Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum

Anything Toyota Hiace related

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  

Share | 

hello, -just join this forum!

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
guyy222

Number of posts : 3
Home City : germany
Registration date : 2016-12-30

PostSubject: hello, -just join this forum!   Fri Dec 30, 2016 5:25 pm

Hello all:

I don't have yet hiace...but I would like to buy one.
the issue is that I have two main problems...and I would be very happy if you can help me with more info.

I would like to built by my own "overland" camper,and in the end I have two candidates:
toyota hiace or mitsubishi L300. I'm living in Germany and the "hiace" that we have here is the " Senaste versionen" that come with AWD without "high & low gear" . the l300 4x4  prices are very high and most of the cars not in a good condition....

my questions are:
is the AWD system will be good enough for me ( I will not gonna do any off road...)?
there is an option to put "diff-lock" and to high lift it?

I will thank for any help!
many thanks and Happy new-year, Ben.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
WGWarburton
Been here a while
Been here a while

Number of posts : 163
Home City : Central Scotland
Model and year : 94 2.8 Noppo HiTop Super-Long
Registration date : 2012-02-07

PostSubject: Re: hello, -just join this forum!   Sat Dec 31, 2016 10:26 am

Hi,
     Short answer is Yes.
The AWD system is good enough to get you along bad roads. The thing that will stop you is lack of ground clearance. It is possible to install a diff-lock but is likely to be expensive... I would think the money would be better spent on other things.
Are you building it to do an overland trip (Cool! Where are you going?) or because you want a van that could?
You can increase ride height a bit with bigger tyres (some bodywork required, depending how big you want to go) and/or with suspension work. It's worth knowing that the HiAce shares many drivetrain parts with the HiLux 4x4 pickup, so many hilux mods can work on the hiace.

There are some good posts on increasing ground clearance on this board- especially from our Australian contributors. There's also an excellent thread, that links to a blog, from a forum member that drove from Canada to Ushuaia in a HiAce.
I would advise thinking hard about where you plan to go and how far away from parts suppliers you may be. If you are mostly exploring "civilised" areas with decent roads and maybe a lot of mountains then the extra power from the later turbocharged AWD HiAces could be very welcome in a vehicle loaded for a long trip. On the other hand, if you will be in remote areas with bad roads, the earlier ones with a Hi-Lo transmission,  no turbo and no 30-year-old electronics might be a safer option, despite the lower power output (if you can find a good one in Germany, or are prepared to buy elsewhere).

Cheers,
             W.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Hiace4wd
Hiace Master
Hiace Master

Number of posts : 419
Home City : Netherlands
Model and year : 1994 Toyota Hiace 4x4 DIY camper
Registration date : 2016-02-01

PostSubject: Re: hello, -just join this forum!   Sat Dec 31, 2016 2:40 pm

Hi Ben,

I specifically chose the old one for parttime 4x4 and low gearing. The awd version is good enough for bad roads as said, but no serious offroading.
But I also have a slow diesel like W mentioned above.

I live in the Netherlands and the only way to get the old one with real 4x4 is to import from Norway or other Nordic countries. But rust wil be common.

Where do you want to go with a big trip?
I went through Asia and you don't really need 4x4 but it will allow you to get to more places. But in Africa you need it more.

Since you write you don't want to drive offroad the newer one with AWD us a better choice. It will be more comfortable to drive. A difflock is expensive and will not help much, because the power will go to the front wheels. You need to lock the centre diff lock, maybe Nestle offroad has something for it.
That company is from Germany and they make stuff for that type of Awd Hiace
Back to top Go down
View user profile
guyy222

PostSubject: Re: hello, -just join this forum!   Sun Jan 01, 2017 1:12 pm

Hi all and happy new-year!

the Hiace that I can buy in germany is that one...:

the tour that I'm planning to do will be like that: (again - planning!)
Norway - iceland - Greenland - Canada - Alaska and then the PA road south.
Simple and reliability is must...
I will probably will meet lot of gravel road and mud

more tips will be welcome!
All the best, Ben.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
TwentyOneThirtyFive
Been here a while
Been here a while

Number of posts : 179
Home City : Hertfordshire, UK
Model and year : Super GL Camper (Vantech), 2.8D 4wd, 1995
Registration date : 2016-08-04

PostSubject: Re: hello, -just join this forum!   Sun Jan 01, 2017 7:36 pm

Sounds like a cool plan, we have a similar plan for ours.

No idea how the AWD compares to the 4wd, but plenty of people take the VW T3 syncro which has a similar AWD setup (viscous coupling, although they do have a crawler gear and some have locking diffs).

Have you considered buying from the UK?  Loads being imported from Japan and the Euro/Sterling rate must be attractive?  Is fairly easy to import Germany to UK, not sure about the other way around though.

Check out the HiAce Hobo website that has some good info on lifting HiAces. Think he's been travelling with someone that has one of the long nose models recently, so you might be able to get some info there.

Good luck with your search Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
WGWarburton
Been here a while
Been here a while

Number of posts : 163
Home City : Central Scotland
Model and year : 94 2.8 Noppo HiTop Super-Long
Registration date : 2012-02-07

PostSubject: Re: hello, -just join this forum!   Sun Jan 01, 2017 11:20 pm

Hi,
Maybe something like this?

http://www.icelandroadtrip.com/camping-and-campers/tour/toyota-hilux-4x4-with-camper

On a US pickup base, even, since a lot of your driving will be in North America, especially later in the trip when problems may be more likely to come up?

Just a thought.

Cheers,
W.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Hiace4wd
Hiace Master
Hiace Master

PostSubject: Re: hello, -just join this forum!   Mon Jan 02, 2017 9:59 am

@Twenty: Are you sure this one has a viscous coupling? Could be an open diff as well.

T3 syncro has a bit more ground clearance (when we talk about unmodified cars), it will do a bit better than the red Hiace.
The older Hiaces that we have, have a full 4x4 system, so in the end that is the best ( in my opinion )
However, driving on the highway, the red van will drive the most comfortable.

guyy222 wrote:
Hi all and happy new-year!

the Hiace that I can buy in germany is that one...:

the tour that I'm planning to do will be like that: (again - planning!)
Norway - iceland - Greenland - Canada - Alaska and then the PA road south.
Simple and reliability is must...
I will probably will meet lot of gravel road and mud

more tips will be welcome!
All the best, Ben.

If you take this model but then a bit older, you will have a more simple engine but still have a turbodiesel.
The one in the picture is also a good car, it has a more modern engine. So better fuel economy and probably much smoother running.
But you have to check if they use this engine in Canada or US. It is the same engine as in Hiluxes, if they are using diesel Hiluxes (2.5 D4D) there, which may not be the case.

About your route. Greenland sounds kind of heavy, I'm not sure how it is to drive there but I would think you need a serious 4x4 there.
What do you mean by PA road south?
About Canada and Alaska, and also Iceland, it depends what you want to do with it. You don't need it for your main travelling.
But Iceland for example, you can do some light offroading with the red van, but there will be roads that you cannot do. Also river crossings.
The same goes for Canada and Alaska.

However, for tarmac roads with snow, or light gravel roads the AWD system is fine. For encountering mud I would suggest to buy good tires. Like Toyo Open Country or something, a combination of road and mud tire.

You can also check the Nestle Offroad company, see what they have for the Hiace:
http://offroad-nestle.de/de/zubehoer/hiace-kurz/

I think they are a bit expensive, but prices include work I think, and they are experienced with this type of Hiace.
They can make it the same as the old van, with a real 4x4 system and low-gearing. But that is 10.000 euro...
However, they can also do difflocks front and read for you, and maybe they can tell you how good it will be offroading.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
guyy222

PostSubject: Re: hello, -just join this forum!   Mon Jan 02, 2017 6:13 pm

Hi all!
many thanks for all the info!
PA road = Pan-American Highway

Regarding serious 4x4, As I mention in my 1'st post, I'm really debating if to buy Mitsubishi L300 4x4....

I"m a big fun of toyota...we have now in the family corolla verso, and yaris...so I thought to buy Hilux pick-up with camper, but all the cars that i saw are very expensive and in bad condition!

I will keep looking...
all the best you all, Ben!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
TwentyOneThirtyFive
Been here a while
Been here a while

Number of posts : 179
Home City : Hertfordshire, UK
Model and year : Super GL Camper (Vantech), 2.8D 4wd, 1995
Registration date : 2016-08-04

PostSubject: Re: hello, -just join this forum!   Mon Jan 02, 2017 9:35 pm

Hiace4wd wrote:
@Twenty: Are you sure this one has a viscous coupling? Could be an open diff as well.

No, was an assumption, I should have checked.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Hiace4wd
Hiace Master
Hiace Master

PostSubject: Re: hello, -just join this forum!   Tue Jan 03, 2017 11:23 am

Ben,

You also mention in the first post that you don't want to do real offroading. But you are looking for the L300 as well.

Let's say the L300 is the same as the old Hiace, with parttime 4x4 and low-gearing. It will allow you to get through most stuff and even mountain tracks.
Although the Hiace may need a suspension lift. I think it is ready for this real offroading, that is what I've done with it.

The later type Hiace with AWD is good enough for you, if you only will drive on public roads, and the public roads might get bad with gravel or snow.
Mud means you went off the public roads. A bit of mud is never a problem, but if you expect to go through thick mud (like a forest track when it rains), you will need the parttime 4x4 and not the all-wheel-drive.

Greenland sounds kind of harsh. It will be a challenge to get your car there, and then you can't even drive from place to place because there are not roads everywhere.

With Iceland you can do some fun tracks, but the thougher roads with river crossings are considered real offroading.

however, I have the feeling the later type Hiace all-wheel-drive is good enough for must circumstances for public roads and light offroad (gravel roads etc)

TwentyOneThirtyFive wrote:
Hiace4wd wrote:

No, was an assumption, I should have checked.

I checked the parts system and it looks like a viscous coupling, although I'm not sure. There is some kind of clutch present.

It also seems that the form factor of the transfer case is exactly the same as our vans, meaning that you could convert the later AWD van to a parttime 4x4 like we have, with low gearing!

That is quite interesting, because I think the later style vans are a bit more comfortable (and you can buy much newer models)

I think that is probably the conversion that Nestle Offroad is also doing, using just Toyota parts. (but any lever or buttons will be custom made).

However, you still need to raise it quite a bit, leading to same kind of issues as with lifting our vans.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: hello, -just join this forum!   

Back to top Go down

hello, -just join this forum!
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1