Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum

Anything Toyota Hiace related

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  

Share | 

Radiator hoses - Toyota or aftermarket?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
wernerk
Been here a while
Been here a while

Number of posts : 160
Home City : Flinders Park, South Australia
Model and year : 06/94 Toyota Hiace Super Custom 3.0L TD AWD
Registration date : 2012-01-19

PostSubject: Radiator hoses - Toyota or aftermarket?   Wed Aug 29, 2012 12:30 am

I'm looking at getting spare radiator hoses and was wondering if there was a major difference between Toyota and aftermarket e.g. Mackay Industries?

At present as far as I've been able to find out, there are no Toyota hoses in either the Melbourne or Sydney Toyota warehouses. The Toyota dealer was going to contact dealerships in Perth & Brisbane to see if they have any. He rang back a few days ago, but I was unavailable and now I can't get through to him. He said if there's none in Australia, they'd have to come from Japan with delivery ca 3-4 weeks. affraid

I noticed that my top hose isn't a Toyota one, it's a Mackay Industries one. Unfortunately there is no part number on it, just a batch number. I contacted Mackay Industries yesterday and they were going to try and find out what hose it was, but I'm still waiting to hear back from them.

Meantime, I pulled the hose off from where it was leaking and have sanded back the metal. There was some scale buildup. I have put the hose back on and used a worm drive hose clamp instead of the spring type. I have also put some silicone tape around the outside of the join between the hose and metal.

Hopefully that will do the trick for the time being. I still think the hose is ok, maybe just needed the scale removed. Time will reveal all... Smile

Anyway, what's people's thought re Toyota vs aftermarket (made in Australia in this case)?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Clive
Hiace Master
Hiace Master

Number of posts : 1094
Home City : Bristol UK
Model and year : 2003 Range Rover 4.4 goes like a rocket and drinks like Oliver Reed!
Registration date : 2008-11-05

PostSubject: Re: Radiator hoses - Toyota or aftermarket?   Wed Aug 29, 2012 7:34 am

Aftermarket if it is formed to fit, not made to fit, i.e kinked or stretched.

It may take 3-4 weeks to arrive and be twice the price of any other hose but you know it will fit straight on and last another 15 years or so.

I suspect the previous replacement was put on without cleaning up the metal as you have done, providing the rubber is still flexing ok it will be fit for purpose for a good few years. I'd wait and see if you have any more leaks before you replace.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
redrockdog

Number of posts : 2
Home City : rutherglen
Registration date : 2012-11-07

PostSubject: Re: Radiator hoses - Toyota or aftermarket?   Wed Nov 07, 2012 11:13 am

Hi I am only new to the world of supers as i am working on one that my uncle recently perchased and i have offered to do a full service and check it over,things are going slow as i am finding it very hard to get the right spear parts for , i am trying to get hold of both top and bottom radiator hoses,The bus is a 1994 hiace super gl 4x4 2.8 diesel auto,can any one help me please Cool
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Clive
Hiace Master
Hiace Master

Number of posts : 1094
Home City : Bristol UK
Model and year : 2003 Range Rover 4.4 goes like a rocket and drinks like Oliver Reed!
Registration date : 2008-11-05

PostSubject: Re: Radiator hoses - Toyota or aftermarket?   Wed Nov 07, 2012 12:51 pm

Toyota would be my 1st choice, failing that log on to www.toyodiy.com input your vehicle details and find out the part numbers, then see if any local outlet can cross match them.

As said above you know Toyota will fit.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
redrockdog

Number of posts : 2
Home City : rutherglen
Registration date : 2012-11-07

PostSubject: Re: Radiator hoses - Toyota or aftermarket?   Wed Nov 07, 2012 9:13 pm

Thanks clive
Back to top Go down
View user profile
MaXiLeeCH
Not so new now
Not so new now

Number of posts : 63
Home City : Innisfail QLD Australia
Model and year : 1985 Maxda T3500 Parkway Motorhome
(I upgraded from my 1994 LH125 Hiace Commuter!)

Registration date : 2012-04-30

PostSubject: Re: Radiator hoses - Toyota or aftermarket?   Sun Jan 20, 2013 6:01 am

Mackey hoses and rubber products are great!
I've NEVER had a problem with them in all the time I've been a mechanic (almost 40 years now)

Go here: http://www.mackayrubber.com.au/catalogues/radiator-engine-hoses.php and lookup your vehicle, you'll get all the correct details there and you can order them through Supercheap Auto if you want. (Or any reputable automotive parts reseller)

Jeff C.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
1997supercustom

Number of posts : 6
Home City : Australia Wangaratta
Registration date : 2013-02-26

PostSubject: Re: Radiator hoses - Toyota or aftermarket?   Wed Mar 20, 2013 9:08 pm

I was able to replace all radiator hose, ordered from my l;ocal toyta dealer, using the id plate from chasis and telling them its a "grey Import". Hoses turned up in two days
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Radiator hoses - Toyota or aftermarket?   

Back to top Go down

Radiator hoses - Toyota or aftermarket?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1