Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum

Anything Toyota Hiace related

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  

Share | 

Cabin air filter location?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
LiamM

Number of posts : 4
Home City : Vancouver
Registration date : 2017-01-22

PostSubject: Cabin air filter location?   Sun Jan 22, 2017 2:58 am

Hi guys, new to the forum!

I have a 92' super custom. Anybody know where the cabin air filter is? Had a look behind the glove box but couldn't see anything that looked like an air filter slot.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
GPW
Hiace Master
Hiace Master

Number of posts : 486
Home City : Cambridge, UK
Model and year : Model: KD-KZH100G-MRPGT
Year: 1996
Colour: 4K1
Trim: FN42

Registration date : 2016-07-16

PostSubject: Re: Cabin air filter location?   Sun Jan 22, 2017 9:38 am

I don't think it has one.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
GPW
Hiace Master
Hiace Master

PostSubject: Re: Cabin air filter location?   Sun Jan 22, 2017 10:27 am

As an addition to this, I was around the van this morning and I still have the LHS headlamp out.
Above this headlight is a 7" by 5" smooth sided hole that goes straight to the cabin intake fan. You can reach in and spin the fan - it's that direct.

This has no filter and you can see the road dust on the fan inside, but there are 3 nuts holding the fan to the body with 1" of thread showing.

It would therefore be quite easy to fit a cabin filter up to around 2" thick over this hole and secure it with the bolt threads, you'd just need to work out the size and make a metal cage, then fill it with the right foam.

It's possible it was designed to fit a Toyota filter in there - they may have even made one to fit but I've never found one on the web and mine's never had one so it could be a DIY only job.

But the good news is that it's quite possible - but you have to remove the LH headlamp to start.
I may ft one myself now, I hadn't realised it was so accessible.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
LiamM

Number of posts : 4
Home City : Vancouver
Registration date : 2017-01-22

PostSubject: Re: Cabin air filter location?   Mon Jan 23, 2017 6:57 am

Hmm interesting. That would help explain why I wasn't able to find it! Interesting about the fan hole. I'm gonna have a look and see what I can do. Thanks for your help!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
GPW
Hiace Master
Hiace Master

PostSubject: Re: Cabin air filter location?   Tue Jan 24, 2017 11:58 am

Images of mine:

image hosting over 2mb

Click on for full size.

The work is in figuring out the template to slip over the M6 bolts sticking out.

A suitably shaped piece of aluminium plate cut and drilled to slip over those bolts - perhaps with metal fingers left to bend upwards - should then be made I think. This can then have foam glued to the van side of the plate to seal the gap left by the nuts that hold that fan assy to the van, and on the headlight side - held in with the metal fingers, could be a metal support grid and then cut down carbon cabin filter with foam or just washable foam layers.

I need to start looking for cardboard for the template Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile
GPW
Hiace Master
Hiace Master

PostSubject: Re: Cabin air filter location?   Sat Jan 28, 2017 11:37 am

Ok, so I've ordered one of these:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/391318321550

that should fit snugly being of the perfect size.
I will need to stick some foam around the outside of the hole and make a little metal bar to go across to hold it to the left and right bolts, but it doesn't need cutting. I will need to find some foam weatherstrip now.

I'll let you know when it arrives - first I need to hoover out the deteriorated foam at the top of the duct - sound deadening that won't be needed with a filter in there.

ETA: I also bought this foam tape to line the front face of the opening:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/161436692203

12.5mm x 6mm foam tape. 6mm may be a little optimistic but I can use two or three layers if required.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Hiace4wd
Hiace Master
Hiace Master

Number of posts : 493
Home City : Netherlands
Model and year : 1994 Toyota Hiace 4x4 DIY camper
Registration date : 2016-02-01

PostSubject: Re: Cabin air filter location?   Mon Jan 30, 2017 8:24 am

Interesting. I might want to do that as well.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
GPW
Hiace Master
Hiace Master

PostSubject: Re: Cabin air filter location?   Mon Jan 30, 2017 9:54 am

Cheers, I'll let you know if it fits (and if the headlight fits in after too!
Headlamp fit for me is uncertain also because:

Still looking for headlights with reflectors that are not totally matt, I have two options:

1) Chop the unit up and fit a new 5.75" crystal H4 beam behind it (£28 a pair and super efficient).
That way I keep the foglight in there too, but it's a bit hacky and not so weathertight.
2) Buy Ford Transit Mk4/5 new glass units (H4), as they are a similar shape and see if they fit, I'll have to
make brackets but not an issue if they fit in place - it's £30 each to find out, so I may buy one and see, then sell
it straight on if it doesn't. Both solutions give brand new modern lighting, but the Fords have no fog lamp so I
may fit lower projector fogs to the bumper later if I want them.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Hiace4wd
Hiace Master
Hiace Master

Number of posts : 493
Home City : Netherlands
Model and year : 1994 Toyota Hiace 4x4 DIY camper
Registration date : 2016-02-01

PostSubject: Re: Cabin air filter location?   Mon Jan 30, 2017 12:45 pm

Oh I missed the thing about the headlights haha. I have to figure out where mine comes out, since mine is LHD. That is annoying to remove them.

But what is the issue with the headlights? Sure they're not the best in the market but is it really that necessary?

When driving on a dark road you can turn on the big lights. I have two additional lights in the front. See:

Back to top Go down
View user profile
GPW
Hiace Master
Hiace Master

PostSubject: Re: Cabin air filter location?   Mon Jan 30, 2017 1:36 pm

You've got some great lamps there - easy to source headlamps and driving lamps too.

Toyota played around with that front design quite a bit, there seems to be 3 main types:

1) Yours (rectangular)
2) Thinner headlamps with indicators running underneath
3) Big headlamps (mine).

The foglamp parts of mine are OK, but the headlamp reflectors are matt. As in completely matt, no shine at all. That's great for being seen but means the beam cast is pathetic - almost the same as having no reflector because the light is totally diffused.

I changed some lights before on my Peugeot that had worn plastic lenses that were very bright. The new laps were much easier on the eye for oncoming traffic but also far more efficient.

The Toyota lamps are glass and the glass if smooth and clear, but the reflectors inside are like the reverse side of tin-foil: matt. In fact even chrome and silver have very different efficiencies, so a brand new set will make a HUGE difference.

Because the Hiace ones are unobtainable first I'm trying a set of new Transit lamps for just over £50:

I'll just sell them on if they are unusable.

I'm hoping these fit closely enough, not much choice really - and a reversible mod if some new originals pop up. I'll just have to fill in any gaps nicely with care so they look presentable.

The other option is to go with round 5.75" lamps but the bowls cost more than the transit units - but that's still an option as I reckon I could get 4 in there (H4 + fogs) and then just add a perspex cutout shaped on the outside to the old lamps and the inside with the two 6" holes for the lamps.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
GPW
Hiace Master
Hiace Master

PostSubject: Re: Cabin air filter location?   Fri Feb 03, 2017 7:28 pm

Some news - my filter and foam tape have arrived but I have had a chance to try them in place yet.

The Transit Mk5 glass headlamps have also arrived, brand new and very shiny. They are remarkably similar in shape and size and one mounting lug is almost in the right place too. The only issue is that one of the reflector adjusters sticks out the back about 3" and I need to either cut 1.5" off it or make a new hole in the bulkhead for it - if nothing else is behind there. The originals are adjusted through the bulkhead anyway.

Alignment looks to be easy to get right with a bit of fettling with some ali brackets - it all looks very doable so far.

Very pleased - and only £29 each brand new rather than £unobtainable. The Fords of that era had good lights so I'm hopeful that they will be nice and bright. There is also a sidelight connector in there that I can to connect up - I just need to see if I can find a pair of plugs to fit!

I'll probably just tie back the fog lamp wires until I get around to adding them, I tend to only use them rarely however.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Cabin air filter location?   

Back to top Go down

Cabin air filter location?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1