Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum

Anything Toyota Hiace related

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  

Share | 

Importing ??

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Admin
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 1116
Home City : Bristol
Registration date : 2007-01-15

PostSubject: Importing ??   Thu Feb 02, 2017 8:01 pm

Has anyone imported there own cars from Japan ? Just wondered if it was straight forward.. Seems like it might save a bit
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://hiace-super-custom.free-boards.net
GPW
Hiace Master
Hiace Master

Number of posts : 449
Home City : Cambridge, UK
Model and year : Model: KD-KZH100G-MRPGT
Year: 1996
Colour: 4K1
Trim: FN42

Registration date : 2016-07-16

PostSubject: Re: Importing ??   Fri Feb 03, 2017 10:20 am

Admin wrote:
Has anyone imported there own cars from Japan ? Just wondered if it was straight forward.. Seems like it might save a bit

Yes, I did last year.
I wouldn't say it's cheaper, but you have the chance to get a better one, and a huge choice of what to get. And less rust (see bottom)

I bought mine through CarofJapan who were excellent.

E.g:
https://carfromjapan.com/en/used-cars?keywords=hiace+super

You should also look for details such as cruise control and climate control as these are a pain to retrofit.

Before buying decide on 2WD vs 4WD, auto vs manual, body mods and purpose. Some nice manuals pop up now and again.
Or just do what I did and buy the coolest looking one Very Happy.
One thing mine did have was extensive underside photos - CofJ are good at pointing out issues in photos but it's also nice to see clean bottoms, as it were. The more photos the better. E.g: https://carfromjapan.com/en/car/5848f386402fd1694ddcbfda-toyota-hiace-wagon-2002

Japan costs:
UK doesn't require an inspection. I paid for the inspection but they said I didn't need it - so I had them spend it on a service which was actually very handy for me.
On paying for it you get the original Bill of Lading - your legal right to the cargo on the boat. This arrives via Fedex.
Insurance for shipping is cheap and they do occasionally sink.

Total costs:
If you register on the site you'll get a 'total cost delivered' value for any vehicle you click on. This is useful, because UK duty and VAT is calculated on top of the total cost. Yes, you also pay on top of the shipping.
Basically add 32% to the total price shown. Exchange rates may add a bit - I found it cheapest to pay in dollars, their yen price cost more. Allow 150 for the UK shipping agent, they are useful to do the NOVA form for you on entry and settle with HMRC.

Then you need to get it home, fit a rear foglamp + switch and get an MOT. Then you fill out the V55 and apply for a registration with the Export Certificate to prove the age,
You may also want to get it rustproofed - apart from a couple of stonechips mine is rust free but they are not waxed for UK weather so I'd advise you to do that here.

I'm still fitting stereo, reversing camera, foglamp wiring, cruise on mine so I have NOVA confirmation but it's not gone for the MOT yet, and it won't until the salt is gone. It was basically trouble free. You also get to track your boat around the world as it gets here, the shipping schedules are on there and there are also sites where you can track the boat from. Mine already had quite a world tour before it got here Very Happy

Edited to fix links.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Admin
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 1116
Home City : Bristol
Registration date : 2007-01-15

PostSubject: Re: Importing ??   Fri Feb 03, 2017 7:37 pm

Great info.. Thanks..

I was looking at a site called www.tradecarview.com.

There are options to select landing port etc..

They give an estimatred total cost but i had forgotten the Vat !
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://hiace-super-custom.free-boards.net
GPW
Hiace Master
Hiace Master

Number of posts : 449
Home City : Cambridge, UK
Model and year : Model: KD-KZH100G-MRPGT
Year: 1996
Colour: 4K1
Trim: FN42

Registration date : 2016-07-16

PostSubject: Re: Importing ??   Fri Feb 03, 2017 7:49 pm

Admin wrote:
Great info.. Thanks..

I was looking at a site called www.tradecarview.com.

There are options to select landing port etc..

They give an estimated total cost but i had forgotten the Vat !

Yes, I knew about the 10% import and then found out about the VAT. The big surprise was that the shipping was included in the bill, so you pay 32% on top of the whole total - which is a bit of a scam TBH.

Still, if you are careful and know what you are looking for you can still get a good deal - body condition and features are key. I think if you can get one with the exact spec you want (length, fit-out, condition, options) it's a good thing to do because the choice is so huge,
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Importing ??   

Back to top Go down

Importing ??
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1