Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum

Anything Toyota Hiace related

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  

Share | 

Temptation - I have been offered something I'm familiar with

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
mickB
Been here a while
Been here a while

Number of posts : 136
Home City : Coventry
Model and year : 1992 SC 2.4TD
Registration date : 2016-07-06

PostSubject: Temptation - I have been offered something I'm familiar with   Sat May 13, 2017 6:31 pm

my mate has a high top t25 volkswagen he says is mine if I want it, he bought it very cheap and only wants a few quid extra to cover his expenses, all there, fridge, stove, rock roll, hook up, split charge, swivel seats, etc etc mot feb 18, and I can have it for about 1200 Shocked he knows he can get 3x's that but he's offered it me as we're good pals

my SC is in for MOT next saturday and if its not drastic I'm very tempted to sell on the SC but I haven't done what I wanted to it, plus it has that special quite rare value to it,

I'm torn, I really am, I vee dubber at heart but the SC holds a special bit in me too
Back to top Go down
View user profile
GPW
Hiace Master
Hiace Master

Number of posts : 437
Home City : Cambridge, UK
Model and year : Model: KD-KZH100G-MRPGT
Year: 1996
Colour: 4K1
Trim: FN42

Registration date : 2016-07-16

PostSubject: Re: Temptation - I have been offered something I'm familiar with   Sun May 14, 2017 9:41 am

1200 is good, for that money I'd buy it and compare how you like them both to drive and use.
The VW has the big advantage of spares - and also access from the front, the Hiace looks a lot better and should in theory be more reliable.

I would be interesting to see how you compared the two.

careful of ending up keeping two vans though - not such a good idea as it dilutes the focus Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Hiace4wd
Hiace Master
Hiace Master

Number of posts : 451
Home City : Netherlands
Model and year : 1994 Toyota Hiace 4x4 DIY camper
Registration date : 2016-02-01

PostSubject: Re: Temptation - I have been offered something I'm familiar with   Mon May 15, 2017 11:03 am

I think a Super Custom is (with the engine you have) is on another level than a T25. You would be buying the T25 for the looks or love for veedub brand. I'm not sure if it would do anything better.

It also sounds like you're comparing a non-camper with a campervan?

What engine does it have? A small diesel without turbo?
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
mickB
Been here a while
Been here a while

PostSubject: Re: Temptation - I have been offered something I'm familiar with   Mon May 15, 2017 3:40 pm

I've had a few days to think about it and yes I am comparing a full converted camper to what effectively is a day van occasional night or two out, I am a VW man at heart but the prices just killed me and out priced me from owning another, but my worry is a built a T4 few years ago with everything bar a night heater an we used it twice to camp away in, so would driving a high top t25 with the 1.9 dg water cooled flat four get to me on the days I use the SC for work and weekend driving. Its the price that's getting me, its just so stupidly cheap and I know I'll never afford one again, but I just don't know..............
Back to top Go down
View user profile
mickB
Been here a while
Been here a while

PostSubject: Re: Temptation - I have been offered something I'm familiar with   Mon May 15, 2017 3:42 pm

and the SC does frustrate me with lack of available after market parts, I'm still wanting to drop the back but reluctant in case I can't find suitable coil springs that will drop it down, plus we all know the vans have a lot, I mean LOT of electrics and I've already got a 1amp draw from somewhere that takes my battery down within 3 days, so is that the start of electrical issues........ Question
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Hiace4wd
Hiace Master
Hiace Master

Number of posts : 451
Home City : Netherlands
Model and year : 1994 Toyota Hiace 4x4 DIY camper
Registration date : 2016-02-01

PostSubject: Re: Temptation - I have been offered something I'm familiar with   Mon May 15, 2017 4:08 pm

What do you need in aftermarket parts? Is it just the springs?
There are quite some lowered vans in the East I think, maybe they just cut the springs or use from another car.
I'm sure it can't be that hard.

In this part of the world there are indeed more spares for a VW, but I don't care too much because there isn't much that you need, and most stuff can be ordered new.

By the way, my van has no fancy electrics at all. No electric sunroofs, no power mirrors, no power windows, no central locking. Not even something that you would call an ECU as the diesel engine is so simple. Nothing to break cheers (also no automatic)
The Super Customs are all very different, with everything electric. I think some even had electric curtains.

Still facing that 1amp draw? I guess you should take a multimeter in Ampere measuring mode, and measure the amps at every fuse (by removing the fuse and putting the multimeter between the contacts)
Then it should show quite quickly I think, which fuse it is behind. Then, even if you still can't solve it, you could at least put a relay on everything behind that fuse, only allowing it power when the key is in.

mickB wrote:
I've had a few days to think about it and yes I am comparing a full converted camper to what effectively is a day van occasional night or two out, I am a VW man at heart but the prices just killed me and out priced me from owning another, but my worry is a built a T4 few years ago with everything bar a night heater an we used it twice to camp away in, so would driving a high top t25 with the 1.9 dg water cooled flat four get to me on the days I use the SC for work and weekend driving. Its the price that's getting me, its just so stupidly cheap and I know I'll never afford one again, but I just don't know..............

Can you chop it down into separate sentences? Very Happy

Are you trying to say that you had a T4 campervan but rarely used it to go camping? Then you should think about if you want to have a campervan.

Does this T25 have a 1.9 diesel without turbo? Then it will be a lot slower I think, which might annoy you in the daily driving.
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
TwentyOneThirtyFive
Been here a while
Been here a while

Number of posts : 189
Home City : Hertfordshire, UK
Model and year : Super GL Camper (Vantech), 2.8D 4wd, 1995
Registration date : 2016-08-04

PostSubject: Re: Temptation - I have been offered something I'm familiar with   Mon May 15, 2017 4:29 pm

Also think of the restrictions the high top puts on you. I live with them because the van is only used as a camper. But I still have the fear of height barriers...

Hiace4wd, think the DG is normally aspirated 1.9 petrol

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Temptation - I have been offered something I'm familiar with   

Back to top Go down

Temptation - I have been offered something I'm familiar with
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1