Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum

Anything Toyota Hiace related

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  

Share | 

Newbie 1996 Vantech LWB radiator filling

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
joyfull

Number of posts : 15
Home City : Plymouth
Model and year : 1996 Hiace Vantech High Top
Registration date : 2014-03-13

PostSubject: Newbie 1996 Vantech LWB radiator filling   Thu Mar 13, 2014 6:20 pm

I have just bought a 1996 Vantech Hiace hi-top camper with diesel 2.8 litre, autobox. Enjoying so far with first overnight last night.

It does not have a handbook, apart from a generic handbook with little detail.

1) How do you check the levels and fill the radiator? I found a small exterior black plastic panel on the RH drivers side door and a panel on the inside in the pillar under the seatbelt attachment. But cant see how you check the level or fill.

2) There are two oil dipsticks for the engine, a short yellow one on top of the engine and a longer orange one heading lower down. Is the orange one for the gearbox?

3) There is a distinct graunchy sound from the front steering/wheels on maximium lock when turning slowly to park. Is this anything to worrry about. The previous owner said 'it has always doen that'.

4) When I turn off the engine there is a quite a big clunk/knock as the engine comes to a halt, again the previous owner said it always does this.

Any pointers from Hiace owners much appreciated.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Clive
Hiace Master
Hiace Master

Number of posts : 1094
Home City : Bristol UK
Model and year : 2003 Range Rover 4.4 goes like a rocket and drinks like Oliver Reed!
Registration date : 2008-11-05

PostSubject: Re: Newbie 1996 Vantech LWB radiator filling   Fri Mar 14, 2014 10:44 pm

Fill the rad under the engine cover (raise passenger seat), also make sure the overflow tank is to the correct level.
Brake fluid inside drivers door end of dash.
Yes red one gearbox dip stick, check with the engine up to temp and running.
Steering may do that on full lock, look for the end stops may be missing rubber covers, else don't turn it that far.
Engine stopping clunk probably exhaust banging somewhere, nothing to worry about maybe due to worn exhaust and or engine mounts.
Front washer filler in passenger door step.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
MalL
Not so new now
Not so new now

Number of posts : 79
Home City : Brisbane
Model and year : LH119 1991
Registration date : 2010-11-27

PostSubject: Re: Newbie 1996 Vantech LWB radiator filling   Mon Mar 17, 2014 1:31 am

When I first got mine, with the 2.8l diesel, it made the solid clunk when switching off. To me it seemed like pre-ignition. It also struggled to get much above 100km/h. The vehicle is a Japanese import. After a few weeks of highway driving at best attainable speed it freed up, able to do 115, and the clunk stopped. I assume it was a bit carboned up from short, slow Japanese trips. I also gave it a dose of fuel conditioner/cleaner which I think helped.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Newbie 1996 Vantech LWB radiator filling   

Back to top Go down

Newbie 1996 Vantech LWB radiator filling
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1