Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum

Anything Toyota Hiace related

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  

Share | 

Clunk/thud in transmission

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
wobbly3

Number of posts : 2
Home City : Reading UK
Registration date : 2016-02-08

PostSubject: Clunk/thud in transmission   Mon Feb 08, 2016 2:58 pm

Hi from a newbie,

I have a 1998 Hiace Powervan 2.4D that has developed a heavy clunk/thud noise whenever I release the clutch pedal, the problem can also be felt through the seat, pedals, floor and body. It happens when changing up through the gears and is noticeable at any driving style except very gentle. At first I thought it might be a propshaft joint but I seem to remember (from the dim and distant past) that a worn prop joint also causes excess vibration and there is none out of the ordinary.

The problem is also noticeable if I press and release the throttle pedal repeatedly several times in quick succession, however, I've only done this a couple of times just to prove it happens. The van has done about 87K miles so its hardly run in (tongue-in-cheek). The problem only appears to have started fairly recently although having said that the van hasn't been used very much in the last 5 years or so (perhaps a couple of times a month doing 5000 or 6000 miles in that time).

Can anyone suggest what the problem might be? Any help would be much appreciated.

Cheers.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
MalL
Not so new now
Not so new now

Number of posts : 76
Home City : Brisbane
Model and year : LH119 1991
Registration date : 2010-11-27

PostSubject: Re: Clunk/thud in transmission   Mon Feb 08, 2016 10:34 pm

I wouldn't altogether discount it being a tailshaft universal joint. A number of years ago I owned a Holden Jackaroo (Isuzu Trooper) which developed an intermittent, and not severe, vibration. The local dealer said it was just engine wear and nothing significant. Not satisfied with that I took it to RACQ who discovered that a universal joint was so badly worn that they wouldn't allow me to drive out of their workshop. I did, but only to the dealer straight across the road.
My point is that the vibration was minimal compared to a similar problem I'd had in an earlier vehicle so I didn't recognise the cause.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Hiace4wd
Im not old...just experienced
Im not old...just experienced

Number of posts : 395
Home City : Netherlands
Model and year : 1994 Toyota Hiace 4x4 DIY camper
Registration date : 2016-02-01

PostSubject: Re: Clunk/thud in transmission   Tue Feb 09, 2016 8:53 am

Put your van's transmission in neutral / free, and then try to move the propshaft in both directions. With both wheels on the ground, there shouldn't be much play, and there should not be much sound.
If you notice something it could be in the shaft itself (splines), in the joints as mentioned, but also inside the differential.

About the repeated throttleing and releasing, if this also causes the effect/sound when your stationary, with transmission in neutral/free (or clutch pressed), then you should check all enginemounts and gearbox mounts.

If it is none of the above, and you cannot reproduce the sound while being stationary, then you should check suspension.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
wobbly3

Number of posts : 2
Home City : Reading UK
Registration date : 2016-02-08

PostSubject: Re: Clunk/thud in transmission   Tue Feb 16, 2016 1:12 pm

Looks like the problem is a worn rubber bush in the diff stabilizer arm. Transmission repair man says diff is worn but not excessively. I'll try and replace the bush/arm and see if that solves the issue.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Clunk/thud in transmission   

Back to top Go down

Clunk/thud in transmission
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1