Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum

Anything Toyota Hiace related

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  

Share | 

Do you idle or start/stop every time?

Go down 
AuthorMessage
vanmobile
Not so new now
Not so new now

Number of posts : 57
Home City : North America
Model and year : 1992 3L
Registration date : 2016-04-21

PostSubject: Do you idle or start/stop every time?   Thu Dec 07, 2017 4:47 am

Do you idle every time you pull over? Do the glow plugs wear out fast by starting and stopping the engine all the time? Let's say 10-15 times a day you have to pull over for about 10-15 minutes each time. That's hours of idling! I've caught myself doing that driving down the California coast to take in the views always idle because I worry about wearing out glow plugs. Does idling consume a lot of diesel? What do you do?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Hiace4wd
Hiace Master
Hiace Master

Number of posts : 652
Home City : Netherlands
Model and year : 1994 Toyota Hiace 4x4 DIY camper
Registration date : 2016-02-01

PostSubject: Re: Do you idle or start/stop every time?   Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:19 am

There will be some extra wear on some stuff like the glow plugs or the glow relay. But I don't think it will matter much.

Because if you stopped for 15 minutes, I think the engine is still warm and the glow plugs might not even be engaged. Although probably they will be turned on for something like 2 seconds or so.

However in general, these are simple replaceable parts. Even if the starter engine would wear out a bit earlier than normal it is not the hardest thing in the world.
All this idling of the engine might be worse if it happens on a daily basis. This may sound stupid, but an engine is not really build for idling. That is why some people say it may cause extra wear.

Anyway, just turn it off and enjoy the view without diesel noise in the background.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
vanmobile
Not so new now
Not so new now

PostSubject: Re: Do you idle or start/stop every time?   Fri Dec 08, 2017 12:31 am

I ask because hiace is the mini bus of the world some probably running almost all day and night, idling, waiting for passengers etc. Always going. Also I see diesel trucks idling for hours at work, semis and pickups, and usually they always pick a diesel if they know they are going to be idling a lot, to run A.C. or heating all day. I wonder how much fuel a 3L engine consumes.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Hiace4wd
Hiace Master
Hiace Master

PostSubject: Re: Do you idle or start/stop every time?   Fri Dec 08, 2017 6:52 am

They all chose diesel because it is fuel efficient, also when idling. But still, I think you easily use more than 1 liter per hour while idling. A/C could be an argument if you have that, but usually the A/C is quite strong and has the van cold again in a few minutes driving.

I have seen it many places, all this idling. And it is a disgrace if you ask me. I've been to Nepal, and for them it is superstition. They actually run their buses and stuff for like 3 times a long period. Because they want to be sure it works when the customers come (like tourist for one of those big buses).
I can tell you, you don't want to be in that same parkinglot at those times.

An engine is not made for idling, and it will just start again. You gotta have some faith in the technology Razz
Back to top Go down
View user profile
vanmobile
Not so new now
Not so new now

PostSubject: Re: Do you idle or start/stop every time?   Fri Dec 08, 2017 2:58 pm

I am in Texas right now it's quite interesting people have this habit of running their big trucks all day even if they go indoors for a while it seems like trucks are always idling here, gasoline and diesel.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Hiace4wd
Hiace Master
Hiace Master

PostSubject: Re: Do you idle or start/stop every time?   Fri Dec 08, 2017 3:58 pm

Haha they must have no faith in their cars.

Only reasons to keep a car idling is when it is -40 degrees Celcius outside, like northern Siberia or something.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
GPW
Hiace Master
Hiace Master

Number of posts : 689
Home City : Cambridge, UK
Model and year : Model: KD-KZH100G-MRPGT
Year: 1996
Colour: 4K1
Trim: FN42

Registration date : 2016-07-16

PostSubject: Re: Do you idle or start/stop every time?   Fri Dec 08, 2017 11:37 pm

IMO the silence is worth the restart - a warn diesel should start easily anyway - so a vote for start/stop Smile

Also you don't poison yourself (or anyone else) with carcinogenic combustion byproducts so it's a win-win.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
nikalex
Not so new now
Not so new now

Number of posts : 22
Home City : Vancouver BC Canada
Model and year : 1991 Super Custom
3L diesel
Automatic
4WD
2" lift
30" x 9.50-15 BFG All Terrain tires
4 man Roof Top Tent
Registration date : 2016-04-15

PostSubject: Re: Do you idle or start/stop every time?   Wed Dec 13, 2017 7:50 pm

As Hiace4WD said, shut 'er down.
A starter is relatively cheap and easy to replace if needed.
I carry a spare new starter but really only because in Canada and the USA these Hiaces are pretty rare unfortunately. Only available on the gray market.
I do carry a lot of spare parts because of the relative rarity of these vans over here. (Starter, alternator, vacuum pump, glow plugs, all filters, all hoses, all belts etc.) People might think I am crazy but even if I never have to use them I am glad to have them.

The last thing I want to hear when pulled over on the Oregon or California coast is my diesel engine and I like the sound of diesel engines....but I like the sound of the ocean waves better.
(-;

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ace MM
Not so new now
Not so new now

Number of posts : 49
Home City : California USA
Model and year : 1990 Super Custom 4WD Diesel LH107
Registration date : 2016-10-12

PostSubject: Re: Do you idle or start/stop every time?   Thu Dec 14, 2017 7:22 am

If I stop for just a few minutes, I'll idle. Otherwise I shut it down.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
vanmobile
Not so new now
Not so new now

PostSubject: Re: Do you idle or start/stop every time?   Tue Dec 19, 2017 3:19 pm

Awesome. Thanks for your input guys!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Do you idle or start/stop every time?   

Back to top Go down

Do you idle or start/stop every time?
Page 1 of 1