Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum

Anything Toyota Hiace related

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  

Share | 

Upper arm Ball joint

Go down 
AuthorMessage
JT69
Been here a while
Been here a while

Number of posts : 142
Home City : Holmfirth Huddersfield Yorks
Model and year : 1996 3ltr turbo LWB super custom sat nav cruise fitted
Now running on veg oil
Registration date : 2016-12-05

PostSubject: Upper arm Ball joint   Wed May 16, 2018 8:27 am

Suspension on my SC is still knocking replaced drop links shocks sway bar bushes now suspect upper arm ball joints looks to me we have to replace the whole arm not just the ball joint is this the part 48067-29095 or is it possible to just do the ball joint.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
GPW
Hiace Master
Hiace Master

Number of posts : 645
Home City : Cambridge, UK
Model and year : Model: KD-KZH100G-MRPGT
Year: 1996
Colour: 4K1
Trim: FN42

Registration date : 2016-07-16

PostSubject: Re: Upper arm Ball joint   Wed May 16, 2018 9:47 am

You can check the joints:

The Hiace's front torsion bar suspension acts on the upper arm so the upper balljoint is under load at all times.

If jacked so the wheels hang loose the balljoint hangs away from its seat and some up-and-down movement will be seen if the wheel is crowbarred in the usual MOT lift-check.

According to Toyota main-dealer testers the suspension should be jacked under the lower arms for this test, if there is no sideways movement in the joint, no noise on swivelling and no lift more than a few mm, then the joint passes.

Some joints seem to be replaceable, some don't, some have no grease nipples, some have blanking bolts and some have no facility for them (mine!) so I'll have to peel back the boot, unload them and try to grease them that way (Moly grease IIRC).

The problem with a knocking noise is that is can be very difficult to trace and can be totally unrelated to suspension too, I'd check radiators are mounted correctly etc too.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
JT69
Been here a while
Been here a while

Now running on veg oil

PostSubject: Re: Upper arm Ball joint   Wed May 16, 2018 10:00 am

It is definitely suspension related as when lifting with two post lift there was the same knock sound as it came off the ground this is why I am now suspecting the ball joints is this number 48067-29095 part on ebay the correct part got the number from JP-car parts .com, looks correct on ebay 72.00.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
GPW
Hiace Master
Hiace Master

PostSubject: Re: Upper arm Ball joint   Wed May 16, 2018 10:21 am

That's a very encouraging price and availability!!

Apart from the roof I think you have exactly the same van as me, 1996 SC with the 3ltr.

I'll let Hiace4wd confirm the part number as I have no idea: he has Toyota contacts IIRC.

Could you post your parts link? (not the ebay one, the jpparts one!)

Mine is a KZH100G-MRPGT (1993/08 - 2004/08) model so I look here
http://jp-carparts.com/toyota/figlist.php?maker=toyota&type=711140&cartype=136

Specifically this page:
http://jp-carparts.com/toyota/partlist.php?maker=toyota&type=711140&cartype=136&fig=4802

Image 1 and 2 differ, mine matches image 2, part 48066 (RH) and 48067 (LH)
For 1996 this comes out as
48066-29095 Right
48067-29095 Left

So my research agrees with your part numbers.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
JT69
Been here a while
Been here a while

Now running on veg oil

PostSubject: Re: Upper arm Ball joint   Wed May 16, 2018 10:34 am

Yes we concur on part numbers easily available on ebay just got to be certain on diagnosis if I slacken the torsion bar off all the way I should be able to check for play in the ball joint as there is still much pressure on the ball joint if not unwound, or option 2 take the hex nut off knock joint out of hub to check it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Hiace4wd
Hiace Master
Hiace Master

Number of posts : 648
Home City : Netherlands
Model and year : 1994 Toyota Hiace 4x4 DIY camper
Registration date : 2016-02-01

PostSubject: Re: Upper arm Ball joint   Wed May 16, 2018 11:06 am

I have no Toyota contacts haha. I just find my way on Toyodiy

@JT96, can you share your model code? Like KZH100G-MRPGT or so, which is on the VIN plate under engine cover (under left chair).
Alternatively you can also give the whole VIN number.

I think there are mainly two types. Super customs with 1KZ (and probably 2wd) are likely to have to one with a seperate ball joint. The vans with 4 cilinders 2.4 or 2.8 diesels, and specifically with 4wd have the whole thing in one, no separate ball joint.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
JT69
Been here a while
Been here a while

Now running on veg oil

PostSubject: Re: Upper arm Ball joint   Wed May 16, 2018 11:28 am

I am sure its all one piece as on the JP site picture shows no separate ball joint my model number is KZH132V-EFPDT (1995/08 - 2004/08
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Hiace4wd
Hiace Master
Hiace Master

Number of posts : 648
Home City : Netherlands
Model and year : 1994 Toyota Hiace 4x4 DIY camper
Registration date : 2016-02-01

PostSubject: Re: Upper arm Ball joint   Wed May 16, 2018 12:11 pm

If you have exactly a KZH132V-EFPDT than it is all one piece.

But if I throw in the part number into Ebay (this is just one side) you get immitation brand for pretty cheap:
https://www.ebay.nl/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_sacat=0&_nkw=48067-29095&rt=nc&LH_PrefLoc=3

If you would have a seperate ball joint, there would be two bolts visible through the upper arm. Should be visible with wheel removed or turned completely to one side.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
GPW
Hiace Master
Hiace Master

PostSubject: Re: Upper arm Ball joint   Wed May 16, 2018 7:06 pm

If you dangle a smartphone over the front wheel you can take a picture of the control arm fitted to your van, or use a small mirror.

As I said - mine is the Image 2 but there is a different style in image 1, but they both look so different I think you'll know quickly enough.

For 72 delivered I'd be changing both for the german parts, in fact even if mine pass the MOT I'll probably buy a pair in reserve. They are $309 each on the jp-parts site + import duty and postage.
IF they are made by Febi they're great value, but I suspect any genuine german part will be good, at least no one is going to make fake parts for the old Hiace as the market is too small (the bearing world for cars is awash in fakes - always get bearings for reputable sources). The photos don't show grease nipples - would be interested to see if they have them.

ETA: You can buy Febest direct from here:
https://shop.febest.eu/left-upper-front-arm-0124-lh154lh.html
https://shop.febest.eu/right-upper-front-arm-0124-lh154rh.html
Back to top Go down
View user profile
MalL
Not so new now
Not so new now

Number of posts : 90
Home City : Brisbane
Model and year : LH119 1991
Registration date : 2010-11-27

PostSubject: Re: Upper arm Ball joint   Thu May 17, 2018 12:04 am

It may just be worth checking this: my Hiace developed a knock in the front suspension, as you describe. It was found to be a broken bracket which holds the torsion bar in place. (one each side I believe). Toyota were unable to source a replacement part but it was so simple that a local metal working place made one as it's only mild steel in a ? shape.
If you're lucky and this has happened to yours it would be way cheaper than the ball joint.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
JT69
Been here a while
Been here a while

Now running on veg oil

PostSubject: Re: Upper arm Ball joint   Thu May 17, 2018 8:52 am

No broken brackets but thanks to all and especial GPW will buy those from Germany as soon as I take old one off to diagnose them.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Upper arm Ball joint   

Back to top Go down

Upper arm Ball joint
Page 1 of 1