Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum

Anything Toyota Hiace related

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  

Share | 

91 SCL in Florida

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
RivercityHiace

Number of posts : 2
Home City : Jacksonville, FL
Model and year : Super Custom Limited 1991
Registration date : 2018-01-05

PostSubject: 91 SCL in Florida   Sun Jan 07, 2018 4:58 pm

Hey All!
This past August I purchased a 1991 JDM Super Custom Limited 2.4L EFI Turbo Diesel with just over 55k miles.

I feel pretty lucky in this find. All original interior, trim and electronics, including the original stereo head unit, zero rust on the body or underside, and zero body damage.

The only things currently not functioning is a small list including some of the rear power curtains, the front heater blows zero heat (although the rear blows fine), and there's a small yet persistent oil leak from somewhere in the motor/trans.

I'm having a hell of a time finding information on my motor and vehicle. Took me a little while to realize I didn't have the 2RZ-E motor but instead the 2L-TE motor that was specific to the Japan market. I found a repair manual for the 2RZ-E which has helped me troubleshoot my small problems thus far, but no luck finding a manual specific to 2L-TE.

Being my first diesel, I'm curious what to expect out of the motor and the sort of MPG's are common with a motor this size. It handles the highway fairly well, it'll easily cruise @ 70-75mph (112-120kmh) and get 19 MPG, but tops out a little over 83mph (+130kmh) while still around 3000rpm. Am I pushing this 4 cylinder too hard?  Should I be getting better mileage? I don't want to kill this motor trying to keep up on american highways.

Here it is, my SCL Ace, hopefully the images work.

Thanks for lookin!
JJ
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Hiace4wd
Hiace Master
Hiace Master

Number of posts : 563
Home City : Netherlands
Model and year : 1994 Toyota Hiace 4x4 DIY camper
Registration date : 2016-02-01

PostSubject: Re: 91 SCL in Florida   Mon Jan 08, 2018 12:24 pm

It looks nice! I have the very simple version of this engine, no computer no turbo.
I guess sticking around 110km/h should be fine, but 120km/h and faster might heat things up too much on the long run. Of course it is no problem to run at a high speed for a couple of minutes.
Also, if you want to get more than 19mpg then you should definitely drive slower. I think it can do better, but it is just about the speed. I also get that kind of numbers, but my engine is much less powerful.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Hiace4wd
Hiace Master
Hiace Master

Number of posts : 563
Home City : Netherlands
Model and year : 1994 Toyota Hiace 4x4 DIY camper
Registration date : 2016-02-01

PostSubject: Re: 91 SCL in Florida   Tue Jan 09, 2018 10:15 am

By the way, the front heater working poorly can only be three things:

- Air in the system/heater or simply too low coolant level
- Sludge/dirt in the heater
- Not opening properly

That last one can be easily checked. Have someone sit in the car shoving the heat control from hot to cold and back. Go under the car, and check right behind the front bumper, there are two coolant lines going up, and there you will see the metal cable from the dashboard. See if it moves.

I had sludge / dirt build up in the heater. I left the heater in the dashboard, I just put the a garden hose on of the coolant lines going to the heater. And have the other end dropping in a bucket.
Make sure to open the heater, and then open the garden hose tap at full power. A lot of brown stuff came out. Just stop when clear water is coming out.
After that is working perfectly again.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
RivercityHiace

Number of posts : 2
Home City : Jacksonville, FL
Model and year : Super Custom Limited 1991
Registration date : 2018-01-05

PostSubject: Re: 91 SCL in Florida   Sat Jan 13, 2018 7:04 am

Hiace4wd wrote:
By the way, the front heater working poorly can only be three things:

- Air in the system/heater or simply too low coolant level
- Sludge/dirt in the heater
- Not opening properly

That last one can be easily checked. Have someone sit in the car shoving the heat control from hot to cold and back. Go under the car, and check right behind the front bumper, there are two coolant lines going up, and there you will see the metal cable from the dashboard. See if it moves.

I've been trying to figure how to check that. All the threads I've found have said what the problem could be, but no one has yet to mention how to inspect it. Thanks for saving me a few hours of awkward gawking under my new van!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 91 SCL in Florida   

Back to top Go down

91 SCL in Florida
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1