Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum

Anything Toyota Hiace related

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  

Share | 

Help needed! AC Condensor fan not working

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
RobertR

Number of posts : 5
Home City : Australia
Registration date : 2017-08-02

PostSubject: Help needed! AC Condensor fan not working   Wed Aug 02, 2017 4:01 am

Hello Hiace Fans,

Recently I bought a 2000 Toyota Hiace Commuter, its the 2.8L diesel (model LH125R).

Yesterday I got the AC system checked for leaks and  got it regassed, all seems well and the AC is nice and cold again. However the AC condensor fan is not turning on for some reason, meaning I cannot use the AC because of the risk of overheating the AC system.

I have checked all fuses, the relay and they seem to be in good order. However I did notice that there is no 12v coming through to the connector going ik tot the fan. The connector has 4 pins (white/blk, red/blk, blk/red, blue/white) splitting of into 2 pins for the fan and 2 leading somewhere else. The fan obviously had a ground wire (corresponding to white/blk stripe) and a supposedly positive wire (corresponding to a red/blk stripe wire).

Can anyone help me figure out why there is no power going to the fan?

P.s. It might be worth noting that the hiace die have a roof mounted AC unit above the driver and passenger seats (as the commuter type has) that had been removed by the previous owner.

Thanks in advance to anyone giving this a thought and helping out.

Regards, Robert
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Hiace4wd
Hiace Master
Hiace Master

Number of posts : 462
Home City : Netherlands
Model and year : 1994 Toyota Hiace 4x4 DIY camper
Registration date : 2016-02-01

PostSubject: Re: Help needed! AC Condensor fan not working   Wed Aug 02, 2017 9:31 am

Do you know if it is negative/ground or positive switched? If you assume it is positive switched, but it isn't then you may measure the wrong things.

The other two wires may go to a temperature switch / thermoswitch, that decides when to engage the fan. These kind of things are usually negative/ground switched (at least for electric radiator fans)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
RobertR

PostSubject: Re: Help needed! AC Condensor fan not working   Wed Aug 02, 2017 11:25 am

I reckon it is positively switched too, don't think there is any temperature sensor or anything involved either. It should just turn on when the AC is on, always.

I did check if the ground wire has a decent ground connection with a multimeter and that is all good. Problem is just no power coming through.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Hiace4wd
Hiace Master
Hiace Master

Number of posts : 462
Home City : Netherlands
Model and year : 1994 Toyota Hiace 4x4 DIY camper
Registration date : 2016-02-01

PostSubject: Re: Help needed! AC Condensor fan not working   Wed Aug 02, 2017 1:58 pm

Well then, how do you know the relay is working?
Is the relay making a connection when the AC is on?

Because then you only have to take a wire (with a fuse) from the battery or fusebox.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
RobertR

PostSubject: Re: Help needed! AC Condensor fan not working   Thu Aug 03, 2017 3:08 am

Because I can hear the relay 'tick', I also bypassed the relay but with the same result.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
RobertR

PostSubject: Re: Help needed! AC Condensor fan not working   Thu Aug 03, 2017 2:26 pm

Anyone got a wiring diagram for the Hiace Commuter (LH125R)?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
JT69
Not so new now
Not so new now

Number of posts : 60
Home City : Holmfirth Huddersfield Yorks
Model and year : 1996 3ltr turbo LWB super custom sat nav cruise fitted
Registration date : 2016-12-05

PostSubject: Re: Help needed! AC Condensor fan not working   Thu Aug 03, 2017 8:26 pm

Had simelar problems with mine relay ok after afew days head scratching found fuse was in wrong slot no names no pack drill.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
GPW
Hiace Master
Hiace Master

Number of posts : 449
Home City : Cambridge, UK
Model and year : Model: KD-KZH100G-MRPGT
Year: 1996
Colour: 4K1
Trim: FN42

Registration date : 2016-07-16

PostSubject: Re: Help needed! AC Condensor fan not working   Thu Aug 03, 2017 9:40 pm

Back to top Go down
View user profile
RobertR

PostSubject: Re: Help needed! AC Condensor fan not working   Sat Aug 05, 2017 5:37 am

@JT69, that sounds like a nice and easy fix. All my fuses seem to be in the correct spot though.

@GPW, thanks I will have a look
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Help needed! AC Condensor fan not working   

Back to top Go down

Help needed! AC Condensor fan not working
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1