Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum

Anything Toyota Hiace related

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  

Share | 

Hello! Introduction & My Quest...

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
ShamelessKnowledgeVampire

Number of posts : 1
Home City : brighton
Model and year : 1994 Toyota Hiace
3 litre.
Full time 4WD
Wellhouse Leisure did the professional conversion from day van to camper.

Registration date : 2017-02-11

PostSubject: Hello! Introduction & My Quest...   Sat Feb 11, 2017 5:56 am

Hello there all.

As my username suggests I am here to seek your advice, opinions, and knowledge.

In a couple of days Iíll create a new thread with everything I want to ask and include pictures and details etc but let me outline My Quest and thus reason for being here.

My friend has a 1994 3ltr Hiace with approx. 103k miles on it. Purchased from Japan by Wellhouse Leisure who performed a ďday vanĒ conversion on it. Itís got all sorts of features on it. Too many to list here. The engine management light is always on due to having the computer replaced. But the MAIN issue is the fuel pump has failed.

My mate is thinking of scrapping it for between £100-£150 †Evil or Very Mad

I donít own a camper but when I heard this I instantly knew that it would be an egregious crime to scrap a vehicle like this! My Quest is to either get it back to full running condition to sell it on OR get it into a saleable condition so that someone can use, love, and enjoy this vehicle.

Have I made the right decision? Is this a worthy quest or should I just spend my time doing something else and let him scrap it?

Thanks in advance for your replies.

Chris.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
JT69
Not so new now
Not so new now

Number of posts : 60
Home City : Holmfirth Huddersfield Yorks
Model and year : 1996 3ltr turbo LWB super custom sat nav cruise fitted
Registration date : 2016-12-05

PostSubject: Re: Hello! Introduction & My Quest...   Sat Feb 11, 2017 9:07 am

Hi Chris My 3ltr has had a few problems too now resolved seams a shame to scrap it, first will it run second what are the symptoms of fuel pump failure or why do you think the pump has failed and was the (computer) new or tested as working. It is possible to clear fault codes by simply disconnecting the battery for a few minuets but permanent fault such as no fuel pressure it would come back on. Most of my problems were related to low battery voltage.
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
GPW
Hiace Master
Hiace Master

Number of posts : 449
Home City : Cambridge, UK
Model and year : Model: KD-KZH100G-MRPGT
Year: 1996
Colour: 4K1
Trim: FN42

Registration date : 2016-07-16

PostSubject: Re: Hello! Introduction & My Quest...   Sat Feb 11, 2017 2:11 pm

If the Hiace camper is fixed and in good condition it's probably worth over £5k, so its worth fixing!!
Also if you scrap it yourself and sell the bits here you'll get far more than £150 - and still get the same for scrapping the rest.

So with that in mind you should definitely get it!!
You can get it fixed at a garage but I'd start off with a fresh battery and a charger for if it runs down. Also while experimenting get a battery switch like this:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Battery-Isolator-Switch-Cut-Off-Disconnect-Terminal-Universal-Car-Van-Boat-01-/261818853135

What makes you think the fuel pump has failed - have you/he had a diesel engineer actually look at it?

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Hiace4wd
Hiace Master
Hiace Master

Number of posts : 460
Home City : Netherlands
Model and year : 1994 Toyota Hiace 4x4 DIY camper
Registration date : 2016-02-01

PostSubject: Re: Hello! Introduction & My Quest...   Mon Feb 13, 2017 9:01 am

It sounds strange to me that the engine light is always on, even though you replaced the ECU / computer.
This car with the 3 liter can have some issues with the ECU computer, so I would say it is suspect number 1. If possible, I would try ECU swap with somebody else first.
I'm not sure if there was a way to read the engine faults, that would be useful.
A good suggestion is to top it up with a battery charger and try again.
Then, afterwards you can deal with the fuel pump. You could get a replacement, or get the current one refurbished.

Sure, that may not cheap, but buying the van for 100 pounds allows for several thousands of pounds of repairs and still be worthwile.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Hello! Introduction & My Quest...   

Back to top Go down

Hello! Introduction & My Quest...
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1