Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum

Anything Toyota Hiace related

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  

Share | 

Uprated shock absorbers

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Hiace4wd
Hiace Master
Hiace Master

Number of posts : 658
Home City : Netherlands
Model and year : 1994 Toyota Hiace 4x4 DIY camper
Registration date : 2016-02-01

PostSubject: Uprated shock absorbers   Wed May 02, 2018 2:34 pm

Hi all,

This is at least for the type of Hiace with leaf suspension, situation may be different for the one with coil springs. (but then front shock absorbers are probably the same)

I found out that you can get better shock absorbers as a direct replacement. Two choices are Bilstein B6 and Koni Heavy Track (adjustable)
These are not direct replacements but should offer a bit more. Bilstein also has an offroad version of the B6 but it seems they cannot be delivered for the Hiace.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Hiace4wd
Hiace Master
Hiace Master

PostSubject: Re: Uprated shock absorbers   Wed May 16, 2018 12:16 pm

I now have the Bilstein B6 fitted to the front and Koni Heavy Track on the back. And wow, what a big difference!!

The ride is muuuch better. It doesn't sway around so much anymore, it is much more stable. So that means cornering speeds are higher and more comfortable, and I don't have to go that slow over bumps.

If you would have the smallest van completely empty, maybe it could be to harsh? But our van is quite heavy with the 4wd, high roof and all the camper stuff inside. So the extra stiffnes in suspension is really welcome.

Also the rear end (with heavy swing out bumper with stuff on it) would always make this extra sway up and down, after a (speed) bump or so. But this is now much better.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
toldsimply
Been here a while
Been here a while

Number of posts : 145
Home City : Maidenhead, UK
Model and year : 1993 Toyota Hiace Super GL 2.8 Litre with selectable 4WD
Registration date : 2012-05-09

PostSubject: Re: Uprated shock absorbers   Wed May 16, 2018 12:36 pm

Thanks for the info on shocks Hiace4wd. When changing my shock absorber bushes the other week I discovered that all may shocks were seized which is probably why it cornered really well as there was so little movement. I've only replaced the front ones as one of them broke as it was removed. Interestingly after replacing the front shocks one of the links(?) holding the anti roll bar sheared off the following week. Trying to find an exact replacement wasn;t easy so ended up making one up with a coach bolt.

Will be replacing the rear shocks shortly. As I've lost a bit of height at the back I don't know whether to change the rear leaf springs completely, or get an extra leaf added, which I think someone had done (it may even have been you?). Any thoughts?
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.richleemusic.com
Hiace4wd
Hiace Master
Hiace Master

PostSubject: Re: Uprated shock absorbers   Wed May 16, 2018 12:41 pm

Yes I had a leaf added to the rear suspension. This was through a specialized company who also got it back into shape (this might already be enough for you).
Replacing the complete spring packs would be quite expensive.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Uprated shock absorbers   

Back to top Go down

Uprated shock absorbers
Page 1 of 1