Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum

Anything Toyota Hiace related

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  

Share | 

1992 Speedo Sensor

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
philburf

Number of posts : 13
Home City : Bristol UK
Model and year : 1992 Hiace Super GL 4x4 Auto Camper
Registration date : 2010-04-30

PostSubject: 1992 Speedo Sensor   Sun Oct 07, 2012 12:13 pm

Hi,
Sorry if i'm repeating a post, i have checked but couldn't find anything.
I have a Toyota Hiace 1992 (4x4) automatic LH1190045941 and on a recent trip to the Hebrides the speedometer stopped working. It now is working intermittently but mainly not. I have no other symptoms and everything else seems to be working as it should. I'm guessing this is the speedo sensor, are there any checks i can do? Can the sensor be removed for checking / replaced without leaking gearbox oil or do i need to empty oil? I have checked the connection on the sensor and they are as clean as a whistle. One other note is that this happened just after i had been using 4wd and L4 to get unstuck not sure if this is connected ? One odd thing was that the i remember the 4wd light did not go out right away and i seem to have to depress the button a couple of times to deactivate?
Any help would be appreciated.
Phil.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
chrisandhiace
Hiace Master
Hiace Master

Number of posts : 502
Home City : Preston
Model and year : LH 107 4wd 1992
Registration date : 2008-11-18

PostSubject: Re: 1992 Speedo Sensor   Thu Oct 11, 2012 5:10 pm

Analogue or digital speedo?.....
Cable....If the gearbox end of cable looks ok (unscrew to check) then unclip it from behind dash ....check it spins when you drive forward/back...if not then it must be snapped / disengaged somewhere....but...have you got an inline gear reducer to convert to kph....the problem may be there.
Speedo problem is not related to the 4wd ......if its hesitant to engage/disengage it either sticky and needs activating more...or there is a slight vacuum leak....a blip on the throttle may help it switch quicker.
If you ever start pulling vac tubes of the actuator be very careful as it can fall apart / split in 2 very easily...

Last edited by chrisandhiace on Thu Oct 11, 2012 5:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
chrisandhiace
Hiace Master
Hiace Master

PostSubject: Re: 1992 Speedo Sensor   Thu Oct 11, 2012 5:20 pm

Back to top Go down
View user profile
philburf

PostSubject: Re: 1992 Speedo Sensor   Fri Oct 12, 2012 8:51 am

chrisandhiace wrote:
Analogue or digital speedo?.....
Cable....If the gearbox end of cable looks ok (unscrew to check) then unclip it from behind dash ....check it spins when you drive forward/back...if not then it must be snapped / disengaged somewhere....but...have you got an inline gear reducer to convert to kph....the problem may be there.
Speedo problem is not related to the 4wd ......if its hesitant to engage/disengage it either sticky and needs activating more...or there is a slight vacuum leak....a blip on the throttle may help it switch quicker.
If you ever start pulling vac tubes of the actuator be very careful as it can fall apart / split in 2 very easily...

Hi Chrisandhiace,
Thanks for your response, much appreciated, but that all sounds too easy! I'm a 'get stuck in and have a go' type and i've already had a look around and unclipping from behind the dash looks nigh on impossible without removing fascia and clocks etc and i'm not even sure it is a cable! I can't see any cables coming to/from the dash or gearbox but I've spotted what i think is the speedo sensor which is right at the back of the gearbox (auto) just befor the rear drive shaft and on closer inspection it only has a plug and i think 3 wires! Can you confirm this is the speedo sesor or is this something else? If the speedo is definately cable driven than any hints on how to locate it would be much apreciated.
Many thanks,
Phil.
ps. Analogue speedo.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
chrisandhiace
Hiace Master
Hiace Master

PostSubject: Re: 1992 Speedo Sensor   Fri Oct 12, 2012 7:03 pm

Phil...I don't think there is an electronic sensor for the analogue clocks.....at least not on mine...the cable can be seen coming under the drivers side to the rear offside edge of the gearbox.
Normally the cable (around 1/2" thick including sheath) would just screw into the trachoid pump. (the trachoid pump is a small hydraulic type thing with 2 pipes on it....I think it regulates the power steering assistance). Mine also has a right angled ratio changing device that changes the speed at which the cable spins to convert the kph to mph speed...this is mounted inline and screwed into the trachoid pump at the rear outer edge of the gearbox.
To clarify the model a bit...mine is a 2.8 naturally aspirated with auto box and p/t 4wd....its not an efi...these may be different.
If you have'nt already then regster and have a more detailed look at the 'toyodiy' site
http://www.toyodiy.com/

By the way...the clock face comes out as one unit...once you spot the screws its fairly quick to do
Back to top Go down
View user profile
philburf

PostSubject: Re: 1992 Speedo Sensor   Sat Oct 13, 2012 10:42 am

Chris, thanks for all your help! sounds like yours is similar to mine as mine is also 2.8 part time 4wd, however my chassis number starts with LH119 so not sure what the difference might be? Any ideas? Either way i'm still struggling to find the speedo cable. Should i be able to see it at the back of the gearbox (near the transfer box) without getting it on the ramps and without removing the covers underneath or is it more involved? I know i'll probably need to get it on the ramps to do any work but was hoping i could find and check it with out going to the trouble. Any ideas where i could get any pictures / diagrams?
I've got some rust treatment to be getting on with so no rush, but any further info would be much appreciated.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
chrisandhiace
Hiace Master
Hiace Master

PostSubject: Re: 1992 Speedo Sensor   Sat Oct 13, 2012 5:04 pm

Well no ramps are needed....just a plastic bag to kneel on if outside.
THe cable should be pretty easy to see...braided black cover about 12mm / 1/2" thick....under drivers side...goes over the exhaust front baffle....screws into the offside of the transfer box via the small trachoid pump (which has 2x small steel pipes exiting vertically before heading off to the engine bay)....it screws on with a simple knurled ring......should be easy to see if looking under just behind the 1st exhaust baffle.
As mine has the kph adaptor on the end maybe it was routed to the shell somewhere but was left hanging on conversion..dunno Sad
Back to top Go down
View user profile
chrisandhiace
Hiace Master
Hiace Master

PostSubject: Re: 1992 Speedo Sensor   Sat Oct 13, 2012 5:20 pm

Sorry..if you search for trachoid pump you will fing nothing....my error
The term is trochoid pump.......trochoid pump.
For extra info...the seal in mine failed some time ago...so atf was sucked up the speedo cable and deposited to the rear of the clocks..which would then drip onto my left foot. The only cure was renewal of the trochoid pump and a new pair of shoes
Back to top Go down
View user profile
chrisandhiace
Hiace Master
Hiace Master

PostSubject: Re: 1992 Speedo Sensor   Sat Oct 13, 2012 5:30 pm

Do you have one of these maybe instead (scroll down) ??
http://www.toymods.org.au/forums/parts-wanted/40100-wtb-speed-sensor-r154-g-b-grande-s2-mx83-cressida-abs-will-do.html
Don't know anything about these though.....
Back to top Go down
View user profile
philburf

PostSubject: Re: 1992 Speedo Sensor   Sun Oct 14, 2012 11:11 am

Hi there ,
Yes that looks exactly like the sensor I can see! Looks like mine is slightly different from yours. I'll try and post a photo for confirmation and for any future reference. Do you know if can simply unbolt and pull out or is there gear box oil to contend with?
Ps. My father checked at his local Toyota dealer and even they thought it was a cable! I guess this why i'm so confused! scratch
Back to top Go down
View user profile
chrisandhiace
Hiace Master
Hiace Master

PostSubject: Re: 1992 Speedo Sensor   Sun Oct 14, 2012 12:37 pm

I don't think you'll have lots of gear oil as the level will be low in the box.......just have a rag or some kitchen roll handy and don't worry.
If you can get a hand on it then it should come out very easily....just undo the 2? screws/bolts and then pull with a slight twist....
Back to top Go down
View user profile
philburf

PostSubject: Re: 1992 Speedo Sensor   Mon Jun 10, 2013 8:55 pm

Hello all,
Just a quick up date as its taken me quite a while to sort this. A combination of more important things but also not having a Scooby doo what the problem was!
So a useless auto electrician, reclaimed speedo sensor and bit of wire later and its all fixed.....not sure for how long though!
Firstly just to confirm our van has an electronic speedo and sensor. So after an Auto electrician confirmed wiring was all ok and diagnosed the problem as the sensor, I set about replacing it.
The sensor can easily be located at the back of the gearbox just before the drive shaft; it can easily be removed by undoing one bolt and with only the loss of a little transmission box oil. After a quote of 190 quid at Toyota spares I decided a reclaimed sensor was the way forward! Reclaimed ones are pretty rare but found out that Lucida's / Previa's use the same part and there was quite a few on EBay - I just swapped the drive gear as the ratio was different.
Imagine how gutted I was when still no speedo and my Auto electrician was not returning my calls!
I tested the speedo sensor with a multi meter and a power source and it seemed to be working so guessed it must be the speedo head.
To cut a long storey short, I removed the dash, removed the speedo cluster (this is actually quite an easy job), popped the glass of the cluster and the unscrewed the six screws in the centre which hold the speedo unit into the cluster. Once the speedo unit was out I could see there was some heat damage to the back of the PCB which looked pretty much exactly like the one in this thread. http://forum.ih8mud.com/80-series-tech/632688-94-speedometer-stopped-working-2.html (not sure what cased this but seems to be fairly common after a bit of searching on the net). Part of PCB was black instead of green but the copper wire under still seemed to be continuous but one area seemed to have burned right through the copper.
The fix Ė solder a 2cm length of 5amp wire (not sure of the correct rating I should have used Ė someone on another thread suggested telephone wire!) to the nearest two blobs of solder on the same circuit to bridge the gap.
Screw back together; bish, bash, bosh and jobs a good un!
Hopefully my repair will hold out for a good few years.
Didnít get any photos unfortunately but if any one needs any further info please let me know and Iíll try and help.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Cherpnef

Number of posts : 1
Home City : Wellington
Registration date : 2016-03-31

PostSubject: Re: 1992 Speedo Sensor   Thu Mar 31, 2016 8:41 am

Hey there same problem with my hiace s.c. Just wandering exactly where you added the new "wire bridge?" Did you solder a wire from the burnt blobs to the closest fresh blobs in same circuit???
Back to top Go down
View user profile
philburf

PostSubject: Re: 1992 Speedo Sensor   Mon Apr 04, 2016 9:21 pm

Hi there,
It's been a while since i did this and i no longer have my Hiace.
I seem to remember that it was just the wire embedded in the circuit board which was burnt through. it will be obvious (unless there is major burns) which one is damaged and which solder blobs to bridge from and to. The black solder blob may just need filing / cleaning up to make a good solder joint.
Hope this helps. Let me know how it goes and good luck.
Phil.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 1992 Speedo Sensor   

Back to top Go down

1992 Speedo Sensor
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1