Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum

Anything Toyota Hiace related

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  

Share | 

Downpipe- parts quality?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
WGWarburton
Been here a while
Been here a while

Number of posts : 173
Home City : Central Scotland
Model and year : 94 2.8 Noppo HiTop Super-Long
Registration date : 2012-02-07

PostSubject: Downpipe- parts quality?   Tue Apr 22, 2014 10:22 am

Hi,
The downpipe and flexi-joint section of my exhaust failed while I was away last week. I was able to botch up a repair with the help of a garage in the Lakes where the guys were kind enough to sell me a repair-clamp, help with modifying it to fit and lend me tools to put it on, despite it being near 5pm!

Looking at replacement parts- there seem to be two different options (at least on eBay)- Some sellers are listing part "TOY2006" for 70-80 and a few others are listing "TY363" for 40-50. I'm pretty sure TY363 is an aftermarket part (TIMax? Bosal) but am wondering whether the more expensive ones are actually a better quality one (or just the same part priced higher!!). At least one supplier claims a two year warranty on the more expensive option, though whether it would be practical to get them to honour it is another question...

Anyone know? Any experience with using these parts? Would it be worth going to Toyota, do you think? (they were massively more expensive for the tailpipe section but that's a special order part for a super-long, whereas the downpipe seems to be identical to the 2.4 litre engine part, which was a UK supply vehicle).

Thanks for your thoughts!

Cheers,
W.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
WGWarburton
Been here a while
Been here a while

PostSubject: Re: Downpipe- parts quality?   Tue Apr 22, 2014 1:32 pm

Hi again,
Update- rang local Toyota dealer- they say 260...!

Cheers,
W.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Clive
Hiace Master
Hiace Master

Number of posts : 1094
Home City : Bristol UK
Model and year : 2003 Range Rover 4.4 goes like a rocket and drinks like Oliver Reed!
Registration date : 2008-11-05

PostSubject: Re: Downpipe- parts quality?   Tue Apr 22, 2014 5:13 pm

Down pipe lasts a long time, the flexi joint is the weak point but that can be replaced. As long as it fits I'd go for cheapest.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
WGWarburton
Been here a while
Been here a while

PostSubject: Re: Downpipe- parts quality?   Wed Apr 23, 2014 11:48 am

Clive wrote:
Down pipe lasts a long time, the flexi joint is the weak point but that can be replaced. As long as it fits I'd go for cheapest.

Hmm, interesting- how is the flexi joint replaced? They are part of the same component in the parts diagrams and I can't see how they would be seperated.

Is this a seperate part and cut-and-connect?

Cheers,
W.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Clive
Hiace Master
Hiace Master

Model and year : 2003 Range Rover 4.4 goes like a rocket and drinks like Oliver Reed!

PostSubject: Re: Downpipe- parts quality?   Wed Apr 23, 2014 3:34 pm

Flex pipes freely available ebay and exhaust builders, just cut the old one out and sleeve fit the new one - even weld it on if you have the kit.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
WGWarburton
Been here a while
Been here a while

PostSubject: Re: Downpipe- parts quality?   Wed Jul 02, 2014 10:27 am

Hi again,
Anyone know if there should be a support for the downpipe? My van didn't come with one but the replacement came with a collar that ought to attach to the engine/gearbox somewhere... I suspect it is the absence of this that's caused cracked welds/pipes...

Where should it attach to, please?

Cheers,
W.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Clive
Hiace Master
Hiace Master

PostSubject: Re: Downpipe- parts quality?   Wed Jul 02, 2014 9:36 pm

Never had one on mine. A couple of Townace had one bolted to the bell housing using the bell housing bolts.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
WGWarburton
Been here a while
Been here a while

PostSubject: Re: Downpipe- parts quality?   Thu Jul 03, 2014 11:36 am

Clive wrote:
Never had one on mine. A couple of Townace had one bolted to the bell housing using the bell housing bolts.

Hmm, interesting. Thanks for that info, Clive!

It looks from the parts diagrams as though that's what the brackets are designed to do. Maybe they were only fitted on some models or for for certain markets (rougher roads anticipated?).

The garage that's been helping with exhaust fitting could maybe fabricate something similar. I'll have a think and maybe chat to them. I did support the broken pipe with some metal "cable-ties" when it snapped through earlier in the year, so maybe the easiest thing to do would be to use some more of those to take the weight again.

Cheers,
W.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Downpipe- parts quality?   

Back to top Go down

Downpipe- parts quality?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1