Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum

Anything Toyota Hiace related

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  

Share | 

Temperature in heavy traffic

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
leewestuk

Number of posts : 9
Home City : Reading, England
Model and year : 1994 Toyota Hiace "Cruising Cabin"
4x4 2.8D
Registration date : 2012-08-09

PostSubject: Temperature in heavy traffic   Fri Jun 07, 2013 9:11 am

Hi Everyone,

Wonder if someone can give me some advice.

I've had my Hiace "Cruising Cabin" - Auto 2.8 engined (engine code 3L) custom hiace now for around a year, I had coolant and transmission fluid leaks fixed last year and have done a lot of long trips in her with no issues.

It's my daily drive driving approximately 40 miles a day back and forth to work (20 miles each way) through sometimes heavy traffic, and the temp guage has never really gone above half.

However, yesterday, in some really heavy traffic, I was almost home and on a slope (stationary in traffic) and I notice the temp guage start to creep up to about 3/4. It didn't go anywhere near the red area.

Once I got on to a flat road and was moving again it dropped back down to half.

I was not running a/c. I've checked the coolant in the expansion tank and the level is up to full, I've run the engine with the cap off and there are no bubbles in the coolant. The electric cooling fan is coming on when it should do and generating a lot of cool air. I've checked the large top coolant hose coming off the engine and it is getting warm when up to temperature.... The air vents are warm when set to hot, and cold when set to cold...

Anything to worry about? Perhaps time for a rad flush or just to be expected in heavy traffic on a hill (the temp outside was around 22 degrees).

Any advice greatfully received!

Lee

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Clive
Hiace Master
Hiace Master

Number of posts : 1094
Home City : Bristol UK
Model and year : 2003 Range Rover 4.4 goes like a rocket and drinks like Oliver Reed!
Registration date : 2008-11-05

PostSubject: Re: Temperature in heavy traffic   Fri Jun 07, 2013 10:53 am

I would not worry about it until it happens again.
If it does turn rear and/or front heating on, this should be cool things down.
If it happens again I would look at replacement thermostat, maybe a new rad.
Flushing is good in seeing if there is any rust but the radiators on these vans can be deceptive, they flush through ok not disclosing that all it is is a direct route from inlet to outlet, the remaining 80% of the rad is clogged solid. Recore or replace as as any flushing agent just follows the easy route.
I have heard of a citric acid flush that works far better than any over the counter stuff.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
leewestuk

Number of posts : 9
Home City : Reading, England
Model and year : 1994 Toyota Hiace "Cruising Cabin"
4x4 2.8D
Registration date : 2012-08-09

PostSubject: Re: Temperature in heavy traffic   Sat Jun 08, 2013 6:51 pm

Clive wrote:
I would not worry about it until it happens again.
If it does turn rear and/or front heating on, this should be cool things down.
If it happens again I would look at replacement thermostat, maybe a new rad.
Flushing is good in seeing if there is any rust but the radiators on these vans can be deceptive, they flush through ok not disclosing that all it is is a direct route from inlet to outlet, the remaining 80% of the rad is clogged solid. Recore or replace as as any flushing agent just follows the easy route.
I have heard of a citric acid flush that works far better than any over the counter stuff.

Cheers Clive!

Think I've worked out what it was...

Ran it up to temp today with the passenger seat folded back and noticed its feeding back hot coolant past the radiator valve into the expansion bottle and overflowing...

Checked the radiator valve (after it had cooled down!) and its ruined, all clogged up with rust and not pressurising properly....

Swapped it with the one from my wife's FTO (interestingly the same type and pressure rating!) and ran it up to temp and no overflowing, no overheating either...

So as the water was not pressurised properly due to the faulty valve it was boiling at a lower temp!

I also used a laser temperature sensor to check the top and bottom hoses on the engine and the radiator valve assembly (to see if the thermostat was working) at that appears to open fine at the right temp, and I also checked the temperatures on the radiator... seems uniform all across it (slightly higher the further up you go.... so fingers crossed, I've sorted it!

Now just need to replace the wife's FTO radiator valve.... lol

Cheers for your advice Smile

Lee
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Clive
Hiace Master
Hiace Master

Number of posts : 1094
Home City : Bristol UK
Model and year : 2003 Range Rover 4.4 goes like a rocket and drinks like Oliver Reed!
Registration date : 2008-11-05

PostSubject: Re: Temperature in heavy traffic   Mon Jun 10, 2013 8:06 am

Oh yeah don't overlook the cheap fix, pressure cap 12 from Toyota. Fit and forget and give the wife hers back.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Temperature in heavy traffic   

Back to top Go down

Temperature in heavy traffic
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1