Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum

Anything Toyota Hiace related

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  

Share | 

2L-TE diesel No revs in Reverse or Drive

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
jagged1
Not so new now
Not so new now

Number of posts : 31
Home City : Cabangan, Philippines
Registration date : 2014-03-14

PostSubject: 2L-TE diesel No revs in Reverse or Drive   Thu Mar 12, 2015 6:11 am

1997 Hiace SC. Starts right up, idles fine, revs right up in Park or Neutral, nothing above an idle in reverse or drive. Any clues?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
jagged1
Not so new now
Not so new now

PostSubject: Re: 2L-TE diesel No revs in Reverse or Drive   Thu Mar 12, 2015 2:47 pm

This really sucks! The internet is so lousy here in the Philippines, that it could take all day just to post a message. I really need some answers here. I need this van! It ran fine last year, but after that lousy butcher touched it, I think he sabotaged it figuring on another foreigner sucker will fill his pockets?? I replaced the ECU, and it starts and runs fine. Is there a difference between an ECU for a standard tranny and automatic? I'm at my whits end.................please reply!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Clive
Hiace Master
Hiace Master

Number of posts : 1094
Home City : Bristol UK
Model and year : 2003 Range Rover 4.4 goes like a rocket and drinks like Oliver Reed!
Registration date : 2008-11-05

PostSubject: Re: 2L-TE diesel No revs in Reverse or Drive   Thu Mar 12, 2015 5:41 pm

Fuel starvation, either a blockage or an air leak.
Try a direct feed of clean fuel to the fuel pump to confirm then work your way back down the fuel line.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
jagged1
Not so new now
Not so new now

PostSubject: Re: 2L-TE diesel No revs in Reverse or Drive   Fri Mar 13, 2015 12:18 pm

Thank you for your answer Clive! Where's the pump? Is it in the tank, electric? I get lots of fuel if I disconnect the out line from the filter housing and press the plunger. I also had lots of fuel leaking out of 3 of my injector lines, because someone loosened the nuts at their unions. Diesel all over the place!!! Tightened them, unfortunately same problem.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Clive
Hiace Master
Hiace Master

Model and year : 2003 Range Rover 4.4 goes like a rocket and drinks like Oliver Reed!

PostSubject: Re: 2L-TE diesel No revs in Reverse or Drive   Sat Mar 14, 2015 9:05 am

The pump is where the injector lines come from, there is no fuel pump in the tank.

Fuel from the primer sounds good, fuel at the injectors also good, same with the 4th one?

Back to air leak or fuel line blockage between the filter and the pump, yep there it is.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
jagged1
Not so new now
Not so new now

PostSubject: Re: 2L-TE diesel No revs in Reverse or Drive   Sun Mar 15, 2015 10:30 am

Well I replaced the fuel line between the filter and the pump, and put new hose clamps on it. Started it up and it seemed to work ok in reverse and drive. Took it for a drive and it seemed fine, a bit sluggish, but at least it would accelerate. Unfortunately when I went to return home, it started doing it again, so there it sits on the side of the road. My nephew came out with some tools and extra hose clamps, so I doubled up on the clamps, but we ran the battery down trying to start it. We brought the battery home to charge, so will try again later.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
jagged1
Not so new now
Not so new now

PostSubject: Re: 2L-TE diesel No revs in Reverse or Drive   Sun Mar 15, 2015 12:17 pm

Recharged battery started right up, drove it home no problems. Started doing the same thing the minute we tried to back it in to my garage. My bro-inlaw tells me the butcher mechanic switched the positive and ngative wires going to the injectors??? He said it doesn't make any difference which way they are?? Any comments on that?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
jagged1
Not so new now
Not so new now

PostSubject: Re: 2L-TE diesel No revs in Reverse or Drive   Sun Mar 15, 2015 3:18 pm

11:15 PM here and 30C how is it in GB? Internet still sucks so badly. I can sit here and send and reload till the Roosters come home, unfortunately that's a bigger problem with me. I'M SURROUNDED BY THE damn bongo owners!!!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
jagged1
Not so new now
Not so new now

PostSubject: Re: 2L-TE diesel No revs in Reverse or Drive   Sun Mar 15, 2015 3:41 pm

surrounded by roosters and dogs.................that's the Philippines!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
jagged1
Not so new now
Not so new now

PostSubject: Re: 2L-TE diesel No revs in Reverse or Drive   Tue Mar 17, 2015 10:00 am

Today I replaced the line from the steel tank line to the filter, the filter, and the line to the pump, all with double clamps. Same result, this is getting really frustrating! All the steel lines look good, no rust anywhere. Why would it work sometimes, and then not work?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
jagged1
Not so new now
Not so new now

PostSubject: Re: 2L-TE diesel No revs in Reverse or Drive   Tue Mar 17, 2015 4:08 pm

Clive...........where are you Clive?? The only person that seems to give a sh#*t!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
WGWarburton
Been here a while
Been here a while

Number of posts : 171
Home City : Central Scotland
Model and year : 94 2.8 Noppo HiTop Super-Long
Registration date : 2012-02-07

PostSubject: Re: 2L-TE diesel No revs in Reverse or Drive   Tue Mar 17, 2015 9:17 pm

I would help if I could... sorry but I know less than you do!

Ask me about leisure electrics or batteries and I might be able to help.... Same with tyres!

Good luck and please tell us what was done to fix it when you get it sorted!

Cheers,
W.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Clive
Hiace Master
Hiace Master

PostSubject: Re: 2L-TE diesel No revs in Reverse or Drive   Wed Mar 18, 2015 3:25 pm

Try a direct feed from a fuel can to the pump, them work you way back wards to the tank.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
jagged1
Not so new now
Not so new now

PostSubject: Re: 2L-TE diesel No revs in Reverse or Drive   Sat Mar 21, 2015 10:26 am

Well that solved that problem. There isn't anywhere here in the boonies of Central Luzon to get the things you would need to make a simple fuel feed can. I ended up at my nephews place and he found a 5/16" line adapter, but unfortunately it had a 18mm x 1.5 thread on it (spark plug)? Luckily it was close enough to the size of a 3/8npt thread, that I was able to cut it to that.I then took a plastic 1 litre sprite bottle and drilled and tapped a 3/8npt hole in the bottom, screwed in the new fitting and voila! a fuel can. This was then attached to the pump, with a dump line attached to the filter, so I could fuel the can. Started her up and guess what??.................No bloody change!
Now I know it's not a fuel feed problem, so what now?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Clive
Hiace Master
Hiace Master

PostSubject: Re: 2L-TE diesel No revs in Reverse or Drive   Sat Mar 21, 2015 11:26 pm

ECU ?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
jagged1
Not so new now
Not so new now

PostSubject: Re: 2L-TE diesel No revs in Reverse or Drive   Mon Mar 23, 2015 11:41 am

[quote="Clive"]ECU ?[/quote

Obviously it's probably the used ECU. Thanx for all the replies. My nephew is an electronics wizard, he repairs TV's,Stereos, anything like that. Could somebody tell me where to start looking in the ECU for the acceleration control?

Back to top Go down
View user profile
jagged1
Not so new now
Not so new now

PostSubject: Re: 2L-TE diesel No revs in Reverse or Drive   Fri Apr 17, 2015 10:39 am

ECU repaired finally. Had to wait on a transistor, that couldn't be found here, had to get it from China! While we were waiting another mechanic that my bro in-law knew came and had a go at it. He said that the head gasket had been replaced recently, so maybe the mechanic didn't put the timing belt on correctly and it was out of time by 1 tooth. He climbed right in and stripped the front off it and lined everything up correctly, test ran it many times to fine tune it, it seemed to rev no problem and sounded good. Put it all back together and unfortunately same problem!
Well I put the rebuilt ECU in today, turned the key and it fired right up. It wouldn't even start with this ECU before. Put it in drive and varoom off we go!!! Hallelujah!
Unfortunately, now it's got this god awful knocking sound when you rev it up. Could the timing be too far advanced now? How do you reset that?? I've got one week left here in the Philippines, this van has ruined most of the plans we had to do while we were here.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
jagged1
Not so new now
Not so new now

PostSubject: Re: 2L-TE diesel No revs in Reverse or Drive   Sat Apr 18, 2015 12:20 pm

Finally fixed it. I switched the 2 wires going to the top of the pump and when I started it, the knocking sound was gone. I think the last mechanic that worked on it was pulling a scam to get a callback to squeeze a few more pesos out of me. We drove it around today with no problems. Tomorrow it's going to be engine and rad flush, new coolant with 50/50 anti-freeze, water. They mostly only use straight water here..Yuck! Where is the block drain plug?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Clive
Hiace Master
Hiace Master

PostSubject: Re: 2L-TE diesel No revs in Reverse or Drive   Sun Apr 19, 2015 10:57 am

I just pop the lower radiator hose off and remove the thermostat for a flush.
Should not use straight water as this does not have any lubricant in it and promotes metal corrosion.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 2L-TE diesel No revs in Reverse or Drive   

Back to top Go down

2L-TE diesel No revs in Reverse or Drive
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1