Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum

Anything Toyota Hiace related

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  

Share | 

Suspention knock

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
JT69
Not so new now
Not so new now

Number of posts : 75
Home City : Holmfirth Huddersfield Yorks
Model and year : 1996 3ltr turbo LWB super custom sat nav cruise fitted
Registration date : 2016-12-05

PostSubject: Suspention knock   Sun Oct 01, 2017 8:26 pm

Anoying knock on front suspention on uneven road surface especialy when goeing over speed bumps anyone got the same problem and or solutions please.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
MalL
Not so new now
Not so new now

Number of posts : 84
Home City : Brisbane
Model and year : LH119 1991
Registration date : 2010-11-27

PostSubject: Re: Suspention knock   Mon Oct 02, 2017 3:14 am

I had that a while back, found to be a broken bracket holding the (I think) anti-sway bar. A replacement bracket couldn't be found but a local steel working place was able to make a copy as it's only mild steel.
I guess there are plenty of other things that could cause it though.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Hiace4wd
Hiace Master
Hiace Master

Number of posts : 532
Home City : Netherlands
Model and year : 1994 Toyota Hiace 4x4 DIY camper
Registration date : 2016-02-01

PostSubject: Re: Suspention knock   Mon Oct 02, 2017 10:24 am

Yeah always check the stabilizer bar (anti-roll anti sway bar) first. Check the links, the connections, and the big rubbers holding the bar.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
JT69
Not so new now
Not so new now

Number of posts : 75
Home City : Holmfirth Huddersfield Yorks
Model and year : 1996 3ltr turbo LWB super custom sat nav cruise fitted
Registration date : 2016-12-05

PostSubject: Re: Suspention knock   Tue Oct 03, 2017 12:15 pm

Checked all bushes and brackets on suspention ball joints etc but no movement on any shocks and bushes are new the knock just sounds like tortion bars lifting of pivot points and droping back on they are not captive at the adjustment end could they possibly need adjusting????.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
GPW
Hiace Master
Hiace Master

Number of posts : 519
Home City : Cambridge, UK
Model and year : Model: KD-KZH100G-MRPGT
Year: 1996
Colour: 4K1
Trim: FN42

Registration date : 2016-07-16

PostSubject: Re: Suspention knock   Tue Oct 03, 2017 2:10 pm

JT69 wrote:
Checked all bushes and brackets on suspention ball joints etc but no movement on any shocks and bushes are new the knock just sounds like tortion bars lifting of pivot points and droping back on they are not captive at the adjustment end could they possibly need adjusting????.

The torsion bars will be pressing with great force on all bearing surfaces all the time - they can't rattle unless you completely unload them.
Can be difficult to track down these things - could even be a loose brake backplate.

I did have a difficult to track rear track rod rattle on my car a few years ago - it only showed itself when I pulled the road wheel about on a particular axis - like 10 to 5 on a clock, 3:15 and 12:30 for instance were silent.

Also check the shocks are bolted in nice and tight and any rod ends are not loose - had a loose front tiebar on a Honda, sounded like it was falling to bits on cobbles but it just needed tightening down a bit.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Suspention knock   

Back to top Go down

Suspention knock
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum  :: Hiace Mechanical Matters :: GREASE MONKEY !!! (sorry couldnt resist its a BF2142 thing) :: Members guides to fixing problems :: Members guides to fixing problems-
Jump to: