Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum

Anything Toyota Hiace related

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  

Share | 

House electrics - where to start?

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Andonic
Not so new now
Not so new now

Number of posts : 25
Home City : London
Model and year : Cruising Cabin 1991 pop top selectable 4WD 2.8 Diesel
Registration date : 2018-01-25

PostSubject: House electrics - where to start?   Thu Apr 05, 2018 6:00 pm

The interior lights and fridge on my 1991 Cruising Cabin all work fine - but only when the engine is running! Aparently this is related to an emergency repair done before I bought the vehicle. I don't know where to start though. I have a multimeter but not that sure what I am supposed to do with it (sorry). THe leisure battery shows 12.7 volts, and all seems to be wired up fine as far as I can tell, and the wiring all looks in great condition. (Leisure battery is in the compartment outside behind the drivers door, where some SCs have their waste water tanks). I understand it would be a good idea to use a battery to battery charging system to keep the leisure battery charged rather than straight off the alternator. However before getting that fitted I would like to know why the House electrics only come on when the engine is running. Any clues about where to start would be much appreciated
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Hiace4wd
Hiace Master
Hiace Master

Number of posts : 652
Home City : Netherlands
Model and year : 1994 Toyota Hiace 4x4 DIY camper
Registration date : 2016-02-01

PostSubject: Re: House electrics - where to start?   Thu Apr 05, 2018 9:20 pm

What kind of fridge? Most fridges that also run on gas are very inefficient and will drain the battery fast when engine is not running. Or you mean it also doesnt work on the gas bottle? Or is it a compressor fridge?
The other stuff should work with the leisure battery because that is what it is for.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Andonic
Not so new now
Not so new now

PostSubject: Re: House electrics - where to start?   Fri Apr 06, 2018 12:09 pm

It's an electric fridge. None of the house electrics (Fridge, interior lights) seem to be working on the leisure battery although I can't see why not. They all work only when the engine is running. Even if the ignition switch is on but engine not running nothing works.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
GPW
Hiace Master
Hiace Master

Number of posts : 689
Home City : Cambridge, UK
Model and year : Model: KD-KZH100G-MRPGT
Year: 1996
Colour: 4K1
Trim: FN42

Registration date : 2016-07-16

PostSubject: Re: House electrics - where to start?   Sat Apr 07, 2018 10:11 am

You need to use a multimeter or better a automotive lamp tester:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Heavy-Duty-Car-Van-Electrical-Circuit-Tester-Probe-6V-12V-DC-Test-Lamp-Light/121957314547

to find out where the voltage from the leisure battery stops getting to the fridge etc.
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
Andonic
Not so new now
Not so new now

PostSubject: House electrics sorted   Tue Jun 19, 2018 11:16 am

So the problem was teh fusible links going to the leisure battery. Now replaced with nice new fuses instead and everything works fine. If anyone needs a good campervan eectrician in South Liondon I was really pleased with Electrum Auto Electrics
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: House electrics - where to start?   

Back to top Go down

House electrics - where to start?
Page 1 of 1