Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum

Anything Toyota Hiace related

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  

Share | 

Help: need advice for a cooling sytem issue on 1KZ-TE

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Chesco

Number of posts : 4
Home City : Saint Malo
Registration date : 2017-09-13

PostSubject: Help: need advice for a cooling sytem issue on 1KZ-TE    Thu Sep 14, 2017 10:03 am

Hi everyone!

I would like to know your opinion regarding a problem I'm facing on the cooling system in my Super Custom 1994, the engine is the 3.0L Turbo Diesel (1KZ-TE).

It all started a few weeks ago when I noticed the coolant level was getting low too quickly.
I'm travelling around New Zealand with my Super Custom so driving hundreds of km per week.
I brought the van in a garage, a pressure test showed that the cooling system was holding the pressure well with no external leaks but the radiator cap did not hold the pressure, its sealing was worn out.
The mechanic put a new cap and I could continue my travel.

A few hundreds km later, I checked the coolant level by opening the radiator cap and could not see any coolant.
I toped up but same thing happened every time until a few days later I found a coolant puddle after starting the engine. There was a hole in a steel heater pipe that was slightly corroded on the outside.
Brought the van to a garage and had a rubber pipe fitted
in the corroded steel one.

Now a few hundred km after that, checked the engine room and was surprised to see coolant had leaked on the engine and a big rubber hose was clearly compressed, like the air had been vaccumed from the cooling system. After opening the radiator cap, a lot of air came in and the rubber hose went back to its normal size. But the problem recured every time I took a drive...
Here is a picture where the blue circle shows the compressed hose, the red circle shows where the coolant is leaking from and in orange the suspected problematic cap:

ins

I'm starting to think that all these problems could be connected as they occured really closed to each other.
I'm not an advanced mechanic but I thing this could be linked to the mechanic who could have replaced my faulty radiator cap by another that does not hold the same pressure, preventing the excess pressure in the system to be released and creating an excess pressure in the system (that would lead this rubber hose to be so compressed).

First, thank you if you took the time to read and if you have any opinion or advice regarding my problem, I would be really grateful.

Many thanks in advance!

François
Back to top Go down
View user profile
GPW
Hiace Master
Hiace Master

Number of posts : 473
Home City : Cambridge, UK
Model and year : Model: KD-KZH100G-MRPGT
Year: 1996
Colour: 4K1
Trim: FN42

Registration date : 2016-07-16

PostSubject: Re: Help: need advice for a cooling sytem issue on 1KZ-TE    Fri Sep 15, 2017 11:51 am

I would suggest you get a garage to analyse your coolant to see if there are signs of a head gasket issue.

In my view however a HG issue on the 1KZ is rare so it's likely to be another small leak somewhere. The problem with a small leak is that the pressure in the system is a little too low when running, so when you switch off and the engine cools the pressure doesn't drop back to atmospheric but drops below that to create a vacuum that squashes your pipes.

So get the correct Toyota Hiaca/Hilux 1KZ radiator cap and fix the leaks first.
Then if you still get a problem get the coolant analysed.
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
Chesco

PostSubject: Re: Help: need advice for a cooling sytem issue on 1KZ-TE    Fri Sep 15, 2017 10:42 pm

Thank you for your reply.

I thought about a head gasket too but no any symptom and no coolant loosing.
I called the mechanic who replaced the cap, he told me there is 3 possibilities:

1- Radiator Cap is faulty but I checked and it is the same pressure as the original one (0.9 Bar)
2- Problem with the Calorstat, told me to compare the temperature if the big upper radiator pipe and the low one
3- The overflow tube from the neck filler to the expansion tank could be blocked.

I checked the 3rd option, removed the little pipe from the expansion tank lid (where the coolant lever is really high) and blew in it (clear blue arrow) but I couldn't!

I guess I should feel air in the neck filler right ?

I took a look at the inside of the neck filler and despite having two little pipes connected to it, I could only see one hole (blue circle in the picture).
I'm not sure but I suspect there is a small hole (red circle in the picture) that should be there to let the coolant pass both ways right?
Previous owners probably just put water in it so there is a thin layer a sludge that I suspect to clog a nipple. I hesitate scratching it with a needle if it is just corrosion though.

Do you know if there should be a hole at the red circle spot, aligned with the upper small pipe?
The blue circle is aligned with the
lower of the two little pipes.

Thanks again for your help.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
GPW
Hiace Master
Hiace Master

PostSubject: Re: Help: need advice for a cooling sytem issue on 1KZ-TE    Fri Sep 15, 2017 10:58 pm

Interesting, I'm not sure of the details of the holes and the pipes, but if it was mine I'd be taking off the pipes and making sure the pipes and the metal holes are clear,

I think once you start cleaning the design will become apparent.

Looks like the right track though - no point in that pipe existing if it didn't do anything...

Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
JT69
Not so new now
Not so new now

Number of posts : 64
Home City : Holmfirth Huddersfield Yorks
Model and year : 1996 3ltr turbo LWB super custom sat nav cruise fitted
Registration date : 2016-12-05

PostSubject: Re: Help: need advice for a cooling sytem issue on 1KZ-TE    Sat Sep 16, 2017 1:34 pm

Chesco you are correct just had a good look at mine which is very clean like new with pink Toyota coolant if I were you I would flush the whole system properly clean the holes out and fill with Pink coolant no nead to pay Toyota prices Halfords do same coolant a fraction of there prices.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Chesco

PostSubject: Re: Help: need advice for a cooling sytem issue on 1KZ-TE    Sat Sep 16, 2017 11:31 pm

Thanks JT69, indeed I worked on it yesterday and it was like archaeology time!
Cleaned the hole and it is much better!

I just had a 20 minutes drive in town and the radiator hose was not compressed, good news Smile

I just saw two drops of coolant drip from the junction between the radiator hose and the neck filler, at the same spot where the coolant leaked when the hose was compressed (just below the clip that holds the hose).

Do you think I can slightly move upwards the hose and the clip to stop the very small leak?

Ouch I didn't know the original coolant was pink, I bought the van with green coolant so I thought it was the right one and as the service manual is in Japanese (yes it's been imported from Japan to NZ), I didn't notice.
This would explain all this sludge!
I have to replace the cambelt and water pump very soon, I'll ask for a good flush at the same time and put the original coolant.

Do you have the reference of the pink coolant you're talking about? Not sure I can find Halfords products in New Zealand.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
JT69
Not so new now
Not so new now

Number of posts : 64
Home City : Holmfirth Huddersfield Yorks
Model and year : 1996 3ltr turbo LWB super custom sat nav cruise fitted
Registration date : 2016-12-05

PostSubject: Re: Help: need advice for a cooling sytem issue on 1KZ-TE    Sun Sep 17, 2017 9:03 am

Sorry Chesco only just realised your in NZ not sure if aulternatives to Toyota coolant are available there the correct mixture is critical if you intend to keep a vehicle for long its about variuose metals and seal compositions and how they react to chemecals.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
GPW
Hiace Master
Hiace Master

PostSubject: Re: Help: need advice for a cooling sytem issue on 1KZ-TE    Sun Sep 17, 2017 9:51 am

Best just go to your local Toyota dealer for the coolant TBH.
Tell them the engine type, Hiluxs have that engine too so it will be available.
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
Chesco

PostSubject: Re: Help: need advice for a cooling sytem issue on 1KZ-TE    Mon Sep 18, 2017 5:39 am

Some news for those who might have the same issue someday.

Since I couldn't stop fearing that I had cracked head, I went to a garage where a TK test and pressure test have been done.

So happy to learn that there was no blown head gasket/cracked cylinder head and no CO2 in the coolant, this engine is rock solid Very Happy

The pressure test has shown there are some really small holes in the neck filler because of the corrosion (at the level where the lower seal of the radiator cap is in contact with the neck filler, where there is the hole I cleaned), there is a little bit of coolant leaking through those.

So in the end, I just have to replace the neck filler, less expansive than it could have been!

I think if you really take care of the cooling system and engine oil change in due time, this engine is really reliable.
Almost 300K km and still driving so good.

Thank you to those who took the time to read and reply!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Help: need advice for a cooling sytem issue on 1KZ-TE    

Back to top Go down

Help: need advice for a cooling sytem issue on 1KZ-TE
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1