Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum

Anything Toyota Hiace related

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  

Share | 

that bloody car hates me !

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
izzzzythedog
Not so new now
Not so new now

Number of posts : 69
Home City : midlands
Registration date : 2011-09-17

PostSubject: that bloody car hates me !   Thu Oct 11, 2012 2:18 am

starter issues , oh bugger

the vans never been much of a quick starter , the starter motor itself likes to turn over very slowly when its cold to the point ive got a HUGGGGGGE battery now rammed into the little hole to try to bang a few volts through it

until a few days ago when it simply wasnt having any of it , sooooo slowlyyyyyyy it simply couldnt start , the leads themselves were roasting hot to the point i have a 10mm bolt head now embossed on my finger

ok a fix then ,,,, off to the mechanic for a chat , he recons its the leads , i recon the starter itself ( why would it turn over ok when warm otherwise ? ) but then hes the man of the moment so a change of leads first , the result a burnt finger as the new leads also got toasty hot , ummm , just in case and on the off chance the 130 amp 6 month old battery cant summon up the courage to start i tried another new battery but no hope so its starter time

quick check on line and theres a serious amount of starters for hiaces and general 3.oL toyotas so im in trouble , google doesnt help and neither does ebays listing , so plan B , take the starter off and copy the number , cant go wrong ? wanna bet

half an hour was all it took to sus out what the hell i needed to do to get it off and have it in hand , from the engine bay it looks beyond a joke but the reality was it was easy , the covers dropped off without a moments trouble and the starter wasnt hard to remove at all except for its weight , i even got lucky in that i disconnected a wiring block that turned out to be for the starter itself , bonus , all this whilst lay on my back on gravel

ok so starters in hand and the numbers ........... 25-2444-p , no problems and ill have 1 in a jiffy yeah ? well no , the numbers straight away popped up an issue , thats for a 4runner , ok then check out the associated toyota number ,,,,, 28100-67020 or 28100-67060 , huston we have a problem mainly im finding listing for this car as 28100-67070 , will it fit ? buggered if i know

http://www.partsbase.net/part/els-252444
a linky to all the numbers of starter manufactors listed for this in case it helps anyone

so popped out and about to hunt a starter down based on reg number and chassis/engine type ( ikz-te ) , no-one could find one except blueprint toyota and the price was only 320 , jebus wept ,,,,, so ebay and i cant find one listed ,,,, so in the end i took to email and asked vrs listers if it might fit , 1 person took the bait and re-conned it would so for 112 ive taken the chance

its listed as on its way .... ill keep you all posted
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Clive
Hiace Master
Hiace Master

Number of posts : 1094
Home City : Bristol UK
Model and year : 2003 Range Rover 4.4 goes like a rocket and drinks like Oliver Reed!
Registration date : 2008-11-05

PostSubject: Re: that bloody car hates me !   Thu Oct 11, 2012 7:21 am

May only be the starter contacts, less than 20 on ebay. Bit late now I know, still you can resell the starter if it don't fit.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
izzzzythedog
Not so new now
Not so new now

PostSubject: Re: that bloody car hates me !   Thu Oct 11, 2012 9:54 pm

news

starter landed just 15 hrs after ordering , wow , so at 8 this morning i got my finger out

looking at the starters they are exact in every way except for the location of the solenoid wire , the s/motor i took off has a screw and 10 inch of wiring before a plug , the new starter just has the plug fitted and not the other side of the solenoid ,,,, so bung into the hole , wire in and your away yeah ? well no the wiring didnt reach

so in the end i made a loom out of some decent thickness of wire and bolted it up plus managed to get a female spade connecter on the end of this lot , bolted the lot up and got to hear my baby rour for the first time in a week , sounded bloody good

drove all day today without a moments issue so its a fix Very Happy

hi ya clive
yeah spotted the kits for 17 quid , i didnt want to take the gamble and as it happens i did the right thing , its near impossible to get the starter to turn over when you tug the bendix out so its a body issue rather than elec , i think its basically had it , its either full of gunk ( thats a worry but the bendix is clean enough so ? ) or a bearings gone oval stopping it turning properly , either way for 110 or so im happy with that
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Clive
Hiace Master
Hiace Master

Number of posts : 1094
Home City : Bristol UK
Model and year : 2003 Range Rover 4.4 goes like a rocket and drinks like Oliver Reed!
Registration date : 2008-11-05

PostSubject: Re: that bloody car hates me !   Fri Oct 12, 2012 8:57 am

Result!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
izzzzythedog
Not so new now
Not so new now

PostSubject: Re: that bloody car hates me !   Sat Oct 13, 2012 1:19 am

yep , and its a joy to have back , nothing like driving along in the beastie singing loudly to oneself , you forget how easy it is to drive
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: that bloody car hates me !   

Back to top Go down

that bloody car hates me !
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1