Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum

Anything Toyota Hiace related

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  

Share | 

Problem with van pulling to the left / odd handling issue

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
jimmyjazz1975

Number of posts : 3
Home City : London
Registration date : 2015-07-05

PostSubject: Problem with van pulling to the left / odd handling issue   Sun Jul 05, 2015 4:37 pm

Hi,

I just bought a 1997 HiAce super custom camper van, it's all lovely except for two things:

1. The handling / steering seems very wooly
2. It's started pulling to the left.

The handling seems really disconnected from the road, and I feel like I'm constantly having to adjust the steering to keep it going in a straight line. Also if I let go of the wheel, it has a definite drift to the left which is disconcerting.

Can anyone suggest what I can do to deal with the issues? I did change the tyre pressure so the front tyres are at 34psi, not sure about the rear - could it be a tyre pressure issue?

Any thoughts appreciated,
J

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Clive

Number of posts : 1094
Home City : Bristol UK
Model and year : 2003 Range Rover 4.4 goes like a rocket and drinks like Oliver Reed!
Registration date : 2008-11-05

PostSubject: Re: Problem with van pulling to the left / odd handling issue   Sun Jul 05, 2015 7:19 pm

Get the steering joints checked for wear/damage and if all ok get the tracking checked first.

Are the tyres a matched pair?

I would think you need more pressure.

If all good so far it may be a wheel bearing or sticking brake both of which the check of steering should highlight. Bearing will have some noise, brake will give you a very hot to touch wheel!

Back to top Go down
View user profile

Problem with van pulling to the left / odd handling issue
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1