, other than try another place.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
chrisandhiace
Hiace Master
Hiace Master

Number of posts : 502
Home City : Preston
Model and year : LH 107 4wd 1992
Registration date : 2008-11-18

PostSubject: Re: wheels off balance... causing uneven wear   Thu Jan 05, 2012 6:51 pm

Think my load rating is 98 on the 4wd...chart below
http://www.blackcircles.com/general/load-rating
Some cheap tyres just don't seem to track in a straight line....ie: switch the sides over and it will pull the other way
Best to get a name brand tyre..cheap rubber burns really fast
Though the door card recommends pressures in the 30s I think 40 is more suitable...but check max permissable pressure written on the tyre..(the commercial vans run much higher pressures)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ruffnut
Hiace Master
Hiace Master

PostSubject: Re: wheels off balance... causing uneven wear   Thu Jan 05, 2012 10:44 pm

I check my tyres weekly including the spare and have found that i had a bad valve in the spare by doing it luckily also found that at 40 psi i have had no issues with wear.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Fiona
Been here a while
Been here a while

PostSubject: Re: wheels off balance... causing uneven wear   Fri Jan 06, 2012 10:15 am

thanks guys. my BIL is a tyre dude but I didn't want to call him as his daughter is in the middle of chemo for leukaemia. But I called & he basically said the same thing. Go some where else. BUT its hard as I don't know anywhere else that is close to something I can go do while I wait with the kids.

Its booked in for Wednesday.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ruffnut
Hiace Master
Hiace Master

PostSubject: Re: wheels off balance... causing uneven wear   Fri Jan 06, 2012 12:37 pm

hope you get it sorted fiona
Back to top Go down
View user profile
chrisandhiace
Hiace Master
Hiace Master

Number of posts : 502
Home City : Preston
Model and year : LH 107 4wd 1992
Registration date : 2008-11-18

PostSubject: Re: wheels off balance... causing uneven wear   Fri Jan 06, 2012 11:46 pm

Good luck...in the UK there are a number of mobile tyre fitters (e-tyres are one)...choose the tyre on the net and they come to you and fit/balance..very competative and saves time/hassle.
Guess longer distances make things more complex in some countries
Back to top Go down
View user profile
rawcraftwood

Number of posts : 4
Home City : port macquarie
Model and year : '95 super custom
Registration date : 2012-01-10

PostSubject: Re: wheels off balance... causing uneven wear   Tue Jan 10, 2012 12:49 pm

Hi Fiona

Having owned a my work hiace ( not a sc ) for the past 6 years, done at least 150kms, and have been through 3 sets of tyres ( commercial ), something is a miss in your front end. My work van is loaded to the hilt with tools and materials, and the only reason the passenger front tyre gets scrubbed out is the amount of roundabouts in my area and if the pressure is a little low. "It's a Hiace thing " is used when someone is too lazy to look for a cause, as a solution ( new tyre every 6 months ) is more profitable to them. Unfortunately, it is a copout, which occurs more and more.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Fiona
Been here a while
Been here a while

PostSubject: Re: wheels off balance... causing uneven wear   Wed Jan 11, 2012 2:09 pm

well took it in today. The alignment was way out apparently so that was corrected & they replaced the tyre free of charge!

So will keep a close eye on it & the minute it looks to be wearing again I will take it back.

Thanks
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Clive
Hiace Master
Hiace Master

PostSubject: Re: wheels off balance... causing uneven wear   Wed Jan 11, 2012 2:52 pm

To we way out it must have been set incorrect in the first place, I say must have been as you got a free tyre.

Bet you have no further problems.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ruffnut
Hiace Master
Hiace Master

PostSubject: Re: wheels off balance... causing uneven wear   Wed Jan 11, 2012 8:50 pm

great result hope all goes well
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: wheels off balance... causing uneven wear   

Back to top Go down

wheels off balance... causing uneven wear
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1