Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum

Anything Toyota Hiace related

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  

Share | 

Removing the Super Custom's inset back lights/lamps.

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
GPW
Hiace Master
Hiace Master

Number of posts : 486
Home City : Cambridge, UK
Model and year : Model: KD-KZH100G-MRPGT
Year: 1996
Colour: 4K1
Trim: FN42

Registration date : 2016-07-16

PostSubject: Removing the Super Custom's inset back lights/lamps.   Sun Aug 21, 2016 6:47 pm

A new guide to how to actually remove these.

The internet has no resource on this that I could find, so I'm posting a how-to here.
The reasons I wanted them off are:

1) I want to use one reversing lamp as a rear fog lamp (UK law), with a cool red LED 7.5W bulb.
2) I wanted to put cool LED lamps in the other places.

Note - you _cannot_ remove the centre chrome work for the license/reg plate first - these lamps have to come off first.

Ok, so contrary to what other people say, each lamp comes of with a single 10mm nut, accessible without disturbing the door membrane. That's right - one nut, and these are off.

The nut is just below the membrane, accessible under a black sticky disk. Look at PIC 2 carefully, on the left, toward the bottom - that's where it is.

Having undone that of course the lamp is still 'stuck'. You will need some masking tape, and a pair of trim removal pliers, these are held like scissors and act like pliers in reverse - you fit them into a gap, squeeze and it forces the gap open.

Using these, you have two tasks at the bottom edge of the lamp:

1) Starting from the left, slowly ease the gap at the bottom a little bigger, the foam will need a while to slowly release it's grip between lamp and door. Don't get carried away - see 2.
2) At the bottom to the right, PIC 2 - note a round black disk right at the edge next to the lower reflector at the edge of the door. That's a plastic socket for the ball joint (PIC 3 shiny item top-right) that holds the lamp on the side. With your trim pliers pressure that patiently and it will pop out.

Then you need to hinge the whole lamp assembly upwards to around 45 degrees to release the top edge, which is help there with the two molded plastic fingers (PIC 3 bottom), while helping the wires with your other hand.

The connector is non-friendly and you will need a small screwdriver to push the tab in and get the plug started on its way out.

And that's it - job done.

BTW to remove the license plate holder, a Philips 3 head fits the two screws at the top.

Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
paddlez

Number of posts : 2
Home City : Tauranga, NZ
Registration date : 2016-10-31

PostSubject: removing rear lenses on rear door.   Mon Oct 31, 2016 6:32 am

Thanks, worked a treat and no damage!
paddlez.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

Removing the Super Custom's inset back lights/lamps.
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1