Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum

Anything Toyota Hiace related

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  

Share | 

Have Removed Front Drive Shaft AWD [experiment]

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Fang

Number of posts : 12
Registration date : 2008-11-22

PostSubject: Have Removed Front Drive Shaft AWD [experiment]   Tue Dec 13, 2016 12:09 am

Hello. I have a 1996 supercustom 3litre AWD turbo diesel .
Recently I noticed a slight leak from the Viscous Coupling output spline that feeds through a driveshaft to the front diff.
First of all I would like to ask where in Australia can I buy the special oil/fluid required for the viscous coupling, and also where can I buy the seal.?.
While I had the drive shaft disconnected I went for a drive to see what would happen.
Very interesting result. The drive system was completely normal for a few minutes, but felt much better in the steering, cornering ect.
But , that did not last long.
Soon a screeching noise plus hesitation in take up and acceleration developed, which quickly got worse.
So I returned home and reinstalled the drive shaft and everything is back to normal.
I believe the whirring screeching noise is the front drive shaft spinning at very high rpm as the viscous coupling tries to even out the front rear drives.
I believe there would be a significant improvement in economy if it could be run on RWD only.
But, how to do it is the question I ask. ?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Hiace4wd
Hiace Master
Hiace Master

Number of posts : 417
Home City : Netherlands
Model and year : 1994 Toyota Hiace 4x4 DIY camper
Registration date : 2016-02-01

PostSubject: Re: Have Removed Front Drive Shaft AWD [experiment]   Tue Dec 13, 2016 8:31 am

Well, how to do it is to take a different gearbox or better yet, different transfer case.

Because most of them just have a typical parttime 4x4 system (like my van) in which case you drive rear wheel drive, and just engage 4wd when you need it (with a button on the dash).
This means a fixed connection between front and back, in which case you can easily remove one of the propshafts/driveshafts. I did that once with a Landcruiser and continued in front wheel drive Razz

Do you have the model code for your van? It is on the grey plate under the bonnet. Should be something like KZH113-......
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Fang

PostSubject: Re: Have Removed Front Drive Shaft AWD [experiment]   Tue Dec 13, 2016 11:38 am

Yes, well mine is an auto AWD with no means to control the viscous coupling drive.
its a KD-KZH106G-JRPET.
Engine is a 1KZ-TE.
Getting the fluid is somewhat difficult, but I have been steered towards a farm machinery service centre, as apparently viscous couplings are widely used in tractors etc.
but that could be fraught with danger as not all oils are the same, and a mistake could be costly.
Toyota cannot help me with the shaft seal, and they don't carry the fluid at all.
So, its very interesting atm. Cheers.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Hiace4wd
Hiace Master
Hiace Master

Number of posts : 417
Home City : Netherlands
Model and year : 1994 Toyota Hiace 4x4 DIY camper
Registration date : 2016-02-01

PostSubject: Re: Have Removed Front Drive Shaft AWD [experiment]   Tue Dec 13, 2016 2:16 pm

Don't you have an original manual that came with the car? It should say which oil should go inside.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Fang

PostSubject: Re: Have Removed Front Drive Shaft AWD [experiment]   Wed Dec 14, 2016 2:02 am

I was able to make contact this morning with a Company in Perth western australia that has dealt with, and imported supercustoms for some 20 years, so here, pardon the pun, is the good oil.
No wonder that I could find no info on the type of oil/fluid that goes into the awd viscous coupling.
It just takes ordinary old diff oil.. No fancy stuff, just plain diff oil.
And they have the seals in stock.
I tend to believe them because that is the smell of the oil in the coupling. just smells like diff oil.
So, problem solved for me. But, I do stress that you do your own research before putting diff oil into a supercustom awd coupling. I take no responsibility if the info I have posted in good faith is incorrect. Cheers.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Have Removed Front Drive Shaft AWD [experiment]   

Back to top Go down

Have Removed Front Drive Shaft AWD [experiment]
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1