Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum

Anything Toyota Hiace related
HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  

Share | 

Original Panasonic premium entertainment system.

Go down 
Been here a while
Been here a while

Number of posts : 102
Home City : Forster, NSW Australia.
Model and year : 2WD 1996 SC Living Saloon with automatic turbo diesel 3.0lt 1KZ-TE.
Registration date : 2008-02-16

PostSubject: Original Panasonic premium entertainment system.   Tue Feb 26, 2008 12:40 pm

Hi there Smile

I've been having a play with the original premium entertainment system in my 97 SC since we got it recently. It had the HU and 12 stacker CD, 6.5" TFT TV (NTSC) screen in dash and the AVICS navigation system plus there was an auto toll collection system. The navigation is useless outside Japan, as is the toll collection and the TV here is PAL so no stations were available in good quality or colour. I fitted a converter to the FM aerial socket so the radio is fine. The 12 stacker works great. The AVICS and toll systems I removed and took out any wiring possible as well. There was an original Toyota alarm system in there too. That was already mostly disconnected so assuming it was stuffed, I just ripped it out too. No complications from it that way. We had an engine imobiliser fitted at purchase.

I've been looking at options to get TV going and as the Panasonic AVICS and navigation system was all integrated with the TV system, it has AV1 and AV2 inputs. I hooked up my portable CD burner/DVD player to it, set it to NTSC output and I get colour DVD playback crystal clear on the dash Very Happy .
Today I purchased a mini standard definition digital tv tuner which runs off 12v dc and has a wired remote ir sensor. I hooked it up loose (sitting in the console) and used an indoors rabbit ears antenna up on the dash to test it. Set the menu options and NTSC output. Now it has colour telly cheers

I'll have to sort an adaption for the existing rooftop antennas or replace them, but that's it. Just need to hide it under the dash area and fix it in. The Panasonic screen is pretty nice quality luckilly tongue .

With a little effort and patience sometimes you can get around problems and in-compatability to get a good result with little cost. I'll post up pics when I do the mounting and sort the antenna system.
After that it's the passive equaliser and amp plus some box speakers to expand the sound further. Not fitting a sub as it will get in the way . cyclops

Don't just rip out all the original Jap gear as sometimes it can be usefull Cool .
Back to top Go down
View user profile

Number of posts : 1117
Home City : Bristol
Registration date : 2007-01-15

PostSubject: Re: Original Panasonic premium entertainment system.   Tue Feb 26, 2008 2:57 pm

Good work fella.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Original Panasonic premium entertainment system.
Page 1 of 1