Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum

Anything Toyota Hiace related

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  

Share | 

Central locking mechanism playing up

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
wernerk
Been here a while
Been here a while

Number of posts : 160
Home City : Flinders Park, South Australia
Model and year : 06/94 Toyota Hiace Super Custom 3.0L TD AWD
Registration date : 2012-01-19

PostSubject: Central locking mechanism playing up   Sun Mar 05, 2017 10:39 pm

Hi all,

the auto locking system on my van seems to be playing up. Once the speed goes over 20km/h, then all doors are locked. However, the doors keep on trying to lock even though they are already locked and this results in a (irritating Mad ) persistent clicking sound. Once stopped at the lights, all goes quiet. However, once moving and above 20km/h, the clicking sound starts again. Also, the passenger door seems to be isolated from the central locking. This has happened on the last 5 or 6 trips.

This morning on the way to work, this symptom appeared again. However, after about 10 minutes or so, the incessant clicking had disappeared and the passenger door was locked along with all other doors.

The clicking only appears once the speed is over 20 km/h. It's not practical to drive everywhere at <20 km/h Very Happy to keep me sane...

I don't know what will happen on the way home from work tonight, time will tell.

Anyone have any ideas as to where to look? I'm not that good with electronics, so a trip to an auto electrician may be necessary if it's not a simple fix.

I should mention the van is a 1994 4WD with 1KZ-TE engine.

Cheers.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
GPW
Hiace Master
Hiace Master

Number of posts : 449
Home City : Cambridge, UK
Model and year : Model: KD-KZH100G-MRPGT
Year: 1996
Colour: 4K1
Trim: FN42

Registration date : 2016-07-16

PostSubject: Re: Central locking mechanism playing up   Mon Mar 06, 2017 7:37 am

I'd suggest looking at the door lock switch on the driver's door switch pad first.

Most likely is a switch or loose connection on that door as it gets used (slammed) the most.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
wernerk
Been here a while
Been here a while

Number of posts : 160
Home City : Flinders Park, South Australia
Model and year : 06/94 Toyota Hiace Super Custom 3.0L TD AWD
Registration date : 2012-01-19

PostSubject: Re: Central locking mechanism playing up   Mon Mar 06, 2017 11:56 pm

When I drove home yesterday and to work this morning, all was quiet (touch wood!).

I have noticed that the problem sometimes arises after washing the van at a car wash.

What is the best way to get to the driver's door switch pad should I need to go there in the future?

Cheers.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
GPW
Hiace Master
Hiace Master

Number of posts : 449
Home City : Cambridge, UK
Model and year : Model: KD-KZH100G-MRPGT
Year: 1996
Colour: 4K1
Trim: FN42

Registration date : 2016-07-16

PostSubject: Re: Central locking mechanism playing up   Tue Mar 07, 2017 8:16 am

Haven't taken mine off yet, but in my experience of other cars there is a trim surround that unclips (gently with screwdriver/trim pry) and then you can unscrew the panel.

BTW I'd highly recommend you buy a cheap set of trim pliers like this:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CAR-DOOR-CARD-PANEL-TRIM-CLIP-REMOVAL-PLIERS-UPHOLSTERY-REMOVER-PRY-BAR-TOOL-/380897707960

as the pry tool is plastic coated to not scratch and the pliers themselves are the safe way to remove door cards as Hiace parts are not easily replaceable.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Central locking mechanism playing up   

Back to top Go down

Central locking mechanism playing up
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1