Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum

Anything Toyota Hiace related

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  

Share | 

1995 super custom overheating!

Go down 
AuthorMessage
RJefferies94

Number of posts : 12
Home City : Sydney
Registration date : 2018-02-11

PostSubject: 1995 super custom overheating!   Sun Feb 11, 2018 12:20 am

Hey everyone,

So I came to sunny Australia and bought a beautiful Toyota Hiace... or so I thought. First trip out of Sydney and we overheat on the motorway. So I ran a load of tests and had it looked at.. Block tested the head gasket - seemed fine. Replaced the thermostat as there wasnít one in there and replaced the water pump.

So next trip out of Sydney...overheats again!!!! Weíre fine running around the city but when I take it 100kmís per hour or more and drive for an extended period of time Iím met with this problem.

Now the previous owner said it had a brand new radiator as she had overheating problems but never produced the invoice so Iím thinking iíll Start by flushing the radiator and seeing if itís blocked or leaking and potentially test the head gasket again?

Any help would be very much appreciated. Cheers guys!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Hiace4wd
Hiace Master
Hiace Master

Number of posts : 658
Home City : Netherlands
Model and year : 1994 Toyota Hiace 4x4 DIY camper
Registration date : 2016-02-01

PostSubject: Re: 1995 super custom overheating!   Sun Feb 11, 2018 6:45 am

Which engine does it have?

If the radiator was replaced you should see it, it should look very good.

It sounds like you did a lot of things already but you did not check the visco fan. That may not be working at all.

Also, when you drain the coolant , is there dirt in there? That could clog the radiator.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
RJefferies94

PostSubject: Re: 1995 super custom overheating!   Sun Feb 11, 2018 10:48 am

Itís the 1KZ-TE engine.

Ok great Iíll check the fan! Is there a certain way in which it can be checked? Iíll be draining the coolant tomorrow so will post back on here once I have.

Thanks mate, appreciate the help
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Hiace4wd
Hiace Master
Hiace Master

PostSubject: Re: 1995 super custom overheating!   Sun Feb 11, 2018 10:54 am

Ok. And check how the radiator is. Mine was replaced and it is easy to see compared to an old one. There is a drain plug on the left front bottom of the radiator, when in front of car. Also check for floating oil layers.

The visco fan should be hearable when it engages , like it can one the highway. It will not engage the whole time but it should at least before overheating. There is actually a way to replace the fluid of the visco van. You can find this on google, visco fan oil replacement.
Or you could replace the whole fan.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
RJefferies94

PostSubject: Re: 1995 super custom overheating!   Sun Feb 11, 2018 11:05 am

Ok will do.

Iíll let you know how I get on, thanks again!

The visco fan being the large radiator fan mounted to the engine?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Hiace4wd
Hiace Master
Hiace Master

PostSubject: Re: 1995 super custom overheating!   Sun Feb 11, 2018 11:26 am

Yeah mounted on water pump
Back to top Go down
View user profile
RJefferies94

PostSubject: Re: 1995 super custom overheating!   Sun Feb 11, 2018 11:29 am

Cool, will check it ASAP. Iím also reading a lot about an electrical fan which is designed to cool the lower radiator? This was on the 1998 model so not sure if it would apply to the 1995 version.

Thanks
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Hiace4wd
Hiace Master
Hiace Master

PostSubject: Re: 1995 super custom overheating!   Sun Feb 11, 2018 11:48 am

Oh yeah, yours might have extra electric fans. Can you give me the model code? It is under engine cover on wheel arch, vin plate. Something like kzh100-xxxxxx
Back to top Go down
View user profile
RJefferies94

PostSubject: Re: 1995 super custom overheating!   Fri Feb 16, 2018 9:06 am

6U90KZH1061019386

So Iíve checked the visco fan, re-tested the head gasket and been in contact with the guy who unblocked the radiators 18 months ago. Everyone is stumped! Iím going to run a coolant detergent through the system on Sunday hopefully and clear any debris that shouldnít be in there.

Have you ever heard of overheating problems due to load? We have kitted out the back as a camper with probably 250kgs of wood. Donít see why this would be a problem but is worth considering at this point.

Do you also know where these extra fans would be located.

Thanks so much!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Hiace4wd
Hiace Master
Hiace Master

PostSubject: Re: 1995 super custom overheating!   Fri Feb 16, 2018 9:49 am

What you mean by unblocked the radiator? Did they try to clean it or was it actually really replaced?

My radiator was clogged so bad that clean wouldn't have helped, in fact we didn't even try.
If you have those handheld infrared temperature meters you can see major differences.

How have you checked the visco fan? Do you know if it is running before or during overheating?
It always runs quite slowly, but it should pickup speed when things get a bit hotter (you can hear it hum from the seat, or at least in our van)

Edit: And 250kg is nothing. The vans can take 1000kg, depending a bit on the type. I had the van loaded up to the max once (didn't measure it, but it was very clear it was loaded to or over the max) and had to take one of the steepest highway inclines here, and it didn't overheat.
Okay, I do have different engine, and without turbo, but still.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
RJefferies94

PostSubject: Re: 1995 super custom overheating!   Fri Feb 16, 2018 11:31 am

The previous owner had the two radiators services and the second radiator on the bottom is a newer one. I have heard about the thermometers, I will get one and test the radiator for cool patches.

My mechanic came out and basically stopped it whilst it was spinning, then to check the clutch let it go and saw if it ran back to speed quickly. It seemed fine, he said it would ideally give a little more resistance when the engine is cold but he doesnít see it to be a major cause for concern. I will need to test it whilst driving high speed, can I just listen out for it? I figured the load would be fine.. just thought Iíd check.

Anything else we havenít tested or thought of? Quickly running out of ideas!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Hiace4wd
Hiace Master
Hiace Master

PostSubject: Re: 1995 super custom overheating!   Fri Feb 16, 2018 12:31 pm

Well, our van is less powerful, so I really notice when the fan kicks in. It actually consumes some horsepower.
And I hear it. But you have a more powerful van, maybe more insulation. Still I would think you should notice it.

Typically when I drive highway at 110km/h or something, but then make a step at a resting place (I don't hear the visco van at this point), have a break, get in, turn the engine on again, it usually already engages the visco fan right away (because of warmer coolant or something). And then you can really hear it, because you don't have the driving noise.

You could also temporarily fix the visco van, by putting a screw through it, or maybe a less destructive way.
You can also refresh the oil inside, or put too much of it on purpose, so it engages earlier or all the time.
Still we cannot be sure that the visco fan is the issue.
However, it should be noticeable in my opinion. And the fact that you never noticed it doesn't sound good to me.

Small temperature differences in the radiator can always be there, but I remember my radiator being clogged, there were parts that were 80 degrees celcius and parts that were 30 degrees celcius, so clearly a lot of problems in there.
You have to measure really quick after stopping though. If you let it coast coming from the highway, the radiator already cooled down.

Since the story about the radiator is not really clear, nor the fan, I would think it is either one of those.
This is assuming, that there is nothing wrong inside your engine.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Hiace4wd
Hiace Master
Hiace Master

PostSubject: Re: 1995 super custom overheating!   Fri Feb 16, 2018 12:40 pm

This guy explains it while having the same engine:
https://hiluxsurf.co.uk/forum/hilux-surf-forums-technical/-3-0-turbo-diesel/71891-viscous-fan-oil-replacement?p=1068995#post1068995

Okay he mentions towing, but he is in UK, not in Australia. And people in the thread say that in Australia they want to use thicker oil to make it go sooner.

Anyway, you also have an electric fan on the horizontal second fan, which is combined with the AC I think? So maybe you should have different effect when either disabling or enabling AC (maybe enabling AC is a workaround to enable the electric fan)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
RJefferies94

PostSubject: Re: 1995 super custom overheating!   Fri Feb 16, 2018 11:48 pm

Just checked the link out. Seems as though I may get this new fan clutch fitted anyway due to having the part here already and also being on a timeline.

Could be a different difficult getting a reading shortly after motorway driving... will come up with a solution Iím sure. May just have to test it at operating temperature first and see if that chucks out any interesting numbers. Iíll have a fiddle with the AC and go from there! Would you recommend removing the radiators and running a hose through them to check for blockages?

Thanks
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Hiace4wd
Hiace Master
Hiace Master

PostSubject: Re: 1995 super custom overheating!   Sat Feb 17, 2018 9:22 am

Yes that is what I mentioned earlier. Did you see some dirt when you drained the radiators? You can always put a hose in at full power. Disconnect the big hoses and check for remainders of dirt.

You can also try the fan first, as it is easier.

Still think it is one of those two as said before.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
RJefferies94

PostSubject: Re: 1995 super custom overheating!   Sat Feb 17, 2018 9:25 am

The radiators weíre drained by the chap who serviced them for the girl who owned the van before. Will drain them tomorrow anyhow and see what is happening.

I may try and get the fan done tomorrow aswell as it is then another thing scratched off the list.

Will let you know what we find in the radiators!!

Cheers
Back to top Go down
View user profile
RJefferies94

PostSubject: Re: 1995 super custom overheating!   Wed Feb 21, 2018 11:11 am

So the saga continues..

We seemed to have solved the issue. I fitted the new fan clutch and drained the radiators, ran a detergent and drained/refilled. The radiators were clean but I was blown away by how much noises it was due to the fan clutch being new. I definitely see what you meant when you said Iíd hear it.

Took her for a drive in the National Park got to highway speeds, took it up and down some super steep hills and everything was absolutely fine! We thought we had solved the issue.

Only for it to overheat again this afternoon! Seemingly because the fan started to only engage up to a certain RPM, then cut out and span at the same speed as it would at idle. Is there a possibility it was a dud fan? It was not bought from Toyota

Thanks
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Hiace4wd
Hiace Master
Hiace Master

PostSubject: Re: 1995 super custom overheating!   Wed Feb 21, 2018 11:57 am

Not sure, but I would take it back to the seller.

Anyway, it really seems like you have confirmed that the fan is the issue here.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
GPW
Hiace Master
Hiace Master

Number of posts : 693
Home City : Cambridge, UK
Model and year : Model: KD-KZH100G-MRPGT
Year: 1996
Colour: 4K1
Trim: FN42

Registration date : 2016-07-16

PostSubject: Re: 1995 super custom overheating!   Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:38 pm

It's possible that a Hilux with the same engine has the same fan, and Hilux parts are much more available.
For instance:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=m570.l1313&_nkw=hilux+fan&_sacat=0
Back to top Go down
View user profile
RJefferies94

PostSubject: Re: 1995 super custom overheating!   Thu Feb 22, 2018 2:24 am

Thanks guys,

Have contacted the company and they have re-issued a new fan clutch. Will keep you posted!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 1995 super custom overheating!   

Back to top Go down

1995 super custom overheating!
Page 1 of 1