Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum

Anything Toyota Hiace related

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  

Share | 

3L thermostat gasket

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
tamarack
Been here a while
Been here a while

Number of posts : 100
Home City : Vancouver
Model and year : 92 Super Custom part time 4WD 2.8 3L auto
Registration date : 2010-04-21

PostSubject: 3L thermostat gasket   Sat Mar 23, 2013 8:32 am

got a new thermostat to put in. It comes with an o-ring gasket that fits around the top of the t-stat. the seal on the water outlet is done with a triangular gasket with silicone on both sides. A local mechanic who works on toyotas but has not worked on my van (lh107) says get a new triangular gasket and don't use silicone because it can gum up the t-stat. He also said the o-ring type gasket will blow the bi-valves. Any thoughts or experiences shared here would be most welcome.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Clive
Hiace Master
Hiace Master

Number of posts : 1094
Home City : Bristol UK
Model and year : 2003 Range Rover 4.4 goes like a rocket and drinks like Oliver Reed!
Registration date : 2008-11-05

PostSubject: Re: 3L thermostat gasket   Mon Mar 25, 2013 7:25 am

Right confused now, first it fits on the water inlet and second the O ring is the sealing gasket, no triangular one on any of the Toyota Diesel engines I've changed on on.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
simongd
Been here a while
Been here a while

Number of posts : 176
Home City : Knowsley, Liverpool
Model and year : LH100G 1992 2.4 EFi turbo
Registration date : 2010-01-28

PostSubject: Re: 3L thermostat gasket   Mon Mar 25, 2013 9:29 pm

When I changed thermostat I got a gasket from toyota. it was a thin metal sheet with that black film which seals once put through a heat cycle. there was no o-ring. infact, when I changed thermo there was an o-ring which i tried to use but ended up snapping the housing top where the bolt locates. toyota told me not to use it.

this was about two years ago and i've not looked back.

hope you get it sorted soon, you don't want that motor to overheat
Back to top Go down
View user profile
tamarack
Been here a while
Been here a while

Number of posts : 100
Home City : Vancouver
Model and year : 92 Super Custom part time 4WD 2.8 3L auto
Registration date : 2010-04-21

PostSubject: Re: 3L thermostat gasket   Tue Mar 26, 2013 2:53 pm

so I should contact toyota? Clive what is your take on this? (I meant to say water inlet not outlet Simon is your engine a 2.4 2L is the water outlet different? and is it possible that this metal gasket is a recent innovation and that the o-ring gasket is a thing of the past because of the experince you had. I notice when i tried to take the bolts of (there are two 12 mm nuts ans one 12 mm bolt) the bolt seemed like it was silicned in because the threads were stripped. 4 different choices is confusing.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Clive
Hiace Master
Hiace Master

Number of posts : 1094
Home City : Bristol UK
Model and year : 2003 Range Rover 4.4 goes like a rocket and drinks like Oliver Reed!
Registration date : 2008-11-05

PostSubject: Re: 3L thermostat gasket   Wed Mar 27, 2013 7:42 am

Like I say I have never seen anything other than the O ring. If there is a gasket I stand to be corrected. Just have a tube of silicon gaskethandy.
Tap a new thread and replace the bolt.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
chr15

Number of posts : 10
Home City : West Sussex UK
Model and year : Toyota Hiace Campervan part time 4WD
LH119
Engine. 3L (2779cc)
Diesel
Registration date : 2017-02-28

PostSubject: Re: 3L thermostat gasket   Tue Feb 28, 2017 4:16 pm

Hi, just joined the forum and saw this post.
Been looking into the parts required for a coolant change on my van and found this post helpful. Thanks.
My van also has the round/triangular thin metal gasket on the thermostat housing. I can just about see the melted black heat sealant on it.  Not sure if this gasket should be used in addition to the O-ring on the thermostat or not?  Sounds like it may not be needed? Anyone know for sure?  
Might also be worth getting the plastic Toyota radiator drain plug which has an O-ring on it.

Part nos. 90916-03099  Thermostat
                 16341-54040  Gasket for Thermostat housing
                  16417-75010  Radiator drain plug.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
GPW
Hiace Master
Hiace Master

Number of posts : 515
Home City : Cambridge, UK
Model and year : Model: KD-KZH100G-MRPGT
Year: 1996
Colour: 4K1
Trim: FN42

Registration date : 2016-07-16

PostSubject: Re: 3L thermostat gasket   Tue Feb 28, 2017 5:39 pm

Have you any photos?
If I was guessing (and I would be LOL) I'd look at it and decide which was the best solution in my mind.

My experience is that rubber seals tend to work, gaskets usually work, instant gasket is often a bad idea.
Where does the O-ring actually go, is it for decoration or does it fit into a groove and seal? If so - what's the gasket for?

BTW you may need to post a bit more to be able to display a photo.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
TwentyOneThirtyFive
Been here a while
Been here a while

Number of posts : 208
Home City : Hertfordshire, UK
Model and year : Super GL Camper (Vantech), 2.8D 4wd, 1995
Registration date : 2016-08-04

PostSubject: Re: 3L thermostat gasket   Tue Feb 28, 2017 6:04 pm

When I ordered a thermostat recently it came without any o-ring. I ordered the gasket which I'm pretty sure was just a metal gasket. Both genuine Toyota parts. Fitted fine, no leaks.

I didn't need to change the o-ring on the drain plug, but my radiator did leak after I'd flushed it through!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
chr15

LH119
Engine. 3L (2779cc)
Diesel

PostSubject: Re: 3L thermostat gasket   Wed Mar 01, 2017 5:42 pm

Was going to change the coolant as I wasn't sure when it was done last (only had van about 6 months). After a closer visual inspection and after testing the coolant using a multimeter it actually seems pretty good so am holding off a change for now.
Ordered the Toyota red coolant (Concentrate) part no. 0888980014 the Thermostat as above and the gasket for the thermostat housing. Also ordering the radiator drain plug as above.
The Thermostat doesn't appear to come with an O-ring so concluding that it's probably not needed however when I do the change i'll see if there's one then. Thinking the metal gasket probably replaced the thermostat O-ring which goes on the top of the thermostat. Wonder if the drain plug will come with the O-ring included? .Hopefully.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
chr15

LH119
Engine. 3L (2779cc)
Diesel

PostSubject: Re: 3L thermostat gasket   Thu Mar 16, 2017 6:40 pm

[quote="chr15"]Was going to change the coolant as I wasn't sure when it was done last (only had van about 6 months). After a closer visual inspection and after testing the coolant using a multimeter it actually seems pretty good so am holding off a change for now.
Ordered the Toyota red coolant (Concentrate) part no. 0888980014 the Thermostat as above and the gasket for the thermostat housing. Also ordering the radiator drain plug as above.  
The Thermostat doesn't appear to come with an O-ring so concluding that it's probably not needed however when I do the change i'll see if there's one then. Thinking the metal gasket probably replaced the thermostat O-ring which goes on the top of the thermostat. Wonder if the drain plug will come with the O-ring included? .Hopefully.

Ordered the Genuine Toyota Thermostat for my van part no. 90916-03099
When i first looked at it the top of the thermostat it looked like it was rusted but after reading online have found out that it's not rust but some sort of browny red colour coating. Google "Kuzeh coating" and you'll see. Was a relief to find that out.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 3L thermostat gasket   

Back to top Go down

3L thermostat gasket
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum  :: Hiace Mechanical Matters :: GREASE MONKEY !!! (sorry couldnt resist its a BF2142 thing)-
Jump to: