Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum

Anything Toyota Hiace related

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  

Share | 

Lowering amount on the front and back

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3
AuthorMessage
GPW
Hiace Master
Hiace Master

Number of posts : 508
Home City : Cambridge, UK
Model and year : Model: KD-KZH100G-MRPGT
Year: 1996
Colour: 4K1
Trim: FN42

Registration date : 2016-07-16

PostSubject: Re: Lowering amount on the front and back    Sat Oct 28, 2017 7:19 pm

Hmm - are RAV4 springs that expensive? 38 a pair here:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-CD-AUTOPARTS-REAR-COIL-SPRINGS-BAGGED-PAIR-TOYOTA-RAV-4-MK2-2000-2005/252953901833?fits=Model%3ARAV+4&hash=item3ae53a3b09:g:VB8AAOSwcdRY91or

You'll need to measure them, but at that price if they were the right diameter I'd probably just buy them to try. If you can get an old spring out of the HiAce then I'd go to a place that stocks RAV4 springs and compare them on the bench, you'll soon see if they are a plausible alternate just by laying them out side by side.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
mickB
Been here a while
Been here a while

Number of posts : 162
Home City : Coventry
Model and year : 1992 SC 2.4TD
Registration date : 2016-07-06

PostSubject: Re: Lowering amount on the front and back    Sat Oct 28, 2017 7:51 pm

every rav4 I searched gave me a lot more per spring Shocked must be searching wrong lol
trouble is I don't want to get some a they be no good just to get a baseline on rav4, I've got my baseline on the Hiace ones, I'm considering a one off pair made as there seems to be a few spring companies around that will do a set
Back to top Go down
View user profile
GPW
Hiace Master
Hiace Master

PostSubject: Re: Lowering amount on the front and back    Sat Oct 28, 2017 8:19 pm

Agreed, no one wants to buy useless springs, although they are cheap for a try and can be sold on.

I'd get the good/uncut back spring out and measure the diameter, length and thickness of the steel, then head to a place with a few RAV4 springs and compare them.

Then choose one that identical diameter & thickness but slightly shorter and use that, e.g one about 50mm longer at free length will be under 25mm on the van I reckon.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
mickB
Been here a while
Been here a while

PostSubject: Re: Lowering amount on the front and back    Sun Nov 05, 2017 3:49 pm

Rear end is done eventually, don't ask, should have cut more spring out but that's for another day, lenso alloys on rear to with 225/50 16 tyres, got to wind some more out of the front torsion bars to drop a little more and switch tyres to new alloys and suspension done, next is the leisure battery job,
Now, how can I host photos as photo bucket charge the earth too
Back to top Go down
View user profile
GPW
Hiace Master
Hiace Master

PostSubject: Re: Lowering amount on the front and back    Sun Nov 05, 2017 5:18 pm

Sounds good!!

Put photos here for free:
http://postimages.org/
Back to top Go down
View user profile
mickB
Been here a while
Been here a while

PostSubject: Re: Lowering amount on the front and back    Sun Nov 05, 2017 7:20 pm

Cheers for that GPW
Back to top Go down
View user profile
GPW
Hiace Master
Hiace Master

PostSubject: Re: Lowering amount on the front and back    Sun Nov 05, 2017 7:59 pm

Height looks perfect to me.
To slam it 'properly' you end up running on the bump stops, no use to anyone Smile

Did you add the window stickers or are they original?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
mickB
Been here a while
Been here a while

PostSubject: Re: Lowering amount on the front and back    Sun Nov 05, 2017 8:12 pm

Window stickers are all my idea, might take some off, bit too much maybe, I do wish I'd taken another half coil out though, just to loose that gap I still have, bump stop is about 25mm from the axle but they are easy enough to cut down
Back to top Go down
View user profile
GPW
Hiace Master
Hiace Master

PostSubject: Re: Lowering amount on the front and back    Sun Nov 05, 2017 10:34 pm

I quite like the stickers, some looked japanese so I wondered if they came with it!

25mm to the bumpstop (unloaded?) is not great - how does it drive?
Mine have about 5mm and it's not enough, I'll probably put 20mm solid rubber pads under the springs.

What you may find is that bigger diameter wheels and tyres fill out the arches better, IIRC there was a car (Landrover discovery?!?) that had compatible wheels but I can't quite recall what it was.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
mickB
Been here a while
Been here a while

PostSubject: Re: Lowering amount on the front and back    Mon Nov 13, 2017 3:49 pm

Back to top Go down
View user profile
GPW
Hiace Master
Hiace Master

PostSubject: Re: Lowering amount on the front and back    Mon Nov 13, 2017 4:02 pm

Very nice Mick, just need a big shiny tailpipe now!

As it's coming up to salty road time you may wish to consider waxoyling inside the panels and doors if it's not been done. Not sure how to get it to flow in this weather but it's worth doing as these JDM vans are not waxed like the UK spec stuff is.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
mickB
Been here a while
Been here a while

PostSubject: Re: Lowering amount on the front and back    Wed Nov 15, 2017 7:32 am

I've already splodged a load of underseal under it, covered most of the floor, the bottoms of the front doors are shot so will be a body project for next year, need to get the leisure battery install done now then have a better side exit exhaust made up, that is just a slash cut cherry bomb, straight of the down pipe, does have an awesome turbo whine when running Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Lowering amount on the front and back    

Back to top Go down

Lowering amount on the front and back
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 3 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum  :: General-
Jump to: