Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum

Anything Toyota Hiace related

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  

Share | 

Exhausts UK

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
WGWarburton
Been here a while
Been here a while

Number of posts : 158
Home City : Central Scotland
Model and year : 94 2.8 Noppo HiTop Super-Long
Registration date : 2012-02-07

PostSubject: Exhausts UK   Fri May 11, 2012 11:29 am

Hi,
This may be old hat but I couldn't find much of the info on this board, so I thought I'd post what I've found out so far. Will follow up in a bit when I know more.

Firstly- This is largely about Mk-IV HiAces- the 90s ones.

Basic info- there were three wheelbase lengths produced- standard (SWB), long-wheelbase(LWB) and superlong(SLWB). I believe these to be 2330mm, 2590mm and 2890mm. There were also standard and high rooflines- the SWB only came in standard roofline, the LWB came in standard and hi-roof, the SLWB only in hi-roof. This may help identification, though only the wheelbase affects the exhaust length!

Key point from this is that the SWB and LWB were available in the UK. The SLWB wasn't, as I understand it.

The 2.8 diesel engine uses the same exhaust "shape" as the 2.4TD. From '80 to '95 they came as a two-part system- a front pipe with a flexible joint and a rear section with the silencer/muffler, which is cylindrical.

Later ones came with a more complex system with an oval silencer and with or without a cat: euro-2 from '95 to 2001 and euro-3 during 2001.

Useful link:
http://www.cats-direct-shop.co.uk/toyota-hi-ace-exhaust-system.php

..has illustrations of the types.

OK, back to the early 90s models.

If you have a SWB or LWB with a 2.4TD or 2.8 n/a diesel you should be able to get these from Kwik-Fit or similar for reasonable money. The SLWB is a different story- the front section is the same as the SWB/LWB one, so you're OK there. The back box section is a "dealer only part", apparently, and Toyota in the UK are asking over 500 for it.

However, inspection suggests that the only difference is that the straight pipe at the front of the unit is 300mm longer than the LWB one. Rather than paying 400 for a foot long piece of steel pipe, my current plan is to have my mechanic weld in an extension. He's on holiday at the moment but I'll let you know how I get on. I expect any decent "custom" exhaust shop could achieve this(!)... if anyone's been down this route before, please let us know how you got on!

If anyone has similar info about the 3.0l Turbo diesel HiAces it would probably be useful to add it here. The link above doesn't reference them- import only? Anyone recognise the parts pictured?

Cheers,
W.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
WGWarburton
Been here a while
Been here a while

PostSubject: Re: Exhausts UK   Mon May 14, 2012 11:31 pm

Hi again,
OK- quick follow-up. My mechanic cut the pipe and welded a length of slightly larger tubing over the cut ends, extending it to fit the space. A couple of hours labour and a few quid for pipe and welding gas. Nice job, too.

Sorted: net cost well under half of the 700 to 800 quid or so it was going to cost using the dealer-sourced parts.

Cheers,
W.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
izzzzythedog
Not so new now
Not so new now

Number of posts : 69
Home City : midlands
Registration date : 2011-09-17

PostSubject: Re: Exhausts UK   Tue May 15, 2012 6:26 pm

im looking to replace the lot after the back parted company a few months ago ,,,,,oops

doesnt seem any fabricators in the Leicester district so ill maybe have to go to birmingham
Back to top Go down
View user profile
WGWarburton
Been here a while
Been here a while

PostSubject: Re: Exhausts UK   Wed Jun 13, 2012 2:36 pm

Hi,
Any news on this izzzzy? Do you have a Super-Long, too?

Cheers,
W.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Clive
Hiace Master
Hiace Master

Number of posts : 1094
Home City : Bristol UK
Model and year : 2003 Range Rover 4.4 goes like a rocket and drinks like Oliver Reed!
Registration date : 2008-11-05

PostSubject: Re: Exhausts UK   Wed Jun 13, 2012 2:56 pm

May be worth getting it made in stainless steel if you intend to keep it for a while.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
izzzzythedog
Not so new now
Not so new now

PostSubject: Re: Exhausts UK   Fri Jun 15, 2012 12:26 am

WGWarburton wrote:
Hi,
Any news on this izzzzy? Do you have a Super-Long, too?

Cheers,
W.

nah . mines a normal length but 3 liter , id love a super long but im happy with what i have so cant complain

so what have i found ? not alot really , a sports cat can be dropped on for the right price , i also replaced the entire exhaust from catback this week , i used these guys

http://mijexhaust.com/

i had a standard diameter fitted along with a silent backbox ( vrs sports was an option lol ) , total came in at 295 which im very pleased about , the last pricing up i ventured in was storing out of a toyota dealers when he had reached the 850 mark on supply only without the vat !!!! so anyway its easy enough to get round parts supply if you think outside the box a little Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile
redcore4
Not so new now
Not so new now

Number of posts : 22
Home City : Manchester
Model and year : super custom 2.4TD manual - 1992
Registration date : 2010-05-08

PostSubject: Re: Exhausts UK   Mon Jul 23, 2012 11:40 pm

I just had trouble getting a front pipe for my exhaust.

The place doing my engine recon advised me that it'd probably need replacing and offered to do it (free!) if i got the part for them. Bought one that fitted the manufacturer's recommendation and was the type specified on www.toyodiy.com (marvellous site!) for a LH100 van...

buuut it didn't fit. it was about 6 inches too long and came out at the wrong angle. so we sent this one back. the next place to work on my van (for the MOT after the recon) bought a further 3 parts in the hope that they'd find the right one but none fitted. in the end, they had to buy the recommended one and then cut a section out and re-weld it so it was pointing the right direction.

it seems exhausts for these beasts are... exhausting!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
izzzzythedog
Not so new now
Not so new now

PostSubject: Re: Exhausts UK   Tue Jul 24, 2012 5:49 pm

dam-it

the bloody flexy has failed now , ill get it back into the same place and post up the result , i also intend to paint the crap out the rest of it with zink paint to stop further rot , shouldnt be any after this
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Exhausts UK   

Back to top Go down

Exhausts UK
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum  :: Hiace Mechanical Matters :: GREASE MONKEY !!! (sorry couldnt resist its a BF2142 thing) :: Members guides to fixing problems :: Members guides to fixing problems-
Jump to: