Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum

Anything Toyota Hiace related

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  

Share | 

Disconnecting Dead A/C compressor?.... + Pic

Go down 
AuthorMessage
georgefreeways
Not so new now
Not so new now

Number of posts : 27
Home City : Bristol
Model and year : 1998 AM Craft Hiace Campervan 2.8 Auto
Registration date : 2016-03-14

PostSubject: Disconnecting Dead A/C compressor?.... + Pic   Sat Jun 24, 2017 1:11 pm

Hello all,

Had a very capable A/C enginneer visit to attempt to fix the AC on my 98' Hiace camper.
Sadly, the compressor has gone, we could see the dummy gas coming from a gasket on the pump, plus other leaks.

Nevermind.
I can live the fact it will be many $$ to fix this issue.
The van also lives in a dry barn through the winter and the system wouldnt get used/maintained.

However, I want to use the big top AC unit as blowers/fans in the back for my passengers (two, usually very warm, young daughters). These fans obvioulsly only come on when i hit the AC switch inbetween the 2 front seats by my head.

But the A/C pump needs to be diconnected so I dont run the risk of it running dry and seizing, throwing a belt and creating other engine issues.

He suggested I disconnect it.

I have just taken the drivers seat out to access, and the photo is of the grey soket/wire I have unclipped.

Im pretty sure this is correct, but mighty Hiace Oracle, whilst its all open and my seat is out i figured it wouldnt hurt to get a 2nd, or several opinions!

Everything still turns over and bloes as i wanted it too, I would cut the belt but it seems to be running round some other auxilliary pulleys that I dont know the function of. DANGER DANGER!

thanks,

George.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
georgefreeways
Not so new now
Not so new now

PostSubject: Re: Disconnecting Dead A/C compressor?.... + Pic   Sat Jun 24, 2017 5:58 pm

SOLVED?! The screw on top with the wire attached is resposible for the AC clutch, NOT the grey clipped lead which would have been the alternator according to the workshop manual.....

A?C i can manage without. Alternator? I find mine quite useful.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
GPW
Hiace Master
Hiace Master

Number of posts : 602
Home City : Cambridge, UK
Model and year : Model: KD-KZH100G-MRPGT
Year: 1996
Colour: 4K1
Trim: FN42

Registration date : 2016-07-16

PostSubject: Re: Disconnecting Dead A/C compressor?.... + Pic   Sun Jun 25, 2017 1:37 pm

Ah, I see, is it fully disconnected now then? That top screw looked a bit 'earthy' to me.

The Hilux AC pump may be the same, when/if you have time it may be worth getting the system drained, and then taking the pump off completely and comparing it to the Hilux or others, Toyota will not have made a special pump, only the pulley size will be their which may match the same engine in another Toyota.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
georgefreeways
Not so new now
Not so new now

PostSubject: Re: Disconnecting Dead A/C compressor?.... + Pic   Sun Jun 25, 2017 2:14 pm

Well, i've reconnected the grey lead, and taken the "earthy" looking lead out of the equation.
The workshop manual pictures arent the most deatailed it has to be said.

My rear fans still blow, but theres no sign of the AC pump kicking in as it did before, so hopefully thats it.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Hiace4wd
Hiace Master
Hiace Master

Number of posts : 625
Home City : Netherlands
Model and year : 1994 Toyota Hiace 4x4 DIY camper
Registration date : 2016-02-01

PostSubject: Re: Disconnecting Dead A/C compressor?.... + Pic   Mon Jul 03, 2017 10:02 am

So eh, your van is left-hand drive?

What about dissambling the rest of the system? So your van becomes lighter?
And then, when your done, put everything thing in a box, and send it to me? Very Happy

My two daughters will be thankful haha
Back to top Go down
View user profile
georgefreeways
Not so new now
Not so new now

PostSubject: Re: Disconnecting Dead A/C compressor?.... + Pic   Mon Jul 03, 2017 10:11 am

Ha! Laughing

Great Idea 4WD, although the fans in the back are now doing there job keeping my kids coole(er) without fear of the system seizing.

I fear the removal of any of the lengthy / complex system of pipework (which may or may not also contain leaks) would cause a massive upset to my vans deameanour, not to mention my beautiful carpet work.

And I like to think of the extra weight being a bonus when on windy decents.

Besides, its summer now, I have to holiday not get greasy!

I noticed they are doing new compressors for the Jinbei hiace on the CHina web, but Im not going to risk it. I think another winter in dry stor and other leaks would appear judging by the amount of dummy gas that was coming out when it was tested.

So does you van have a similar problem, or no AC fitted?

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Hiace4wd
Hiace Master
Hiace Master

Number of posts : 625
Home City : Netherlands
Model and year : 1994 Toyota Hiace 4x4 DIY camper
Registration date : 2016-02-01

PostSubject: Re: Disconnecting Dead A/C compressor?.... + Pic   Mon Jul 03, 2017 12:10 pm

I don't have any AC at all. And a left-hand-drive Hiace (with this body type) with AC is extremely rare.
So it would be my only chance of finding all AC related parts original from Toyota to build it in, in a way that it is original and inside the dashboard.
Anyway, I think it is too much work. I got all sliding windows instead Very Happy

However, I think you should be able to find another compressor and get it working again. Not original Toyota but should be available.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
GPW
Hiace Master
Hiace Master

PostSubject: Re: Disconnecting Dead A/C compressor?.... + Pic   Mon Jul 03, 2017 1:07 pm

I suspect there will be a company able to fix the compressor.

E.g: http://automotivecompressor.co.uk/
Back to top Go down
View user profile
georgefreeways
Not so new now
Not so new now

PostSubject: Re: Disconnecting Dead A/C compressor?.... + Pic   Mon Jul 03, 2017 1:25 pm

Thats interesting, thanks.

I'll look into it, but i think it may be a can of worms with other leaks elsewhere (eg.the pipe work to the back is buried with my door pillars)
Plus if i dont use the system, which i wont when the van is in winter storage, seals dry out and im back to square one.

I only ever saw it as a bonus feature TBH, and the month in France in the summer is the only really desparate time we have needed it so far.

Now the overhead fan unit can stay on for long periods I think thats made a big difference. Certainly did this weeknd on a 2hr motorway run.

I have also opened up and put grilles on the rear vents on the pillars which were previously covered with carpey and insualtion (got a bit carried away) this will let more hot air out as we move....

Thanks for the link though, once my other jobs on the list are done.....
Back to top Go down
View user profile
GPW
Hiace Master
Hiace Master

PostSubject: Re: Disconnecting Dead A/C compressor?.... + Pic   Mon Jul 03, 2017 4:05 pm

It's always a pros vs cons for AC in any vehicle.

I find it most useful for clearing the screen in the damp, it does use MPG and weight (some up top), quite a few kilos sitting there.

More useful IMO is a heater for cold nights, they are lighter but the decent diesel ones are quite expensive
If you fitted a heater then the pipes and heater rad could be removed from the van area at the back.
Less effort to leave it alone though Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Disconnecting Dead A/C compressor?.... + Pic   

Back to top Go down

Disconnecting Dead A/C compressor?.... + Pic
Page 1 of 1