Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum

Anything Toyota Hiace related

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  

Share | 

I need an ECU

Go down 
AuthorMessage
henso89

Number of posts : 7
Home City : Newcastle, Australia
Model and year : 1994 Toyota Hiace super custom 3L Turbo diesel - 1kzte
Registration date : 2017-07-01

PostSubject: I need an ECU   Sat Jul 01, 2017 8:40 am

Hey all,
Chasing a factory ECU for 94 super custom.
Have already done the capacitor replacement, but she's still rough and inconsistent on start.
Please help!

Dan
Back to top Go down
View user profile
GPW
Hiace Master
Hiace Master

Number of posts : 644
Home City : Cambridge, UK
Model and year : Model: KD-KZH100G-MRPGT
Year: 1996
Colour: 4K1
Trim: FN42

Registration date : 2016-07-16

PostSubject: Re: I need an ECU   Wed Jul 05, 2017 8:52 am

You may wish to check the glow-plugs on the engine, the ECU could be fine but a single bad glowplug will give you a rough start.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
henso89

PostSubject: Re: I need an ECU   Wed Jul 05, 2017 10:23 am

Thanks GBW. Just handed it over to the auto electrians anyway. Would u know if a faulty glow plug/s would cause the glow plug light not to come on? The reason I've gone down path of ecu, is I also don't have engine light 'on' when ignition is on prior to starting. It's intermittent. Sometimes I get the engine light and glow plug light come on, and usually it'll start. Over the last few days, it's gone patchy and now complete nothing.
Hopefully it is a glow plug or relay. It's been a real pain in the ass haha.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
GPW
Hiace Master
Hiace Master

PostSubject: Re: I need an ECU   Wed Jul 05, 2017 3:00 pm

If the glow plug light isn't on the glow plugs may not be on.
No glow plugs = very difficult starting and very rough for the first few minutes.

Could be the glow plug relay or fuse. They do draw a fair amount of current.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Hiace4wd
Hiace Master
Hiace Master

Number of posts : 648
Home City : Netherlands
Model and year : 1994 Toyota Hiace 4x4 DIY camper
Registration date : 2016-02-01

PostSubject: Re: I need an ECU   Thu Jul 06, 2017 8:15 am

Yes but if the check engine light is also not coming on, he might be right about the ECU.

And when he says complete nothing, there is probably not even an attempt, so not even bad starting.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
henso89

PostSubject: Re: I need an ECU   Thu Jul 06, 2017 9:39 am

Yeah the engine it self has never once ran rough, always smooth and healthy. It's first started off with intermittent start issues. For example, after car has been driven for 20 plus mins and gets to good running temp, then park up for 5 mins (put diesel in perhaps at the servo? Ha then try kick it over, and nothing, just the starter kicking it over but no bang. Give it a couple goes and she might just fire up, and if she does, no problems. However sometimes you'd have to wait hours before she'd kick over again, but once she did, she may not play up for days. Keep in mind however, when ever it didn't start, the engine light never came on, or if it did, only for a short time and in the first couple attempts.
From there, I googled and trolled forums, leading me to a common problem in which capacitors in the ecu board can fail and cause similar issues. So an auto electrician friend of mine and myself got into the ecu and searched for any corrosion, to which we found only 2 suspect ones and replaced accordingly.
Car ran good for a few days after, but actually did its start problem later that night after the repair. Thought the problem was all fixed from there. But drove up to the airport to pick up a friend the other day, thought I'd play it safe and not turn it off, to be sure. So I sat idling for about 10mins, (temps fine, cars running fun, no problems), then all of a sudden, it just turned off.
And she's dead, no glow plus light, no engine light when ignition is on. Wouldn't start. Stranded for 3hrs.
Later that night, went back out to see if it had settled and would start, but nothing. Again no lights.
So we left if at the airpor over night, (as in the past, it's always started the next morning). Went back up in the morning, but for the first time, didn't start. And from the get go, no engine or glow plug lights (all other lights were on as normal).
So she's been towed to an auto electrician.
We wait and see.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
GPW
Hiace Master
Hiace Master

PostSubject: Re: I need an ECU   Thu Jul 06, 2017 9:50 am

henso89 wrote:
So an auto electrician friend of mine and myself got into the ecu and searched for any corrosion, to which we found only 2 suspect ones and replaced accordingly.
Car ran good for a few days after, but actually did its start problem later that night after the repair. Thought the problem was all fixed from there. But drove up to the airport to pick up a friend the other day, thought I'd play it safe and not turn it off, to be sure. So I sat idling for about 10mins, (temps fine, cars running fun, no problems), then all of a sudden, it just turned off.
And she's dead, no glow plus light, no engine light when ignition is on. Wouldn't start. Stranded for 3hrs.
Later that night, went back out to see if it had settled and would start, but nothing. Again no lights.
So we left if at the airpor over night, (as in the past, it's always started the next morning). Went back up in the morning, but for the first time, didn't start. And from the get go, no engine or glow plug lights (all other lights were on as normal).
So she's been towed to an auto electrician.
We wait and see.

So after the repair it ran for a while and then completely died - while running - and hasn't run ever again?
Perhaps the capacitors were put in the wrong way around or were faulty?

To me the timing is suspicious, I agree that trying a new ECU is a good idea. In the meantime I'd take the old one back out and re-change the capacitors and have a good look if anything was disturbed, I'd also check the fuses again.

Of course as it failed for hours before that time it may be completely unrelated to the ECU: 'failed for hours' sounds like a loose connection somewhere. Perhaps an engine sensor has failed - is there a crank position sensor, they seem to fail occasionally.

I'm not sure how easy it is to get an ECU, if it's the 1KZ engine the Hilux ECU may be the same: they are more common.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
henso89

PostSubject: Re: I need an ECU   Thu Jul 06, 2017 10:27 am

Yeah we made sure that the capacitors went back in the same way they came out. Was done with high amount of care and by a professional.
At this stage I'm thinking if it's not the ECU, it's either going to be a Crank angle sensor, glow plug/s or glow plug relay, a possible drop in voltage in wiring, and relays. So it's in the shop with all of that on the check list from me, plus what they come up with it. If anything tho, It has consistently gotten worse. So if I had damaged the ecu, the whole car wouldn't work and/or other quirky things can happen to the car if the ecu has been damaged during a repair, however, after the repair, it was consistent and normal with how it always was. All ok.

The symptoms I'm having are consistent with a crank angle sensor failing, however the dash lights (no glow plugs
and engine light when ignition turned to on), makes me think wiring/ecu/relays etc. As for a fuse, a fuse either works or it doesn't. Not intermittent.

Another thing it did do at the time of failing starts, was make a scratching sound from behind the dash or towards relay box. Intermittently and coincidentally when the dash lights were failing. Kinda like a starving relay (if you've ever heard that before lol).
So hopefully it's something as simple as that.
In case it is an ecu failure, I just wanted to get the feelers out there soon as I can't imagine it'd be easy to find one 😅
Back to top Go down
View user profile
henso89

PostSubject: Re: I need an ECU   Thu Jul 06, 2017 10:31 am

As for compatibility with ecu's with other modles with the 1kzte motor, the fact the super customs have some many auxiliary functions like sun roofs, a/c's etc, a Hilux ecu just wouldn't cut it.
I do know of compatibility with other super customs from other years though.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
GPW
Hiace Master
Hiace Master

PostSubject: Re: I need an ECU   Thu Jul 06, 2017 10:51 am

henso89 wrote:
As for compatibility with ecu's with other modles with the 1kzte motor, the fact the super customs have some many auxiliary functions like sun roofs, a/c's etc, a Hilux ecu just wouldn't cut it.
I do know of compatibility with other super customs from other years though.

The moon roof has it's own computer, but the transmission ECU is linked to the engine ECU so it may differ.

The 'being dead for a few hours' makes me think you have a sensor or earthing issue. Hopefully the autoelectrician can trace it - make sure he's very familiar with the symptoms though.

At least a dead van should be easier to troubleshoot than an intermittent problem.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
henso89

PostSubject: Re: I need an ECU   Thu Jul 06, 2017 11:42 am

Yeah gave them all the info and showed them vids of all the symptoms. I'll post the results once I get a definitive answer Smile
Dan
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Hiace4wd
Hiace Master
Hiace Master

Number of posts : 648
Home City : Netherlands
Model and year : 1994 Toyota Hiace 4x4 DIY camper
Registration date : 2016-02-01

PostSubject: Re: I need an ECU   Thu Jul 06, 2017 1:59 pm

Well the ECU should clearly have a part number on it. And yes it has a relation the gearbox, but not sunroofs or anything.

If you throw the part number in toyodiy.com, you can clearly see which models have the same ECU, with which model years. (and they will also have automatic like yours)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
henso89

PostSubject: Re: I need an ECU   Fri Jul 07, 2017 12:25 am

The ECU number is 89661-26180.
I have already checked it out and looked and replaced caps that were sus (only 1 prong on 2 different caps, one from the top board and one from the bottom board on the ecu. If I could post pics I would). However this didn't rectify the start issue in the big pictures. Probably just saved a headache for another day down the track. I have also checked all fuses, battery and what relays I could pull out while I was on the side of the road (some were to stubborn to get out)
The distinct buzzing sound (what sounded like a starving relay) from behind the dash area is what I want to find now, it's the only noise that was consistent when it was having issues. It's dead now. So I've detailed to the auto electricians to check that.
Dan
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: I need an ECU   

Back to top Go down

I need an ECU
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum  :: Anything for sale or needed. (for the super custom blah blah) :: I need ...-
Jump to: