Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum

Anything Toyota Hiace related

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  

Share | 

Transmission cooler - blank off or replace radiator

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Lovethatvan

Number of posts : 5
Home City : Wellington
Registration date : 2017-12-13

PostSubject: Transmission cooler - blank off or replace radiator    Sat Dec 30, 2017 8:59 am

Hey there, Iím looking for help with my auto transmission.Itís a 1kz-te. So I have milky pink brown atf and a transmission that after 20 mins driving the o/d light flashes intermittently, then the vehicle doesnít upshift correctly (so coming to a standstill at lights and then starting again it feels like itís in third gear, but I can manually select gear and that works fine. Iíve done a partial change, filter and gasket, and then another partial change, second time i took more notice of the colour of the atf - I expected clear red , but it was a bit like what they call pepto bismal. So Iím thinking, it could be the radiator leaking into the trans cooler - I think thatís how it works? Correct me please. So Iím hoping itís possible to fit an aftermarket trans cooler and blank off the trans pipes into the radiator. Has anyone done this or is it not possible on these engines? Thanks for any replies
Back to top Go down
View user profile
JT69
Not so new now
Not so new now

Number of posts : 89
Home City : Holmfirth Huddersfield Yorks
Model and year : 1996 3ltr turbo LWB super custom sat nav cruise fitted
Registration date : 2016-12-05

PostSubject: Re: Transmission cooler - blank off or replace radiator    Sat Dec 30, 2017 9:12 am

Hi There your dead wright it will be the Rad cooler but do not fit aftermarket cooler the rad itselfe is probably near the end of its life just replace the rad with oe part after all its over 20 years old. The cooler!! does more than cool the ATF it keeps it at the correct operating temp and dont forget to change oil a few times till its clear ( you can only get about 1/3 out at a time via the sump plug).
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Lovethatvan

Number of posts : 5
Home City : Wellington
Registration date : 2017-12-13

PostSubject: Re: Transmission cooler - blank off or replace radiator    Sat Dec 30, 2017 9:23 am

Thanks for suck a quick answer. I found a listing https://preview.trademe.co.nz/motors/car-parts-accessories/toyota/radiators/1502369958 it says in the ad that itís the for the dual radiator model, can you tell me where am I looking for a possible second radiator?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
JT69
Not so new now
Not so new now

PostSubject: Re: Transmission cooler - blank off or replace radiator    Sat Dec 30, 2017 6:15 pm

Hi again will stick my head under mine tomorrow (second rad possible depends on exact model) I have the 1KZTE 132 camper.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
GPW
Hiace Master
Hiace Master

Number of posts : 529
Home City : Cambridge, UK
Model and year : Model: KD-KZH100G-MRPGT
Year: 1996
Colour: 4K1
Trim: FN42

Registration date : 2016-07-16

PostSubject: Re: Transmission cooler - blank off or replace radiator    Sun Dec 31, 2017 7:49 pm

If I were you I'd work out how to get the coolant out of the AT box ASAP.

Usually one wouldn't flush an AT box but coolant can tend to eat the internal bearings so in this case I'd make an exception and do whatever it takes to get the coolant out as soon as you can.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
JT69
Not so new now
Not so new now

PostSubject: Re: Transmission cooler - blank off or replace radiator    Mon Jan 01, 2018 1:38 pm

Hi again my SC has 2 rads 1 oil cooler seperate to rads plus air con thing so a bit crowded under there and GPW is dead write get the coolant out of the auto box asp, there was a write up on Land cruiser forum on removeing cooler pipes and circulateing new oil in and old oil out to do a total oil flush did this on my Land cruiser it worked perfectly . Good luck
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Transmission cooler - blank off or replace radiator    

Back to top Go down

Transmission cooler - blank off or replace radiator
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1