Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum

Anything Toyota Hiace related

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  

Share | 

Yet another 1KZ head problem - tests and observations

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
grimpanda

Number of posts : 22
Home City : East Gippsland, VIC
Registration date : 2013-03-18

PostSubject: Yet another 1KZ head problem - tests and observations   Tue Oct 06, 2015 2:45 am

Howdy all.

I recently purchased a '95 Super Custom AWD at a discounted price because it wouldn't start. The problem turned out to leaky ECU caps, and very cheap to fix (see this thread

After taking it for a few decent drives I noticed that it was consuming coolant at an alarming rate - about 1L per 100km. I checked and couldn't find any external leaks. The overflow reservoir would always be empty, and there was no sign of it overflowing and spitting it out (as was the case on my last Super Custom... also a cracked head)

I also had a couple of instances where the motor would be hard to start or even hydrolock when cold - this was worst when the car had been for a decent run and then allowed to fully cool (and even worse when overnight temperatures were very low).

These symptoms pointed to an exhaust-water leak, so I started doing some tests and making observations.

- Tiny bubbles visible in coolant - YES
When started from cold with the radiator cap off, coolant gushes out when given a bit of stick (about 2000rpm creates a steady overflow of coolant). When the motor is hot, white frothy foam forms on the top surface, and tiny champagne-like bubbles are visible.

- "Tee Kay Head Chek" (combustion gases in coolant) - NO
This test came up negative... I am pretty much ready to throw this thing out now. I've read mixed reports that it doesn't work for diesels, or that only the 'new' testing fluid will work - I purchased this kit less than a year ago from a major auto parts retailer. It also failed to give a positive result on another 1KZ-TE that almost certainly has an exhaust to water leak...

- Compression figures were OK (car has done ~160k). Definitely within acceptable range for all cylinders, with a spread of only 25psi across all four cylinders. Workshop manual specifies a new motor should have ~440psi, with a minimum of 284psi (wow...), and max spread of 71psi.

Compression was tested through the glow-plug holes, and done cold due to the time taken to remove all the junk in the way, which I understand gives a lower reading than when the motor is hot.

Cyl 1: 405psi
Cyl 2: 395psi
Cyl 3: 380psi
Cyl 4: 380psi

Glow plug on cylinder 3 (3rd from left) was looking a bit sus. Starting to build a bit of a story...

Next I pressure-tested the cooling system. I took an old radiator cap, drilled out the middle and silver-soldered in a schrader bicycle valve. I then blocked off the overflow reservoir line, and pressurised the system and let it sit for 30 mins. This was done with the glow plugs out.

When I went to turn the motor over (with fuel solenoid disabled), a jet of coolant came blasting out of cylinder no 3... see the video below:

Video of coolant being ejected out of cyl 3

So there's my culprit. Next I'll be pulling the head off to see whether it's the gasket (hopefully) or a severely cracked head...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Clive

Number of posts : 1094
Home City : Bristol UK
Model and year : 2003 Range Rover 4.4 goes like a rocket and drinks like Oliver Reed!
Registration date : 2008-11-05

PostSubject: Re: Yet another 1KZ head problem - tests and observations   Sun Oct 11, 2015 3:03 pm

I'd put money on it being a cracked head
Back to top Go down
View user profile
grimpanda

PostSubject: Re: Yet another 1KZ head problem - tests and observations   Mon Oct 12, 2015 5:20 am

I have a sinking feeling that you might be right Clive. I've read that the gaskets almost never fail, on account of being a multi-ply steel construction.

After pulling the intake manifold off I could actually see bright green droplets of coolant when shining a torch into the No 2 & 3 cylinder intakes...

Does anyone know if the heads on the Super Customs are the short or long valve version?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Clive

Model and year : 2003 Range Rover 4.4 goes like a rocket and drinks like Oliver Reed!

PostSubject: Re: Yet another 1KZ head problem - tests and observations   Mon Nov 09, 2015 5:42 pm

Did not know there was a choice?

Fixed it yet?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
grimpanda

PostSubject: Re: Yet another 1KZ head problem - tests and observations   Mon Nov 09, 2015 11:08 pm

Yep, all sorted now. Bought a new chinese-cast head and plonked it on. Put in a new water pump, thermostat and flushed the radiator while I was in there. Also installed a water temp gauge and EGT gauge so I can keep an eye on things. Running great so far.

And yes, the 1KZ heads come as a long or short version to suit a valve length of either 103.5mm (short) or 104.4mm (long).

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Clive

PostSubject: Re: Yet another 1KZ head problem - tests and observations   Tue Nov 10, 2015 6:01 pm

Learn something new every day.
Glad you are sorted.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Yet another 1KZ head problem - tests and observations   Today at 1:49 pm

Back to top Go down

Yet another 1KZ head problem - tests and observations
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1