Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum

Anything Toyota Hiace related

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  

Share | 

Cruising Cabins

Go down 
AuthorMessage
newdriver

Number of posts : 3
Home City : Hope BC
Model and year : '91 Toyota Hiace Super Custom Cruising Cabin
Registration date : 2018-02-18

PostSubject: Cruising Cabins   Tue Feb 20, 2018 7:28 pm

Howdy, I just recently purchased a '91 Toyota Hiace Super Custom Cruising Cabin. It is still in good shape but there are projects I would like to do on it. Does anyone on here have experience with Cruising Cabins? I was hoping to replace the canvas for the pop-top but it seems like a needle in a haystack to find a replacement canvas- might have to make my own. Also, I am looking for an electric diagram for the cruising cabin, specifically the set of buttons beside the sink and where the van plug in leads to? Any help is appreciated and I am happy to find this community!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Andonic
Not so new now
Not so new now

Number of posts : 26
Home City : London
Model and year : Cruising Cabin 1991 pop top selectable 4WD 2.8 Diesel
Registration date : 2018-01-25

PostSubject: Re: Cruising Cabins   Thu Apr 05, 2018 5:48 pm

Hi there newdriver and welcome. I'm fairly new here too but reading through all the forum posts gives a wealth of information. Sounds like we have more or less the same vehicle (91 pop top cruising cabin). Mine is 2.7 litre diesel automatic selectable 4WD. Anyway I don't think there are any wiring diagrams for the "house" electrics as these are all custom made. Mine only work when the engine is running so that is the next job to sort out. No idea why they don't run off the leisure battery.

Why do you need to replace the canvas upstairs?

Back to top Go down
View user profile
newdriver

Number of posts : 3
Home City : Hope BC
Model and year : '91 Toyota Hiace Super Custom Cruising Cabin
Registration date : 2018-02-18

PostSubject: Re: Cruising Cabins   Thu Apr 05, 2018 6:35 pm

Howdy, thanks for the response. It does sound like we have similar vehicles, mine is just a 2WD but beyond that. Fortunately the previous owner hooked my electrical up to the extra battery which also has a solar panel. I am just going to have to try and follow all the wires to figure out which switch activates what! My canvas is old and blotchy. Its hard to tell if its mold or dirt, but it needs replacing. From what I can tell its hard to give these a deep clean without ruining the waterproofing. On top of that it has some holes and I would like one that has windows on all three sides. Good times!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
cornishpasty

Number of posts : 11
Home City : truro
Model and year : 1994 hiace custom 4wd

Registration date : 2012-02-04

PostSubject: Re: Cruising Cabins   Sat May 19, 2018 7:49 pm

Hi both, glad you are enjoying your campers,I am a bit rusty on the details as although I have had mine 10 years its been parked up for the last two or three. Assuming nothing has been messed with from factory set up, The switch panel, should have one switch a different colour, (yellow I think that turns on the power to the rest of the (red ?) switches, it should work off leisure battery and the 110v mains input used in Japan via the inbuilt transformer and charger (funny metal plug socket in leisure battery locker ), I converted mine to 240 with a new uk spec transformer/charger (from factory its hidden under the long cupboard beside the rear seats and a sod to get to) but kept the same switch operation. Once the different colour switch is on the others are kitchen light, rear light  (on the wardrobe) water pump and fridge (I think that's all of them)
If it doesn't work unless engine is running either fuse gone (the plastic strip below the switches lifts off, from memory, fuse for each switch,) or you leisure battery is toast and its pulling from alternator to power when engine running,
The electric only fridge is a PITA and if you set it high it will run your leisure battery down to flat very quickly (3-4 hours)
great vehicle been all over with it and would jump in it tomorrow and go anywhere, well after 4 new tyres the current ones are perished with near new tread Sad and a new battery, bought a b***** caravan because we needed more room for my daughter, haven't been on this forum for a long time but just kicking around getting a LWB hightop hiace camper and ditching the wobble box and my beloved cruising cabin.
Hope this helps
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Cruising Cabins   

Back to top Go down

Cruising Cabins
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum  :: General-
Jump to: