Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum

Anything Toyota Hiace related

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  

Share | 

Time to buy a Super Custom

Go down 
AuthorMessage
GavTawn

Number of posts : 2
Home City : Nelson, NZ
Registration date : 2018-05-13

PostSubject: Time to buy a Super Custom   Sun May 13, 2018 5:46 am

Hi All,

After many hours spent wandering car yards and web sites we have decided to buy a Super Custom. We live in NZ and will be using it as a camper and daily driver. I am so over sleeping on air beds that deflate and damp tents that need "airing out at home" that the time's come to sell the modest family car and step into a SC. I guess the key things i need to know are as follows,

Should i import and if so do i do it interdependently or go through a dealer? Never imported a vehicle before and i really don`t want to end up with a rust bucket.

Are these vans as reliable as people say?

O.K I clearly have no idea what i'm talking about, that`s why i'm here. I'll leave it to the SC community to advise me in my journey. Also i'd really appreciate links to other SC camper diy conversions. I'm hoping to kit this beast out with some very custom camper parts and accessories of a fairly high quality.

Cheers
Gav

Back to top Go down
View user profile
JT69
Been here a while
Been here a while

Number of posts : 153
Home City : Holmfirth Huddersfield Yorks
Model and year : 1996 3ltr turbo LWB super custom sat nav cruise fitted
Now running on veg oil
Registration date : 2016-12-05

PostSubject: Re: Time to buy a Super Custom   Sun May 13, 2018 8:22 am

Although we are in UK many of your questions apply to us we bought our SC from a dealer/importer very few problems its was a fully converted camper/7 seater low mileage stright from Japan on getting it home discovered the tires were badly cracked on side walls some of these vehicles have been standing out in the sun for years, the dealer replaced them no problem. There is an issue with those that have ECU,s its capacitors that leak at about 20 years old (ours is 22) this causes failure to start (diesels only) however ours turned out to be a dud battery. Have improved it no end with cruise control sat nav bigger water tank solor panel compressor fridge and modern led lights now running on vegetable oil they are a bit thirsty, the 3ltr turbo is most suited to convert to veg as long as you are diligent cleaning your oil. Had it 3 years now and proved to be very reliable nice to drive (auto most are) fast and 4x4 available. You will be very lucky to find one rust free look around the bottom of the cills for traces. Best of luck.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
GavTawn

Number of posts : 2
Home City : Nelson, NZ
Registration date : 2018-05-13

PostSubject: Re: Time to buy a Super Custom   Sun May 13, 2018 8:18 pm

Great thanks for the response, I'll be putting the van into the workshop as soon as it's possible whether it's a fresh import or not. Reliability really is key.

Do you know of a decent site for camper out fitting idea's. I'm planning on doing the work my self but some floor plans with measurements would be super helpful.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Hiace4wd
Hiace Master
Hiace Master

Number of posts : 652
Home City : Netherlands
Model and year : 1994 Toyota Hiace 4x4 DIY camper
Registration date : 2016-02-01

PostSubject: Re: Time to buy a Super Custom   Mon May 14, 2018 6:44 am

It is roughly 155cm wide inside. SWB probably has 260cm length behind front seats. LWB 290cm. Extra lwb has 320cm maybe?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
toldsimply
Been here a while
Been here a while

Number of posts : 138
Home City : Maidenhead, UK
Model and year : 1993 Toyota Hiace Super GL 2.8 Litre with selectable 4WD
Registration date : 2012-05-09

PostSubject: Re: Time to buy a Super Custom   Mon May 14, 2018 1:10 pm

This company import Hiace's to anywhere in the world. https://carfromjapan.com I fell in love with a v8 ambulance version, but I'll stick with my Super custom for now. Some really good examples on there.

I've had mine for 6 years and it's my daily driver. Other than consumables (tyres, exhaust pipe, brake pads) I haven't had to do a thing. The 2.8 is not the fastest, so if you can go for the 3litre as you get a turbo with that.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.richleemusic.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Time to buy a Super Custom   

Back to top Go down

Time to buy a Super Custom
Page 1 of 1