Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum

Anything Toyota Hiace related

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  

Share | 

fitting Tow bar

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
ionian

Number of posts : 7
Home City : Arakoom
Registration date : 2014-03-11

PostSubject: fitting Tow bar   Tue Mar 11, 2014 7:29 am

I have a 1994 super custom. I want to fit a tow bar but there does not seem to be the same fixing points as on a normal Hiace. Has anyone come up with this problem ? Is there a special tow bar I need ? If so is there a part number ? Any help would be most appreciated.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Clive
Hiace Master
Hiace Master

Number of posts : 1094
Home City : Bristol UK
Model and year : 2003 Range Rover 4.4 goes like a rocket and drinks like Oliver Reed!
Registration date : 2008-11-05

PostSubject: Re: fitting Tow bar   Tue Mar 11, 2014 9:48 pm

I had to drill holes in the chassis for mine, using a normal Hiace towbar.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
rubythursday
Not so new now
Not so new now

Number of posts : 37
Home City : York
Model and year : 1995 Super Custom 2.4 Petrol. Wellhouse Conversion
Registration date : 2014-01-05

PostSubject: Re: fitting Tow bar   Tue Mar 11, 2014 10:12 pm

Mine has a Watling bar fitted, they do one for the SC.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.tonysimons.me.uk
Ratty

Home City : Newcastle
Registration date : 2014-08-13

PostSubject: Re: fitting Tow bar   Wed Aug 13, 2014 11:05 am

I recently had a towbar fitted to my 1998 HSC by Rutherford Trailers, near Maitland NSW. The cost was $599 fitted.

I did this because I was concerned that if I installed one myself I would need to drill through the chassis and this might not only fail to comply with the current legislation but it might compromise the integrity and strength of the chassis. I need not have worried.

To explain fully what was done and to provide images I will need to wait until daylight tomorrow, it being dark now. So please be patient and I will explain all with images when I get a chance to take some additional images. Probably tomorrow.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Cloughy

Number of posts : 12
Home City : Brisbane
Registration date : 2014-08-24

PostSubject: Re: fitting Tow bar   Mon Aug 25, 2014 1:10 pm

I'm interested in installing one on my 94 4WD HSC. Not keen on dropping $600 though.

I'll eagerly wait on your explanation and thank you for the input.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ratty

PostSubject: Re: fitting Tow bar   Thu Aug 28, 2014 8:22 am

Cloughy,

Sorry I didn't follow up on my promise to upload instructions. I didn't think anyone was interested because the last post prior to mine was dated months earlier.

I would not have forked out the $600 either had I had more sense and more confidence that what I would have done was okay. Anyway, now I know.

I will keep my promise and upload some images and instructions over the next few days. I's raining here and has been for some time and I have no desire to lie on the wet grass under a dripping vehicle to take the images. But I will soon. Please be patient. Give me a few more days.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Cloughy

Number of posts : 12
Home City : Brisbane
Registration date : 2014-08-24

PostSubject: Re: fitting Tow bar   Thu Aug 28, 2014 8:52 am

No worries Ratty. It's raining here too and I have a van that needs work and pass the pits before I can worry about functional embellishments like a working stereo, tow bars and the like. Mines a 4wd too so it may need a bit of a drop depending on the trailer I set up.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ratty

PostSubject: Re: fitting Tow bar   Sat Sep 06, 2014 3:11 am

Okay, looking from the back of the vehicle, the right hand side where the exhaust pipe exits should not be an issue. I have looked at a number of vehicles and towbars and they all seem to be the same.  They all seem to use the same bolt holes and captured nuts and so the bar should simply bolt in to place without modification. Note however, that some Super Customs vehicles may have a hitching point for a rope bolted on to the side of the chassis and this will have to be removed but in doing so will provide the necessary bolts for the tow bar. This was certainly the case with my vehicle and the existing hitch can be seen in image 1.

The problem arises on the other side of the vehicle where a tow hook, welded to the side of the chassis (image 2), prevents the tow bar from being pushed up into place. To overcome this some modifications to the tow bar are needed and these will be explained in a moment.

Also, there should be two holes in the bottom of the chassis to enable the tow bar to be bolted vertically to the bottom of the chassis. But only the front hole is there.

So here are my suggestions.

Begin by temporarily removing the cover which protects the short hose running from the filler spout to the fuel tank. There are three small bolts. This is necessary to allow better access to the chassis.
Now, image 3 shows a bar installed on a Super Custom and what should be apparent is that the bar has no protrusions above the level of the bottom of the chassis so it can slip up inside the tow hook flange welded to the side of the chassis.

The second point to note is that from where the bar bolts to the bottom of the chassis, there is a flange or flat surface running downwards and through this the bar is bolted to the tow hook point welded to the chassis. In other words the end of the bar should look as though it has a piece of angle welded to it. This is represented in the illustration image 4.

Image 5 shows a Hayman Reese bar and image 6 shows my adulterations to the image representing one option for modifying the bar. The drawback with this approach is the arm of bar needs to be squeezed or sprung inwards about 0.5mm and this may make it difficult to fit the front bolt. But since this is only a small bolt I wouldn’t worry. I also found that one of the bolts for the reinstalled fuel pipe cover needs to be left out. But it has no apparent drawbacks.

The remaining task is to drill through the chassis to take the vertical mounting bolt at the back end of the bar support bracket. To aid in this I have included an image (Image 7) of the finished job as seen from the inside of the vehicle.

Before finishing this post, I want to recommend my next post which shows how to cope with a difficult situation where you can’t undo the captured nuts inside the chassis or where they do not exist. The purpose of this article is to show how the load is supported on the chassis.

If you have further problems write to ozzieseller@gmail.com

IMAGES SHOULD BE FOUND HERE.

http://www.4shared.com/download/8CkuCIjCba/Super_Custom_Forum_-_Towbar_1.jpg?lgfp=3000

Download link: http://www.4shared.com/photo/8CkuCIjCba/Super_Custom_Forum_-_Towbar_1.html

If you can't see them there, then contact me..
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: fitting Tow bar   

Back to top Go down

fitting Tow bar
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1